Amazing Race 5 Talk-LEG 2 (7/13)

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Mark Holtz, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Jul 7, 2004 #1 of 32
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    CRIME: In the capital city of Montevideo, petty street crimes, such as pickpocketing, purse-snatching, confrontational robberies, and thefts from unsecured automobiles, occur daily. Such crimes are usually non-violent, but the potential for violence exists if perpetrators are armed and victims resist. Potential thieves roam at all hours seeking “targets of opportunity” in the downtown areas of Montevideo such as Ciudad Vieja, Avenida 18 de Julio, Plaza Independencia, and the vicinity around the port. Visitors should avoid walking in those areas and use taxis when possible, especially at night. Victims are usually foreign tourists, individuals openly carrying valuable items, and motorists in unlocked vehicles stopped at busy intersections, particularly on Montevideo's riverfront road known as the Rambla. Drivers should keep all car doors locked, the driver's window open only one inch, and purses, bags, briefcases and other valuables out of sight on the floor or in the trunk. Parked cars, particularly in the Carrasco neighborhood, are also increasingly targeted for break-ins. During the summer months (December-March), beach resort areas such as Punta del Este attract tourists, and petty street crimes and residential burglaries--similar to those that occur in Montevideo--rise significantly. Visitors are advised to exercise common sense in the conduct of their activities around Montevideo and in Uruguayan resort areas. They should be very attentive to personal security and their surroundings in the aforementioned areas.

On the next episode of The Amazing Race:
    [size=+2]It Turned Ugly Just Now[/size]
    • The teams travel from Uruguay to Argentina.
    • One delayed Team gets angry, thinking another Team intentionally misled them with bad information.
    • Frustration and fighting erupt when a Team switches Detour tasks halfway through. Will they fall far behind the other Teams?
    • Tempers flare when an all-out sprint between two Teams leads to a standoff for a taxi.
    • A Team member's strategic mistake leads to tense talk, testing that Team's relationship.
    Tivo Users: Instead of a season pass, set up a wishlist for Show Types/Game Show and "AMAZING RACE" and move it to the top of the priority list. To catch only the current race, set Show Type to First Run Only.

2. Jul 8, 2004 #2 of 32
    Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    Those in the contest, I was considering having a different question for Detour 2 regarding transport. The question would be something like "What is the earliest time one can take a ferry from Uruguay to Argentina on Friday, July 9th, 2004.

However the website I needed was down yesterday so I had to pass on it. ;) For fun only, how long would it take you to discover the answer?

However if you want to follow along with the TV show, you might want to see how they will be passing over to the next country:

http://www.buquebus.com/argentina/home.htm

3. Jul 8, 2004 #3 of 32
    HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    After watching all the seasons of "Amazing Race", it being my favorite "reality show", as well as some of the other "reality shows", I've come to a conclusion that, of all the things I'm thankful for, the thing I am most thankful is that I am a gay male. How anyone could stand to be around these women for any length of time, much less a long-term relationship, is totally beyond my understanding. :D Granted, I realize television can't paint a totally accurate picture of things, but to see woman after woman after woman, in many different situations and circumstances, on many different shows with differing formats, etc., all being, essentially, the same nagging, squealing, back-stabbing, selfish, manipulating harpies... well, it isn't pretty.

You straight guys have my sympathy. :D :D

4. Jul 8, 2004 #4 of 32
    Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    So if you are watching the show, you might enjoy the contest. It certainly can make the show more interesting.

5. Jul 8, 2004 #5 of 32
    HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    So far I've not done any of the contests... I might check it out.

6. Jul 8, 2004 #6 of 32
    cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Reality TV is not an accurate portrayal of reality, dispite the name. Submisive females along with their dominate male significant others don't make for good TV. The general population would rather watch equals at the least or a dominating woman fight over the route instead. Do you really want to watch TV where the man drags his partner around the world and they have no say?

I know that if I did the race with my wife, I definitely would be the dominate one, but she would still have input. We were joking thought that we could never do it since she would be too annoying along the way. "Oh look honey, dolphins. Lets watch them for a few hours", "Boy this view is amazing...lets go shopping for a postcard to send to your parents"....you get the idea.

