1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AM21 & USB to RS232 control

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by aa9vi, Jun 14, 2011.

1. aa9vi

aa9vi Godfather

Sep 3, 2007
    Is there any way to manually tune OTA stations or add them via USB and RS232 commands? DirectV does not allow me to tune to WCIU 26-5 but we get it on the TV tuner just fine.

2. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Not sure I follow aa9vi, do you have an AM21? Is 26-5 showing in the guide? What TV tuner are you using that works fine?

3. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    You cannot tune to a channel USB, AM21 or otherwise if it's not in the GUIDE .. simple as that.

4. aa9vi

aa9vi Godfather

Sep 3, 2007
    yeah, that's my problem. D* has refused to put a local OTA subchannel in the guide for 6 months now. I was looking for a way to force the AM-21 to tune it. Funny thing is they do allow me to tune 26-1 through 26-4 but not 26-5. (Dumb....)

I'm sure there is a way to do it, but no one wants to admit it because it opens a security hole.

That sucks.

5. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    If it's not in the guide there is NO way to tune it. There is no back door, there are no special tricks. No one is holding anything back. You are not the first one to request this and you won't be the last. It has to do with internal memory space limitations to store the required info for tuning the sub-chanels.

6. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    Well, if they are indeed limited, it would be nice if they would maybe re-prioritize what IS in the guide.

Take metro Atlanta, for example, they still have channel 11-2 in the guide even thou it is nothing but a "nightlight" broadcast for the last 6 months saying go to channel 36-2 instead for local weather. 36-2 is not tunable b/c it is not in the guide. Also, there are like 10 or more sub channels that are nothing more than radio streams from a low power TV station 32-xx, 32-yy, etc that are all clogging up the guide space.

DirecTV is really failing on this front. Yes it is a niche customer base that use OTA but they are mishandling it badly,.

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Perhaps you mean in System Tables.

If you would look into full list of all channels (see gct'd maps) you'll find a lot of channels what nobody can see (like test channels) and all of them taking memory space; so adding one or few more channels wouldn't overload those receivers/DVRs especially if you knew - local channels (OTA/sat) processing only by those who are resides in particular DMA.

I think it just small point for the huge corporation's stuff who is making changes in system tables, include EPG listings.