1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AM21 and CSR'S

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by sstv, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Jun 1, 2013 #1 of 14
    sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    Hi All
    A frind of mine asked to help him set up his AM21. He had spent a long afternoon talking to Directv CSR'S and was very frustrated.
    A quick check of his system showed everything hooked up correctly so I asked what his problem was. He stated that he was not getting all the OTA channels that another TV was getting.
    I told him the other TV did a true over the air scan and the AM21/HR24 only picks up what is in the "Tribune Media" data base.
    Directv CSR'S should say "IF ITS NOT IN THE DATA BASE, THEN YOU ARE NOT GOING TO GET IT" ITS A local issue between the missing OTA channel and Tribune Media.
    Call your local station and inform them that the station you are missing is not in the Tribune data base. They should be happy to get this info and take care of the problem

SSTV

2. Jun 1, 2013 #2 of 14
    gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    AM21 issues (heck even the very existence of the AM21) are not covered well by first tier CSRs.

3. Jun 1, 2013 #3 of 14
    studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Plus the fact that new stations are not being added to the data base very often.

4. Jun 1, 2013 #4 of 14
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    And even more frustrating is that even if TMS puts it in their database, chances are DIRECTV will not add it to their's these days. Local 5-3 "This TV" is that way in the LA market for example.

Also all local LP (or CD) digital stations have been removed from DIRECTV's database as well even though TMS contains them.

5. Jun 1, 2013 #5 of 14
    r028806

r028806 Mentor

Mar 12, 2010
    AM 21 does not truly scan when connected to HR2X. Channels must be in the Tribune Database, and added by DIRECTV. This could happen. In select markets, the AM21 is being explored as and alterative to DTV paying big $ for what customers could get for $0, OTA. :righton:

6. Jun 2, 2013 #6 of 14
    o7RAVENS

o7RAVENS Mentor

Oct 28, 2007
    Baltimore Md.
    Does the AM21 work well with the HR34 and the HR44 ?

7. Jun 2, 2013 #7 of 14
    jcwest

jcwest Legend

May 3, 2006
    Mine works perfectly with the HR34.

J C

8. Jun 2, 2013 #8 of 14
    Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    Yep, but the blue light never shuts off, and on the HR44 you have to use a separate power cord for the AM21 as the HR44 has it's own power supply.

9. Jun 2, 2013 #9 of 14
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Works fine, except for one minor irritant for some who like to turn the lights on the HR34, HR44 (due to the way its hooked up) off when not being viewed. The blue power lamp on the AM21(N) remains lit all the time. Nor is there a way to even dim it.

A piece of black electrical tape is the usual solution for those.

10. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    IIRC, the black electrical tape solution was first publicized on Saturday Night Live in 1983. Interesting that 30 years later a handy tip remains current.

11. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    The AM21 works great with the HR34

SSTV

12. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    Where would one go to see the list of what channels are in there area VIA the AM21?

13. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    While not always fully accurate, see the "OTA" tab in gct's transponder mapping data by market and Zap2it.com (minus the low power digital stations) for what's available in DIRECTV's off-air the database that the H/HR2X models will receive with the AM21(N).

For the HR34/44 which actively scan off-air, check RabbitEars.info

14. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    There is actually a trick you can pull on the AM-21.

To set up the channels the AM-21 receives, you enter a ZIP code. This adds the channels that are in DirecTV's over-the-air database for that ZIP code to your program guide and then the AM-21 is told to tune to them when you select those channels from your guide.

For some folks that have a huge outdoor antenna and can receive stations from a considerable distance away, you are allowed to specify TWO ZIP codes. For example, I live about 20 miles south of Milwaukee and if I had a big outside antenna (like some of my neighbors), I could point it south and pick up the Chicago OTA channels. So if I had an AM-21, I could program my LOCAL ZIP code and a ZIP code from Chicago so I could get stations from both markets on my AM-21.

Now here's the trick.

Let's say there is a station in your local area that isn't in DirecTV's database for your ZIP code. Let's say it's actual OTA channel 28 (the actual frequency it transmits it's digital signal on-not the pre-digital number it fools you into thinking you are watching by displaying it)

If you can find a ZIP code where there is a station in DirecTV's database ON THAT SAME EXACT OTA FREQUENCY you can enter it into your DVR and the program info for that distant station will appear in your guide. Of course, you won't be able to pick up that distant channel since there is a LOCAL channel in your area on the same frequency. But the AM-21 doesn't know that!! So you tune to that channel and presto! You are watching your local channel on your AM-21 even though the program info in the guide is wrong. You'll have to figure out the program schedule for your local station and then set up recordings yourself using the MANUAL feature or even just pick programs from the remote channel that air at the same time. Of course you must remember that the program titles will always be wrong.

This trick also works for subchannels if you can find a distant station on the SAME OTA FREQUENCY with the SAME SUBCHANNEL NUMBER your local station is using.

Once again, remember the ACTUAL FREQUENCY has to be the same. Digital stations have kept their "old" channel number in guide listings and painted on their trucks so as not to confuse viewers during the digital transition but virtually ALL stations switched the frequency their transmitter is on.

This takes a little detective work and effort but it really works!