Amazing Race 5 Talk-LEG 1 (7/6)

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Mark Holtz, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    On the series premiere of The Amazing Race 5:

[size=+2]Clearly, I'm More Intelligent Than You[/size]

On July 6th, 11 Teams of 2 people, each with a pre-existing relationship, will set out on THE AMAZING RACE around the world to compete for one million dollars. They'll never know where they're going next or what they'll have to do once there. Each pair's relationship will be forever changed by their experience in this once-in-a-lifetime adventure.

Don't miss the 90-minute broadcast premiere of THE AMAZING RACE at a special time, 9:30PM ET/PT, Tuesday July 6th.

Teams begin their race around the world; a medical emergency. The 11 teams begin their race around the world from Santa Monica and then fly to Uruguay. The last team to arrive at the first pit stop is eliminated.

Tivo Users: Instead of a season pass, set up a wishlist for Show Types/Game Show and "AMAZING RACE" and move it to the top of the priority list. This will allow you to get the Amazing Race 6 as well.

This episode repeats SATURDAY at 8 PM.

2. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    From Zap2It:

'Amazing Race' Returns with More Global Thrills

While previous editions of the Race got off to a fairly genial, even slightly goofy start, this fifth round feels strikingly different, as injuries and hard feelings surface almost right from the Southern California starting line.

"This is by far the most cutthroat season I have seen in terms of how people have played the game, because the teams have worked out where the equalizers are -- airports, say, where the teams tend to stack up -- so they know when they really need to push," says Phil Keoghan, returning for his fifth stint as host.

"This particular season really has an edge to it in terms of the teams we have chosen. They're edgy, engaging characters, contrasting teams that rub one another the wrong way from time to time. We don't look to create a 'perfect holiday' atmosphere, and the players that come into the game now are just much more charged-up and competitive from watching previous seasons."

Full Story Here

3. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    And tonight is premiere night. Have those DVRs set!

4. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    Definitely cutthroat, a little more whiney than past episodes but I guess people have really started studying the game just as they have in Survivor and this leads to different play.

I was alittle surprised at the number of people who wanted to make an alliance in the first 30 seconds of the game and also the people who thought it was a given that others would form alliances with them and help them.

5. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    My opinions of the teams:

Alison/Donny - dating - They like to bicker back and forth. They know how to fight with one another, but more importantly they still know how to live with each other.

Bob/Joyce - internet dating couple - Good grief how old is this guy? The website says 61 but he looks twice that age. They did better then I thought, but carrying that meat slab showed how much Bob strained. I think the strenuous nature of the race will start to get to them in a few episodes.

Brandon/Nicole - dating - With God's help and our faith, hopefully we don't hear a lot about them.

Charla/Mirna - cousins - There isn't a lot of brains between the two ladies. Obviously Charla is at a disadvantage physically. She really slowed down the team in running stages. However, as she pointed out in the race, she has an advantage as people want to help them due to her physical stature. And what's up with wanting to play blackjack in the middle of the race...hello sweetie...you got a race to win.

Colin/Christie - dating - She's hot. Keep an eye on them. Their strong independent nature will help them out.

Chip/Kim - married parents - I honestly don't see them lasting a long time. They aren't competitive enough. They seemed to want to race at times, but it was sorta a ho-hum we get there when we get there-I'm just glad to be here attitude.

Denis/Erika - once engaged - Damn I wish Erika would have stuck around longer.

Jim/Marsha - father daughter - That leg is going to come back to haunt him. Assuming he can overcome the pain and it doesn't get worse, they have a chance.

Kami/Karli - twins - Mmmmm twins. They seem brighter then Charla/Mirna, but not a whole lot after walking past the pole twice on the dock. Toss in the fiasco with not getting the route marker and they will have no problem being eliminated from the race...even without the other teams. This is unfortunate as they are one of the stronger physical teams I think.

Linda/Karen - best friends - The cutsie shirts are annoying. We don't care if you are bowling moms. Uruguay doesn't either. You look like dorks. As with Bob and Joyce, the strenuous nature will affect them. They aren't as young as they once were and size matters.

Marshal/Lance - brothers - The Mario Brothers are definitely the antagonists in this game. Other racers are going to remember them telling the driver to drive past and then waving to the people left standing. The sexist comment at the end shows how much they are the stereotypical male chauvinistic pig. As the only all-male team they might have had a strength advantage, but keep up the attitude and their fellow racers will stab them in the back.

6. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Arrival times at pit stop:
    1. Allison & Donnie
    2. Marshall & Lance
    3. Linda & Karen
    4. Bob & Joyce
    5. Charla & Mirna
    6. Brandon & Nicole
    7. Colin & Christie
    8. Chip & Kim (Original 1st)
    9. Kimi & Karlie (Original 2nd)
    10. Jim & Marsha
    11. Dennis & Erika

7. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Remember, they can raise funds along the way, and money can be carried over to the next leg. Maybe she wanted to increase the money they had to carry over to leg 2.