Amazing Race Contest: LEG 1 QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Danny R, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    This week's questions are now online!

Deadline to reply to the questions is midnight prior to the airing of the show (Eastern time).

Click here when you are ready to begin. Your time will begin once you click the START button found on that page.

PLEASE NOTE: This is a timed question. Before pressing START, make certain you are prepared to spend a few minutes answering them. Time begins when you press START, and ends when you hit the SEND INFO button found on the next page.

Good Luck!!!

PRIZE THIS SEASON IS A 20 GB APPLE IPOD.

THIS WEEKS RESULTS

2. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Good ones.

3. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Will we be doing time penalties for getting entries in later in the week (Saturday/Sunday/Monday) similar to last season?

4. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    No. From what I saw last season, there were no significant spoilers released, which is the primary reason I wanted entries in early.

5. mwgiii

mwgiii Gaming Guru and Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    So when does the show start?

6. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Tuesday, November 16th at 9 PM ET/PT.

7. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
  8. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Question 1 (REQUIRED) : Which team finishes first in leg 1?Answer correctly and no time will be added. Incorrect or no answer, add 1 day.

Jonathan & Victoria (42M/31F) Married Professionals
    Lori & Bolo (32F/38M) Wrestlers
    Rebecca & Adam (29F/27M) "Weird" Ex-Dating Couple
    Kris & Jon (30F/29M) Long Distance Daters
    Freddy & Kendra (35M/25F) Engaged Models
    Lena & Kristy (23F/26F) Sisters
    Aaron & Hayden (25M/25F) Dating Models
    Hera & Gustavus (23F/49M) Father/Daughter
    Maria & Meredith (26F/26F) Best Friends
    Donald & Mary Jean (69M/65F) Married
    Avi & Joe (32M/32M) High School Buddies

------------------------

Question 2 (REQUIRED) : Which team comes in last place this week?Select one of the answers below. No time is added for correct answers, and one day will be added for incorrect.

-------------------------

Question 3 : Which teams are the first five to reach this leg's pitstop?
    Check as many or as few as you like. You lose a day for each correct team you have checked. You gain a day for each
    incorrect team you have checked.

-------------------------

Question 4 YIELD (REQUIRED) : How much money is given to the contestants at the start of this leg of the race? Closest answer wins the YIELD and may add a day to another contestants time and loses a day from their own time. If no money is shown, the answer
    is considered to be ZERO. If money is shown but no amount is disclosed, the person with the highest guess wins the prize.

$

Since its unknown who will be playing at this point in the contest, the winner may specify one of two options: They may choose to yield the current leader, or not use the yield

I wish to yield the leader.
    I chose not to yield anyone

---------------------------

DETOURS:
    For the next two questions (two detours), choose between them and pick only ONE to answer. If you choose not to play the DETOURS, select that option now:

I'm too lazy to play the detours!

Make certain you clear the text out of the detour fields below.
    (if you hit the button and change your mind, click the reset button at the bottom of the form to clear your answers)

------------------------

If you get the answers correct, your time will be determined by how quickly compared to other contestants you are able to mail the answers in. A wrong answer will be scored as worse than any correct answers with better time. ANSWER ONLY ONE!

---------------------

Detour 1: Our teams start this season in Chicago, near this fountain.

Who is this fountain built in honor of, and what occupation is that person best known for?

-----------------------

Detour 2: Leaving Chicago, our teams travel to Iceland, where they discover, surprise surprise, ice. The largest glacier in Europe is located here. Who are the first confirmed explorers to cross the glacier from the south and back and when did they do this?

9. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    ???

Danny,

You have the correct answer for Detour 2 being
    James Watts Paul Paulisson 1875

According to the site your picture is from,
    http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:...l+first+cross+Vatnajökull+watts&hl=en&start=1

1875 William Lord Watts, Pál Pálson
    & four other Icelandic people
    two sledges;
    South (Siðujökull) > North (Kistufell);
    (in 12 days - August 1875)
    two previous attempts (1871 & 1874)
    1874 W. L. Watts & Pál Pálson
    discovered
    the "Mount Paul" (Pálsfjall).

This has them going from south to north, but not back again, as per the question. Why, then, is it considered correct?

That's why I went with the one I did:
    1935 Leutelt, Pollitzer and Schmid;
    from south to Grímsvötn and back

10. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    I originally found my reference on an Iceland webpage which uses the exact phrasing I chose for the question:

http://www.nat.is/travelguideeng/glacier_vatnajokull.htm

Doing some research, Watts did only cross it once. However when I think it over, its quite possible this website was indicating the LOCATION of where he started his crossing and not that he actually traversed it twice. The "back" section of the glacier could easily mean the interior western portion.

In any case, I'll give you credit for you answer, but also will give credit for the 1875 as well.

11. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    1935 is not correct. 1875 is correct. You can read the "diary" from Watt's trip here. This map show his path across the island. He started in Reykjavík, went east, then north, then some more east, then south, then west. You you also look at the table of contents, you would also see that he titles sections "Departure from Reykjavík" and "Return to Rykjavík".

Obviously he made a round trip, and it's not in question whether he was the first explorer to make the trip south to north, so I'd say it would be reasonable to say he was the first explorer to make the trip south to north...and back again.

12. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    The diary (interesting reading) indicates he only crossed the glacier once however, and saulres has a valid point that the question would seem to be asking for those who crossed it twice.

In any case, I'm giving credit to both answers, as its obvious you found the sources I was aiming for, and there are several valid interpretations of the question. Also this is the first week of the competition, and I'm always more generous at the start. There will come a time when I'll be looking for very specific answers. Hopefully however I'll word the questions better then. *grin*

Geez, a fine start. ;)

13. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Sorry, Danny :( I'll try not to make this a regular thing.

14. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    No need to appologize.

Remember that my research each week is generally along the lines of an hour or two trying to find interesting questions.

I'm sure we'll have questions needing clarification in the future. Unlike the survivor contest, one can't look over the questions and and ask for clarification before answering, thus some leeway is necessary on my part if you have a good explaination why an alternative response is also valid. Personally, I think saulres' answer does represent the "best" response and the obvious interpretation of the question asks who crossed it twice.

But since its vague, I'm giving credit for both answers.

15. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    I didn't understand the dual interpertation of the question until after your response to my above response. I can see both ways. Its hard to make up questions that are unambiguous to everyone, hard enough to make people look around, yet still answerable.

16. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Spreadsheet above has been modified.

Also you can see an html version here via the link at the top of the page.

17. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    bgilmore,

Damn! All 5 top finishers correct? You using spoilers somewhere, or are you just amazingly psychic?

BTW, Danny, great idea adding an HTML format!

18. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Danny - think you could put borders in your html table? That'd make it easier to read. :)

19. mwgiii

mwgiii Gaming Guru and Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    I really suck at this contest.:D

20. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Danny - think you could put borders in your html table? That'd make it easier to read.

I added them to the spreadsheet, but they aren't appearing when I "save as a web page" in Excel. Any ideas on how to add them?