AM21/OTA & HR34 - temp removal of dish

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by leadout_kv, Sep 3, 2013.

1. leadout_kv

leadout_kv Mentor

Nov 4, 2006
    Hi All

I have an AM21 (ota from attic antenna) connected to a HR34 and all is working fine. For the next couple of days (9/4 & 9/5) I am getting a new roof installed which will require the satellite dish to be temporarily removed from my roof. DirecTV is scheduled to return Friday afternoon (9/6).

Will my local channels received from my AM21 continue to be displayed even though my dish and the satellite signal will be out for a couple of days?

p.s - I'm a Ravens fan so I'm hoping I'll still be able to watch the Ravens game Thursday night.

Thanks

2. coconut13

coconut13 Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    They should. Mine always do when their's rain fade. So you should be okay. One thing though the "new roof" your putting on might change how your antenna receives the OTA channels. If it's the same type roof your probably okay. But a metal roof might adversly affect antenna reception.

3. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    As long as you don't disconnect the power from the HR34 you should be fine. If you disconnect its power you may end up with issues.

That said if for some reason it doesn't want to work I would think you could just disconnect the OTA antenna coax from the AM21 and hook it up directly to your TV (assuming your TV has an ATSC tuner).

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Although you wont get any guide data....and it will most likely nag you. But should still function. As long as you dont shut down the HR34 and just disconnect the sat feeds from the back of it when they go to remove the dish from the roof.

5. moghedien

moghedien Legend

Dec 3, 2007
    In my experience, if the receiver doesn't acquire guide data for 12 hours, the box will automatically reset. If there is no signal at that time, there will be no program data, no channel data. without channel data, you can't even tune the OTA channels. At that point, you might as well attach the antenna coax directly to the TV.

6. leadout_kv

leadout_kv Mentor

Nov 4, 2006
    I appreciate everyone's answers but your answer is kinda what I am expecting. I have a coax splitter so I will probably just split the antenna signal (one to the AM21 and the other directly to the TV) and watch the game directly off the tv. It'll work for now!

7. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yup, we have a winner