Amazing Race Contest: FINAL QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Danny R, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Feb 5, 2005 #1 of 60
    Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    This week's questions are now online!

Deadline to reply to the questions is 7:30 pm, Tuesday Feb. 8th prior to the airing of the show (Eastern time).

Click here when you are ready to begin. Your time will begin once you click the START button found on that page.

PLEASE NOTE: This is a timed question. Before pressing START, make certain you are prepared to spend a few minutes answering them. Time begins when you press START, and ends when you hit the SEND INFO button found on the next page.

Good Luck!!!

PRIZE THIS SEASON IS A 20 GB APPLE IPOD.

2. Feb 8, 2005 #2 of 60
    Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    12 and a half hours till deadline!

3. Feb 8, 2005 #3 of 60
    Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Danny, I just wanted to say once again THANKS! I may not always agree with your rulings, and sometimes I really don't like some of your questions, but once again I had a great time playing in your contest!

4. Feb 8, 2005 #4 of 60
    Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    and sometimes I really don't like some of your questions, but once again I had a great time playing in your contest!

Which questions don't you like?

5. Feb 8, 2005 #5 of 60
    cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    I want to echo what Mark said as well. I couldn't have said it better myself. I would have scored a few questions a little differently and I think I always expressed it when that was the case, but overall everything was fair and as the rules say, your judgment is final.

I can't speak for Mark, but I know I don't really like questions that had absolutely nothing to do with the contest. For instance the Battlestar Galactica. But I did like questions like Detour 1 on the final leg.

There is a lot of points up for grab even without the fastforwards. Good luck to everyone. And good luck to Kris and Jon. Godspeed and may for force be with them...

6. Feb 8, 2005 #6 of 60
    saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Can't say it enough. Here, here!

7. Feb 8, 2005 #7 of 60
    Ric

Ric Godfather DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 26, 2002
    :joy:Thanks Danny - this is the first time I have done the race and it was a great contest. Don't know how you do it -especially with the detour questions! :goodjob:

8. Feb 8, 2005 #8 of 60
    Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    For instance the Battlestar Galactica.

Hehe... figured. Unfortunately some weeks I just don't have the time to go researching the events associated with the actual contest so I put in whatever pops into my head. Sometimes I have absolutely no clue what the correct answer is, and hope you folks will find only one. *grin*

Of course the unrelated questions do help those who don't follow the spoiler sites. Obviously the only way I know where the game is heading is by browsing those, and others who do as well probably have a bit of a head start in finding the answers.

One hour till the contest ends.

9. Feb 8, 2005 #9 of 60
    cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Spoiler sites? What spoiler sites? *grin*

10. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Here's the preliminary data in excel format (see attached file). I've not had the chance to organize it yet. You should however be able to tell what each section is by the headers.

Top portion is the Start time and username.

Second portion is Leg 11 questions.

You can find the questions here: http://www.hform.com/form.cgi?10016845

Third portion is Leg 12

Questions are here: http://www.hform.com/form.cgi?10016951

In the case where a player submits more than one answer such as cdru did in Leg 12, the latest time is the one used for submission.

11. Ric

Ric Godfather DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 26, 2002
    Ahh yes, the spoiler sites. I vowed to never look at them since Chill one's Survivor spoilers. It got to the point the it was no fun to even watch anymore with everything I knew in advance.

12. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    I beleive there is a reporting inconsistancy for Q4 for both legs. Several of us have Rebecca/Adam selected, and I know for a fact that I only chose Rebecca. Maybe their is a problem with the javascript or whatever does the mailing?

Also, can you post Danny who voted for what in the pre-season poll.

13. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    You've gotta be kidding me.

Danny posts a pre-season poll and I pick one of the two teams of models, 'cause I figured hey, it's totally random for me, and besides, how could two identical teams both lose? So I go with Freddie and Kendra.

Then they do poorly one week, and they scare me, so I decide to bail on them in this game -- only I don't, and watch them come in 1st or something the following week. I ride on their coattails a little longer, and then they scare me again, and the number of teams is dwindling -- so I exercise my opt-out option.

Then I watch as they actually friggin' win?!? Holy cow.

I sure hope I get some good points for picking them, even though I bailed...

14. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Hah! Looks like I was the only one to go for Detour 2 on the 2nd leg. I thought that might be the case, as the question was ridiculous ("ridiculous" meaning almost impossible to figure out, so I got as many as I had patience for and hoped it was more than anyone else). And so indeed it was. Yay me :)

Ooh, and I got 1st, 2nd, and 3rd right! I may have a chance at this yet, despite cdru ;)

15. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Don't count your chickens before they hatch. ;)

And I don't think you using your bonus on leg 7 instead of a later leg would have effected the end result for the winner at least. I'm too lazy to play the numbers game and recalculate everything from week 7 onwards.

I think the winner is going to be determined by the yields (Thank you all you folks who were aiming for me...I feel your love) and Detour 1 on leg 12. A few of the D1 answers are leaving at 7:53p while the question said you were leaving at 8:00p. It all depends on if the earlier flight counts or not.

16. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Danny - the only questions that I really didn't like were the subjective "Which team makes a critical mistake" questions. And the only reason that I don't like them is because no matter how you judge the answer, there's going to be other opinions of what "should" be correct. I perfer questions that are "unquestionable". But, even with my opinion of those questions, I think that you've done a masterful job with these contests, and have had a heck of a lot of fun with them!

I don't know if the 7:53 flights will count or not, but I couldn't find a United or American flight that left right at 8, so went with 7:53 flight. If it costs me, oh well I guess. :shrug:

17. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    I sure hope I get some good points for picking them, even though I bailed...

Yes, you lose 3 additional days for picking the winner.

Several of us have Rebecca/Adam selected, and I know for a fact that I only chose Rebecca. Maybe their is a problem with the javascript or whatever does the mailing?

Yup, just double checked and I didn't delete the "/Adam" off of the value for the Rebecca response. So a Rebecca/Adam response for that question = Rebecca. If Adam was selected it would just say Adam.

A few of the D1 answers are leaving at 7:53p while the question said you were leaving at 8:00p.

Yes, I noticed that too. Those questions will definately be marked as incorrect. I specifically chose the 8pm time to miss some of the more direct flights, and force you to look for connections/etc.

who voted for what in the pre-season poll

All active players chose to opt out rather than risk going all the way. cdru and Mark Lamutt were the last two to do so.

18. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    When are the final results expected to be posted?

19. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Probably early next week sometime. I'm going to be working on it this weekend.

20. compubit

compubit AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 8, 2004
    Although I was pretty much out of it (and unable to do the final week's questions), I really enjoyed the trip (actually both this one and the one on TV!). I'm looking forward to #7 - and now that I have an idea of how it works...

Jim