AM21 help

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by drew64, Jul 25, 2015.

1. drew64

drew64 Legend

Jun 12, 2004
    I had purchased an Am 21 to help make things easier with OTA stations. I can record and see them in guide without switching inputs. I hooked up the AM21 and set it up. It doesent seem to pull in all the channels I received when I just used the antenna hooked directly to tv. I have an HR24 DVR. Seem to be missing 2.2 which is decades TV and 68.3 Get tv. A few others can't think of. If database not updated by DTV is it possible to use a splitter and hook up antenna to tv as well as AM 21 to get missing channels

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Scanning was possible for a time on a Genie, but no longer and they don't update the database.

3. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    IMHO DIRECTV made a bad call when they removed the scanning option on the Genie's.

As to your second question, yes you can use a splitter to feed your OTA antenna signal to both the AM21 and your TV, assuming the signal is strong enough. I'd try it first and if you're now missing channels on the TV you had before try an amp to see if that helps.

4. coconut13

coconut13 Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    Yes, if you split your antenna feed (one to AM21 and the other to TV). You will be able to view the channels on your TV tuner. Another way to get the channels in your DVR/AM21 is by running secondary zip codes on the initial setup on the AM21. I know you can get 2.2 and 68.3 in NY by running secondary zip codes. I don't think you can get the guides to match, but you would be able to view the channels. I will check for you and be back with another post.

5. coconut13

coconut13 Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    If you run your NY zip as primary and run Orlando FL (32801) as your secondary zip on the initial setup on the AM21 you should get channels 2.2, 68.3 and 68.4. They will have the wrong guide info (Orlando channel guide info) but you will be able to view and record them on your AM21. With the size of the NY and Orlando DMA's you might have some unwanted channels when you run both zips. You just have to weed them out with your favorites list. If there are more channels missing in your NY DMA, I'm sure it's possible to maybe get them. Just list the channels you are looking for.

6. drew64

drew64 Legend

Jun 12, 2004
    I will try the Orlando zip code. I did just use the splitter and get all the channels I was missing but need to switch the input on tv and can't record any of them.

7. coconut13

coconut13 Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    If Orlando works, here something else to try. I've studied the NY DMA. It looks like channels 5.3, 9.3 and 9.4 are not in D* database for NY. Run the initial setup again, using Bristol VA (24201) and Minneapolis MN (55401) as your secondary. This will give you 5.3 WCYB in your guide (Which is the DECADES guide). 9.3 and 9.4 will be from Minneapolis. 9.4 KMSP is currently BOUNCE, but is switching to BUZZR on/or about Sept. 1st. This procedure would put the Decades and Buzzr guides in your DVR, although they would be on the wrong channels, plus adding 5.3, 9.3 and 9.4 channels in NY.

8. drew64

drew64 Legend

Jun 12, 2004
    Tried the Orlando zip code but it did not work. It took away my cbs sub channels though. Kind of pissed that DTV won't update data. Why sell the box if can't get all stations got before. Better just getting the basic TiVo OTA box.

9. drew64

drew64 Legend

Jun 12, 2004
    Actually reran setup and see more channels just not I guide right. Interesting. Missing 9.3 buzzer and 11.2 antenna tv

10. coconut13

coconut13 Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    I'm surprised it didn't work. Probably the size and all the channels (and their RF channels) in the NY DMA has something to do with it. I would run it again and see what happens. Sometimes you have to do it that way. Make sure you have your guide set to "ALL" channels as sometimes new channels on the AM21 won't appear on a custom list.

11. coconut13

coconut13 Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    11.2 is in the database for NY. Run Bristol and Minneapolis and check your results. Minneapolis should give you 9.3. Your 11.2 RF11 in NY ( Antenna TV) was maybe wiped out, because Orlando's 2.2 is broadcast on RF11. By running the setup again it might/might not come back. Sometimes conflicting channels/RFchannels will cancel each other out. This might be your problem with 11.2.

12. drew64

drew64 Legend

Jun 12, 2004
    Will give it a try later.