7. Jul 8, 2004 #7 of 32
    Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    I think if I did this race with my wife, we would be divorced by the end of it. ;)

I am super competitive. She is anti-competitive, and doesn't even keep score in games like Scrabble. At some point she would probably flop down and just quit rather than deal with my nagging to hurry it along.

Thus the reason why if I do ever get the chance to submit an application, I'll be taking my younger brother.

8. Jul 8, 2004 #8 of 32
    cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    OF corse if you did, you would guarantee yourself of not winning. Then for the rest of your life, you would never hear the end of it.

"You should have taken me. We would have won you know. I knew the exact place that you had to go and you two didn't blah blah blah." :D

But I would agree in principal with you...I'd take my best friend.

9. Jul 9, 2004 #9 of 32
    Tusk

Tusk Back in the Game DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 14, 2002
    Every season of Amazing Race, my wife says that we should try to get on the show. After the premier episode, she wanted me to find out how to enter for the next one. I doubt we will enter, but I think we would do well. Neither of us is overly aggressive, and I think one of the biggest problems that teams have on the show is that they are in such a hurry, that they don't read the clues fully or pay attention.

After the two teams missed the roadblock and went straight to the roulette table, she told me, "see, we that would of never happened to us the way you analyze things."

10. Tusk

Nov 14, 2002
    How bad at the race was the team that came in last on the premier? They were beaten by the couple who got on the later flight, the last ferry, and missed the roadblock, the twins who missed the roadblock, and the older man with 23 stitches in his leg. That is a little embarrassing.

11. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    "Here, you go ahead and take this cab ahead of us." :lol:

I think one of the biggest problems that teams have on the show is that they are in such a hurry, that they don't read the clues fully or pay attention.

Yup, just jumping on the earliest flight without even asking when the other would arrive was crazy. I was shouting at them to wake up!

Mirna is some nice comic relief: "Its a sign!" "Lets play a round of blackjack!"

12. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    I'm sure that will never be brought up in a conversation/argument later on in life.

13. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    I know "reality tv" is not very "realistic". But even the couples where the male is more dominate, the woman still has that shrill nagging voice and demeanor that simply grates on my nerves. I know if either my partner or I behaved in a similar manner to each other, we'd have long ago called it quits.

It's just an observation, though, not meant to be a scientific treatise on male-female relationships. :)

14. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    Well, I can't remember that trick having been used before Danny. Seems like every flight that was set up with limited availability on one plane, with the overflow on the other has been the first flight out is the first one there in the past. Now when it is a free for all to set up your own, there have been times where selection was better than merely leaving first. I'm sure the producers did it on purpose to throw off people who had been analyzing old races for strategy.

15. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    You still would think that people would ask. Apparently contestants don't watch the shows and know that the creators/producers like to throw in twists. Whenever "something has always happened this way", the contestants should anticipate and expect that to change.

Also, in a way I was disappointed that it seemed each major delay (e.g. plane schedule, ferry schedule, etc) always acted as an equalizer. There really was no advantage, at least so far in the season, to getting the earlier or later flight or ferry schedule. It usually came down to how soon you found the marker, or in the case of the few teams, didn't find it. I loved how the twins (mmmmm twins) walked past the markers multiple times. Must have been their blonde moments.

16. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    That's what bugged me about the last series of Amazing Race. If you had a fast forward, it really didn't benefit you in the next stage.

17. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    Is it just my perception, or do the teams in this installment seem a bit more "dense" than previous entrants? Or perhaps the producers are just including more of the "duh" moments in what we see. I have to remind myself that we only see what the producers want us to see, which is not necessarily in context with the real actions.

18. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    We're not familiar with the teams yet. It's only the first episode.

I rewatched the last Amazing Race when transferring it to tape last year, and saw it differently from the first viewing knowing how things went.

19. Tusk

Nov 14, 2002
    I though the "It is probably right under our nose" comment was classic. :lol:

20. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Episode tonight. I wonder if the pit stop rules have changed.