Am I losing my Mind Dealing with DTV?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by wb1205, Jan 12, 2019.

1. wb1205

wb1205 Cool Member

Aug 12, 2007
    So long time 20+ year customer that has reached my breaking point. I call to reactivate a genie client and that's pretty straight forward agree to another 12months of DTV service and such. Well they somehow populated my account with the same client device twice - same serial and mac address on the clients in the DTV system. I've been on the phone for 1.5 hrs every day for the last week. I am told they have a network mapping issue. They can't fix. Oh and they can't deactivate the client that was added (but can't be added due to their error). I've spent way too large of a portion of my life dealing with this and am now pulling boxes out of the equipment closet.

I've had US support, Montana, Georgia?, the Philippines and some incredibly rude "loyalty" people as well. Anyone have any suggestions prior to pulling the plug entirely?

Thanks!

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'm with you, this new system sucks.

Rich

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Do that quick as possible, your mental health is in danger ! :)

tecnicoloco likes this.
  4. tivofan2018

tivofan2018 Member

Oct 19, 2018
    i would not touch directv now with a 20 ft pole!!! i tried to sign up for service and they thought i wanted to send a box back dumb asses!!! then another lady tried her dammest to get me to sign up for dtv now wich sucks just like the rest of att!!! this is what you get when you hire the 40 cent a day rice workers most are rude think they know what's best for you or they just can't understand you at all among other topics. wich leads to loss of subs. i liked it better back in the 90's they had world class customer service in merica not slaves working for em

5. wb1205

wb1205 Cool Member

Aug 12, 2007
    It just won't stop. I call again, they see but can't fix the issue. Want to charge to send a tech. I asked what the tech would do, they say fix it. Oh, how I ask, they just say they will.

Tech shows up tonight. Nice guy was at my house 5 years ago when the genie and the device I'm trying to activate was installed! He laughed, I showed him the situation, told him that I've got 12hrs into dtv and no resolution. He was professional but acknowledged on the old DTV system, this would be fixed and the van would never had to be sent. Anyway, he spent 2hrs on the phone while on site observing and had to leave with the problem not fixed!

My genie only thinks it's licensed for one location, but my account has 2 allowed.

6. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    Are you being charged for the second client? I assume you are and that getting a refund is going to be a pain in the arse.

Yep customer service at DTV absolutely sucks and you just cannot believe anything a CSR tells you. I am not sure if they are just flat out lying or really have no clue.

7. wb1205

wb1205 Cool Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Yes being charged for the second client. I called before scheduling the tech and asked to simply cancel the ckient and was informed I only had 24 hrs to cancel. I said I had been on the phone 12hrs in 1.5-2hr increments over the last week, she said tough you are bound by the extension.

So tech was here yesterday for 2hrs no fix, here I am today no call, no text, no email and it still doesn't work.

200k subscribers lost last quarter? Yeah the rest are right behind them. Me included. I'll play whatever game they want but have decided to spend just as much time finding a different solution. Only because of the terrible experience. I had to look. Dtv since 1996. 23 years? Wow. See ya. I will however update how this **** show progresses. "We will send a tech and he will fix it" how? And when TS has told me its a database issue on ATT side what do I need a tech for? Coffee, jokes and still no resolution. LMFAO you can't make this stuff up.

8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Terrible to read such a post...and what's really terrible is...it's the truth! I thought D* was bad, but ATT has taken customer service to a new low.

Rich

jimmie57 likes this.
  9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've done the research and I'm still here. I can't get past the sports thing. Just baseball and football. That's all I need D* for and I can't find a better way. Let us know what you find, please.

Rich

10. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    They got me by the short hairs because I think the picture quality alone is a deciding factor, I just cannot go to anything that does not have equal or better PQ.. There aggressive moves towards making 4K a true reality is also another bonus but the CSR Dept just makes all the good things feel meaningless.

Rich likes this.
  11. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    I would try chat and just tell them you need to remove a client. Give them the info and poof. If it removes both then chat back and add it back

12. grover517

grover517 AllStar

Sep 29, 2007
    With what seems like ever increasing amounts of subscriber losses, I wonder how many like me are just hanging by a thread and could also leave at anytime.

