1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AM21 problem

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Church AV Guy, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Godfather

Jul 9, 2007
    I am a long-time DirecTV customer (1996) but a new AM21 owner.

I am in an outlying area, so some channels are much stronger than others. My television gets all of the channels very well, no pixelation or breakup/pausing, except for one channel and it's sub channel.

I connected my new AM21 and turned it on, went through the setup process. I got all the channels listed in the guide. I checked the signal strength and they all showed up as pretty good except the ones that I knew are very week. I have been able to get channels like 2-1, 4-1, 5-1, etc. All of the x-1 channels come in well, which is useless because those are the channels that I get form the DirecTV via satellite. It's the sub channels I wanted. On every single sub channel, I get the dreaded 792 error and nothing else--ever, not even a single frame of data. As I said, the signal meter shows the channel as being there, and with the same strength as the "x-1" channels, but it won't tune them in.

I called DorecTV, and they basically said it was not their problem, and told me to go through setup again. Solid Signal said the same thing, and also suggested I attach it to all of the receivers I have (I have two HR22s and an HR21). I have done what they suggested, reboots, clearing setup and redoing it, changing receivers. It has continued to work the same way on each receiver, and every time I have attempted to use it.

Any ideas or suggestions? I have reset it many times.

I now have the local channels in the guide of all my receivers. How do I get them to disappear from my guide? Yeah, I can uncheck them, but if I have a keyword search, it lists programs on those channels, even though the AM21 has been removed from the receiver.

Thanks,

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It can't scan for channels, so if the sub channel isn't in DirecTVs database, you won't get it. The HR34 will scan, but you not get guide data.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    When I remove the AM21, I also go into the OTA setup menu and reset it.

The lack of sub channels has been a problem from the beginning, if it isn't in the DirecTV database.

Only the HR34 seems to find them with a AM21

4. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Surprisingly there is a fair amount of guide data for them here.

5. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    This doesn't seem to be his issue though. It sounds like the -2 sub channels are showing up in the guide and have show info, but when he tries to tune to them he doesn't get anything. I'm wondering if maybe the RF mapping in the database is wrong for the channels? I think I remember hearing someone on here reporting that before. Something about the channel changing its frequency but not telling tribune so the info in the guide data was wrong. I think they had to keep calling back to DirecTV and got transferred around a bunch until they were finally able to get in touch with someone there that fixed the mapping issue.

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Even if the channel isn't in the database?

7. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Since I don't know what is in the database, I can only comment on the ones I get connected to the HR34, that weren't there with the HR24.
    I don't see any generic guide info for them.

8. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Godfather

Jul 9, 2007
    Yes! The channels ARE in the database. They show up in the guide, and they have the correct program information for the whole two weeks. They show up as present and with good signal strength in the signal meter page--all of them, but the x-2, x-3, etc channels cannot be tuned in. It attempts to go to the channels, so it knows that they are there, but on every x.y channel, where y is greater than 1, the device gives me a 792 error. Not some of them, or most of them ALL of them. It is NOT a database issue!

DirecTV was no help, and Solid Signal was only a little more help. I have reset the thing several times, both power-wise, and through the menues, repeating the set up process. Still the 792 error persists.:(

9. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I can't get any information as to what the 792 error relates to.
    I do know the H/HR2x have never been able to tune to sub channels not in the database, "but" the HR34 is able to, so this suggests you're getting the same guide data as the 34s, but are still limited by the software in the H/HR2x.
    I don't know if there are plans to change the H/HR2x, so for now I think you're just out of luck.

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Since I'm not running normal software, I connected my AM21 to my HR24 [again] and looked into this.
    It does look like DirecTV is planning to add sub-channels in a future software update.

I was able to tune to all the same sub-channels as I can with my HR34.

So Church AV Guy, you're simply caught between the guide data being there and the current software not being able to tune to the channels.

11. mrphil

mrphil Cool Member

Dec 11, 2011
    What ZIP(s) are you inputting?

12. Michael H..

Michael H.. Member

May 31, 2007
    If you've connected the OTA coax directly to the TV (bypassing the HR21 and AM21) and you get the subchannels that you do not when connecting the OTA coax to the HR21 and AM21, then your problem "might" be the same as I've been getting with a subchannel.
    Check out the post:
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=205633

Also, see if you can locate anyone else in your DMA with an AM21 (edit your post and provide a zip so others can reply here), and find out if they have the same issue, so that you can eliminate the possibility that the problem is unique to you.

13. mrphil

mrphil Cool Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Do you have a link to that info? I have a channel I'd like to tune to and don't really need guide info, although it would be nice to have that as well...

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I don't think they've got these "scanning" for channels as the 34 does, but have expanded channels in the guide that have data.
    There still isn't anything to say what the 792 error means, but the OP does have the channels in the guide, but subs beyond -1, won't play. I've checked mine here and get subs through -6 to play, and they also have guide data, so I suspect a software update will get the OP's subs working.

If you're looking for channels that don't have guide data, only the HR34 can tune to them, with the AM21.

15. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    The problem you are having has been seen before. The station appears in the guide, but it can't be tuned to. The reason is the data coming from Tribune is wrong. It is telling the sat box to tune to a specific frequency for that channel, but the frequency is wrong, so it won't receive it.

The only way to correct it is to call your local TV station, and talk to the engineer in charge. If you are really nice to him, and explain the problem, he has the capability to contact Tribune and give them the right information for the sub-channels that do show up in the guide, but cannot be received, even though they are strong.

So....if the channels are in the guide and if they are "strong", and you still don't get them, then the data that D* is using is "wrong" and won't tune the sat box to the right frequency. This will only be corrected by your local tv station provider, and only the engineer will have a clue how to fix it.

Even if he does help you, it could take a couple weeks for the info to get to, and be processed by Tribune Media (the database provider for OTA to DirecTV)

16. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    While this may in fact be the problem, why would it be for all the subs beyond -1 on all the channels?

17. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    My "guess" is that these were of very little concern to the people who provided the data, and so it was done with little care. Otherwise, I"m either completely wrong or it is a coincidence.

Having been through the "in the guide but doesn't work", before, his symptoms just struck a chord.

If OTA is really imporant, it almost seems that the HR34 is the answer, albeit an expensive one.:)

18. mrphil

mrphil Cool Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Originally Posted by veryoldschool
    It does look like DirecTV is planning to add sub-channels in a future software update.

Can you point me to the discussion regarding the future software update regarding sub-channels? I've done several searches but can't locate it...

19. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    There isn't one in an open forum.

20. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    It "struck a cord" with me too.
    "I thought" those were the days where the whole channel could be found, so a work around was to search for another market that had the same frequency and use that zipcode.
    I can see the whole channel missing, or the subs missing, as that hasn't been uncommon.
    This seems strange as they're in the guide, and the setup shows they have good levels, so the tuner knows the frequencies, but playback causes a strange [as in not in the list of] error code for all above -1.