AM21

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by drkashner, Aug 14, 2020.

1. drkashner

drkashner Cool Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Hi, I think I know the answer, but is the AM21 no longer supported by Directv? i've had mine for a long time and now OTA channels in the Baltimore area are all changing frequencies and I'm not able to get anything through the AM21, so I guess its useless. Directv in not updating the local channel frequencies. I always thought it strange I just couldn't scan for my local stations like I can on my TV. Its still putting them in the guide, but I get no signals. Apparently they used some of the frequencies for different channels, because a couple come in, but they are not the channels that directv says they are. So I guess I'm out of luck, recording any ota stations on my dvr. Thanks

2. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    The AM21 has never been supported by Directv.

3. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Huh?? They used to sell it

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Whether they sold them or gave them away as compensation for a local channel dispute doesn't mean that they support them in a meaningful way. There was a time that all HR2x and up DVRs came with eSATA capability but it was expressly not "officially supported":

5. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Wow you don’t know about about Directv as pointed out to me prior. The AM21 was never given away for a dispute. It’s place was never equivalent to the LCC. The AM21 was a fully supported product while they made them

242424 and codespy like this.
  6. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I don't understand why someone who knows nothing about Directv likes to come here and post authoritatively wrong answers all the time. What's the point?

videojanitor likes this.
  7. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    What DVR model number do you have?

My AM21 is working fine on my HR44 Genie DVR.

8. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Never is a very long time. Maybe those who claimed they got a free AM21 in conjunction with a dispute weren't being truthful. Remember that the set of AM21 users that have had local channel disputes is a pretty small join with respect to those subscribers with compatible receivers/DVRs.

You may have seen the revised blog post where Stuart Sweet said that OTA tuners would be disabled in firmware by the Spring of 2019 so I'm not convinced that being an active DIRECTV subscriber or dealer makes one much more of an authority on all things DIRECTV.
    What do you mean? Weren't they both USB-connected two tuner OTA adapters?

The AM21 still works with the HR44 (and perhaps the HR54 as well). According to studechip (a longtime "until they pry it from my cold, dead hands" DIRECTV subscriber), the LCC at one time worked with his HR24 so it sounds like some device ID software restriction is probably in play.

If you were intending to avoid the connection between LCCs being given away during local channel disputes versus the AM21, I understand what you're saying but not really buying that it supports the general drift of DIRECTV's OTA USB tuner support.
    That's a discussion you'll want to have with studechip regarding post #2.

9. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    First he is the last person anyone here or anywhere would consider an authority for Directv Second that clearly never happened as everyone on here would have had there AM21 disables by now. To add further they have been updating the OTA database as detailed in the several LCC threads So to circle back since went way off the rails to the OP. Yes the AM21 was supported until it was discontinued but has been for sometime

10. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Okay, how about "never officially supported"? If you called and asked for help with one, you wouldn't get it.

11. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    When they made the product they supported it. I had one with my old HR21 and tech support supported it like any other product

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  12. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    FWIW, I am still using an AM21 on a HR24. It detects all the local channels in my viewing area just fine. I have had it so long that I cannot remember or comment on how well it was supported by DirecTV. I once tried to implement the LCC on my HR54, but was never able to get it to work successfully.

13. am3211

am3211 AllStar

Mar 23, 2008
    I have one AM21 on each of my three HR24's and a LCC on my HR44 and have had since they removed the OTT capability from the HR20's I received four of them free as a result of them removing OTT capability from my HR20's. They not be "officially" supported but up until a few years ago, I was able to get them replaced when they failed.

They function as well as they ever did and I receive all the local channels available to me in my area. I continue to use them since they allow me to move my external HDD to other boxes and let me access anything I have recorded via OTT.

14. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Given that the HR20 had built-in OTA tuners, I'm reasoning that you weren't using an AM21 with an HR20.

15. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Three-Letter Acronym (TLA) check:

OTT = Over The Top (streaming from a third-party content provider via your broadband Internet connection)
    OTA = Over The Air (television broadcast reception)

16. am3211

am3211 AllStar

Mar 23, 2008
    Harsh,

You are correct, of course. I apologize for my typos and any confusion they may have created.

17. drkashner

drkashner Cool Member

Nov 16, 2008
    I have an HR44. It worked fine until all the OTA stations in Baltimore started changing their frequencies. Directv is not updating the frequencies that the stations are broadcasting on, therefore it says it is not receiving a signal. If they would have had the AM21 scan for available stations, I could rescan like I did with my tv, but they are assigned the frequency when you pick a local area on the dvr.

18. codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    Scan was re-enabled on the HR44 and 54 earlier last year, just not on the other HR2x series DVR’s except the THR22-100 TiVo. You may want to check your OTA antenna connections and try to rescan.

Multi-path is one issue with the AM2x’s. I use an old Radio Shack antenna booster but have the FM Trap switch turned on to get the signals nicely, and assist with the multipath problem.

Regarding AM2x’s never supported from previous posts, DIRECTV and ATT had them available on the website for $49.99 for the longest time until they got sold out, well after they announced that they were moving away from OTA support. To say they weren’t originally supported is not accurate.

I received most of mine free for a couple reasons (moving from HR10-250’s to HR2x’s back in the late 2000’s, and protection plan replacements where I scored a lot of them at no charge). I still have one on every DVR I own, and spares for when they go bad every great once in a while.

They were definitely supported for a long period of time.

19. dod1450

dod1450 Legend

Dec 16, 2009
    I have both the AM-21 and LCC. I am using the LCC full time and having some multipath issues. It seems that, for me, it is more noticeable. The LCC had no problems with re-scanning during the FCC repack project.

20. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    The AM21 was absolutely fully supported. They have always supported any product they actually made in mass quantity and sold to people.

With that said it’s no longer sold and discontinued. Therefor it’s as supported today as any other discontinued item, which is not much.

What was not supported was them coming out and installing it on your system. That was I’m sure because they never wanted to be responsible for installing and making an antenna work correctly.

If it was never supported we wouldn’t have guide data for it and such.