1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AM21 is there a rescan?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bww, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Mar 2, 2011 #1 of 63
    bww

bww Legend

Feb 15, 2006
    Just got an AM21 and it seems fine but when I did the initial setup I did not get 5.3 (KTLA in LA) but I can get it on my tv tuner just fine. Is there a way to rescan the channels without redoing the setup?? Is there a way of finding out if this is not in the list Directv uses?

2. Mar 2, 2011 #2 of 63
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    There isn't a way to rescan with the AM21. It is possible that there are channels you will get with your TV tuner that are not available on the AM21. Not all of the subchannels available for a station will be available on the AM21.

- Merg

3. Mar 2, 2011 #3 of 63
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    The AM21 doesn't do a scan, it looks at a table of local ATSC channels that DIRECTV loads into your receiver. So if DIRECTV hasn't added that sub channel to the receiver you can't receive it.

4. Mar 2, 2011 #4 of 63
    bww

bww Legend

Feb 15, 2006
    Thanks that solves my problem of looking for a rescan choice.

When the channel I am missing appears on the Directv list (if it ever does) will it automatically just show up?

Does anyone know what is on the table that got loaded for Los Angeles?

5. Mar 2, 2011 #5 of 63
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    What channel are you missing? I have a pretty comprehensive list of channels in So. Cal, I think there's only one or two subchannels missing.

6. Mar 2, 2011 #6 of 63
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Your best bet is to call DIRECTV and ask them why you're not getting thisTV over-the-air.

Tribune has the guide data available (it shows up on ZAP2it) so it appears to be a DIRECTV issue.

7. Mar 2, 2011 #7 of 63
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Good luck trying to get KTLA 5-3 added;

Been trying to do it for months working with DirecTV, TMS, and KTLA, ever since Antenna TV went active on 5-2 back in December and thereby bumping THIS TV to sub-channel 5-3.

No luck at all... :nono2:

DirecTV and KTLA are clueless, and TMS just turns the issue over to their support team and then it dies there.

8. Mar 2, 2011 #8 of 63
    harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I'm guessing that Tribune can't force DIRECTV to accept and incorporate the data so there seems little point in chasing after Tribune even if they're the only ones who will show you any respect.

DIRECTV is the problem and while you may be able to get KTLA to throw their weight behind you, they can't make it happen if DIRECTV is not feeling the need.

9. Mar 2, 2011 #9 of 63
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    You know, while disappointed I can live with the fact that DirecTV for whatever it's peculiar reasons (though I can't imagine why not) felt the need not to carry it, but based on their continued litany of ridiculously clueless responses about OTA technical problems like this I can't confirm that even understand what I'm talking about to begin with.

For instance many CSRs or others who answer email correspondence at DirecTV do not even know what the AM21 is. Or do not know the difference between locals carried on the satellite as opposed to received via off-air antenna. Or they tell me to rescan, or perhaps the signal strength of that sub-channel is insufficient to receive it. ...etc. ...sign :nono2:

That's why I tried others like KTLA or TMS, hoping they would have better contacts to more technically competent people at DirecTV beyond the frontline representatives that we (subs.) have access to.

But then again on one note I guess DirecTV shouldn't feel too bad as the last call I made to the programming Dept. at local KTLA couldn't understand the difference between the satellite delivered locals and OTA either...so ... :rolleyes:

10. thelucky1

thelucky1 Icon

Feb 23, 2009
    It is my understanding that Directv Engineering is no longer adding all off-air stations as part of the integrated guide due to guide capacity restrictions.

11. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Well ...

If true OK then,

But they apparently had the guide capacity to add a new sub-channel (an SD mirror for the main) to the OTA list for local KDOC 56-3 when their main sub recently went back to broadcasting in HD format with freed up bandwidth from the collapsed SEZMI OTA pay channel service.

12. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    It's not a guide capacity issue, not that I know of. Who gave you that understanding?

13. thelucky1

thelucky1 Icon

Feb 23, 2009
    Stuart check the PM I just sent to you.

14. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Thanks... I'm investigating that.

15. sbelmont

sbelmont Legend

Aug 5, 2007
    You large market people have it made. We can't even get D* to add our HD Fox station to the OTA mappings. They say a Class A station is considered an LP and they do not map LP's. That might make sense when there are 30OTA stations, but now when there are 5.

And no they do not have our locals in HD.

Please give us back the ability scan for OTA stations.

16. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    I don't think we ever had scan capability in any of the HD-DVRs. I have one of the first ones (HR20-700) , and while the manual stated it had scanning, it was never implemented. In fact, when the 20-700 first came out, it didn't have OTA capability at all (it wasn't in the firmware yet). It wasn't until the Santa firmware update that we began testing it in the CE program.

All that said, fortunately, I get all the channels OTA that I need in this area of Iowa. Others are not so fortunate.

17. DJ Rob

DJ Rob Godfather

Jul 24, 2003
    They have removed a couple of sub-channels here in the Denver market over the last few weeks. I hope Directv changes their stance on this and adds/re-adds sub-channels they are missing that Tribune has listed.

18. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    I've heard this too. Let's see if Stuart can get more details.

19. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The HR10-250 does. This was one of the hopes for the new DIRECTiVo as well.

20. codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Wisconsin
    The H20 has it......or had it. It has been awhile since I used one.