The flexibility of using our service between our home and RV as well as picture quality are the only things that have kept us around for over 20 years. The sports I watch can be seen elsewhere, we have no need for 4k at this point, and the wife pushes back at pretty much anything that requires a new remote. But at every turn, the screws are tightening and our days with DirecTV are dwindling quickly. Picture quality is tough to give up, but that's about the only thing keeping me around.

From the RC1 system basically ending our ability to receive locals in our RV at our seasonal site and DNS (distant network service) applications no longer being processed, to the HS17 hardware path of a centralized setup (single point of failure) with limited tuners (we have 12 tuners across 5 receivers) and not allowing any other DVR's on the same account are all negatives for us. So at this point there is absolutely no way I will allow a hardware upgrade or do anything to my account that would incur a new agreement and it appears to be only a matter of time before we say goodbye as well.

Microphone and Rich like this.
  13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Great post! If the MLB network would put aside the restrictions I'd drop D* in a heartbeat. The PQ is no loss, the games don't look that good and I get a better picture streaming series online than what D* gives us. I haven't watched a series on D* for a couple years. Movies? None on D* for years.

Rich

14. William9182

William9182 New Member

Jan 18, 2019
    This is an issue with the new att system that we use to complete work orders. Once a reciever or client is deactivated from the account there is no way to reactivate it. The ONLY solution is to have to client completely removed your account and have an upgrade built to install a new client.

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I can only think you are an ATT employee. If you are, how did this happen? Why would the system D* built and maintained for years that worked so well be ignored? I never had an issue with my bill. Never. Then I get transitioned to the ATT account and have problems that they can't fix easily. How does that happen? How does ATT get away with this nonsense? Five days to get a refurb activated? Why?
    Rich

16. William9182

William9182 New Member

Jan 18, 2019
    No I don't work directly for AT&t I'm a contractor that does installations I have resolved this issue for customers in the past after spending hours on the phone the only solution was to build an upgrade and add a new client as far as how the system left this out I'm not sure but to be frank this is one of the smaller issues with the new system you would not believe some of the things they forgot when they tried migrating the old DirecTV system was perfect but for some reason AT&t wanted it to look like their existing systems the people they had working on it had zero experience with DirecTV there was talk about scrapping the entire system and starting over but apparently they have found a company that claims they can fix everything. Are you in contract with DirecTV or not?

Rich likes this.
  17. grover517

grover517 AllStar

Sep 29, 2007
    Updating a system's "look and feel" is the easy part compared to migrating the underlying business logic and from the issues you, I and many others have already encountered with the old DirecTV system vs. the new ATT (RC1) system, I have to think that there is much more going on here than just a simple "face lift", but rather a complete data structure and business logic migration underneath as well.

I have personally seen how these types of migrations can go horribly wrong and the RC1 system is a good example of just such a debacle. The best thing ATT could have done was to toss out the baby with the bath water and start over. I highly doubt adding a second vendor into the mix, who also has no experience with the old system and now has to figure out what the first vendor messed up, well let's just say "we haven't seen nuttin' yet" in regards to how bad things can truly get.

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'll agree with that. After five days of trying to activate an HR that was sent to me the ATT CSRs finally gave up and sent me to a D* CSR. He tried to activate the HR and gave up. He told me, "They have this so screwed up I have to send someone out to your home. I cannot do anything here." It's gonna get worse. If they can't do something that simple how are they gonna cope with more complicated problems?

Best thing they could have done is leave things as they were and use the D* CSRs in place of the untrained people they have manning the phones.

Rich

Delroy E Walleye likes this.
  19. William9182

William9182 New Member

Jan 18, 2019
    When they first rolled out rc1 we had to cancel a customers account and re sell it to them because they put the wrong address on the account (caused local issues) and noone could modify. I can't even resend auth from rc1 work orders I have to call into Ivr which is insane. We can't even add equipment to the orders on service calls. And they wonder why lnbs aren't getting consumed properly. I swear att and Comcast had a bet of who could put dtv out of business first and att said "hold my beer watch this".

Microphone likes this.
  20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    OMG! What a post! Been laughing for a couple minutes. Well said.

That has crossed my mind more than once. I didn't understand ATT purchasing D* in the first place.

Rich