Amazing Race Contest: LEG 1 QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Danny R, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This week's questions are now online!

Deadline to reply to the questions is midnight (Eastern time) prior to the airing of the show (March 1st)

If you have not already read the rules, please do so now.

Click here when you are ready to begin. Your time will begin once you click the START button found on that page.

PLEASE NOTE: This is a timed question. Before pressing START, make certain you are prepared to spend a few minutes answering them. Time begins when you press START, and ends when you hit the SUBMIT button found on the page after.

Good Luck!!!

GRAND PRIZE THIS SEASON IS A $200 GIFT CERTIFICATE TO DISH DEPOT
    2nd Place prize is a $50 Gift Certificate to an online retailer of your choice.

2. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    13th hour warning!

This leg's poll closes in approximately 13 hours. Get your answers in before midnight tonight!

Remember to participate in the pre-contest poll as well.

3. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Any ideas on turnout so far yet Danny? Good, bad, or indifferent?

From the looks of the cast, I think this has the potential to be a good season. There isn't anyone who jumps out as being a immediate winner or loser. I'm just glad that we don't have half the show full of aspiring actors/actresses/models. Robber will be bad enough. I have a feeling that while their stint on Survivor might be brought up once or twice. Idea: Take a shot of your favorite beverage everytime the word "Survivor" is mentioned, commercials excluded. See how coherent you are by the first break.

4. bgilmore

bgilmore Cool Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Did my entry go through? It did not give me a page saying thank you. It just took me to the page where we vote who we though would win.
    Billy

5. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Yup, I got it. You should also get a confirmation email that confirms the answers submitted.

Turnout is the same as usual thus far. If any of you folks are members of other boards, feel free to advertise the game.

6. Mar 1, 2005 #6 of 26
    Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    QUESTION 1: Which team comes in first for this leg of the race?
    No time added for a correct response. One day added for incorrect.
    Brian/Greg - brothers
    Debbie/Bianca - lifelong friends
    Lynn/Alex - boyfriends
    Megan/Heidi - roomates
    Meredith/Gretchen - grandparents
    Ray/Deana - dating on and off
    Rob/Amber - engaged
    Ron/Kelly - dating
    Ryan/Chuck - best friends
    Susan/Patrick - mother/son
    Uchenna/Joyce - married

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUESTION 2: Which team comes in last place for this leg of the race?
    No time added for a correct response. One day added for incorrect.
    Brian/Greg - brothers
    Lynn/Alex - boyfriends
    Megan/Heidi - roomates
    Meredith/Gretchen - grandparents
    Ray/Deana - dating on and off
    Rob/Amber - engaged
    Ron/Kelly - dating
    Uchenna/Joyce - married

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUESTION 3: Which teams start off poorly, and come in 6th-10th place for this leg of the race?
    One day added for each team you incorrectly or fail to correctly select.
    Brian/Greg - brothers
    Lynn/Alex - boyfriends
    9th - Megan/Heidi - roomates
    6th - Meredith/Gretchen - grandparents
    7th - Ray/Deana - dating on and off
    Rob/Amber - engaged
    10th - Ron/Kelly - dating
    8th - Uchenna/Joyce - married

QUESTION 4: How many group points are there for this leg of the race?
    A group point is defined as any location where ALL the teams catch up before another team is able to leave. Start/Pit stops do not count. All but the closest answer will gain time equal to the actual number of group points we see.

There was 1 group point, at the beach.

LAX airport does NOT count because all the teams were not in the same location there, but in different terminals.

QUESTION 5: How much money is given to the contestants at the start of this leg?
    Closest answer wins a Yield, and subtracts a day from their time. They also win the chance to yield another player.

$132
    DETOURS:
    Pick one of the following detours to answer. You may choose to not answer a detour if you wish and simple leave both blank. You will be graded against others who likewise choose that option. If you answer more than one, you will be graded only on the one that the majority of other players also pick, resulting in a possibly worse score.

DETOUR 1: Lets get to know our racers. Ron Young, of the Ron/Kelly team, was an Apache pilot who was shot down in Iraq. How many days was he held captive?

Ron was shot down March 23rd and recovered April 13th. If you started counting from that point, you get 21 days. He was actually captured on the 24th however, which would give you 20 days.

A few people stated 22 days, but the only way I can imagine that being right is if you start messing with time zones. And I should probably disqualify that since CBS news seems to be the only source for that info and it seems obvious they can't add. ;) But I'll go ahead and give credit.

DETOUR 2: The racers begin this leg from Long Beach, California, and presumably travel to Lima, Peru. What route (airlines only - include airlines/flight #s) gets them to Lima the fastest, assuming they can not leave LAX airport until AFTER noon local time, March 1st 2005? You'll be judged on this question first by finding the quickest arrival time.

LAN (5)601 is the fastest flight, leaving just after noon and arriving just prior to midnight.

Two fewer people took this route, so those who answered this question got a -2 bonus.

THIS WEEKS RESULTS

7. Mar 1, 2005 #7 of 26
    Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    So...does this mean I'm doing okay?

8. Mar 1, 2005 #8 of 26
    Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Cap, not a bad start... but you won't know for certain until the final results are in tonight. One thing I see right off the bat is you'll get a big penalty for Q3 by only giving 1 team versus 5.

finniganps, I knew my playing the detours would not be fair, but cdru pointed out that I do also have an advantage just by knowing which standard questions would be asked (although anyone who's played the game in the past can probably have a good idea in any case). Thus you will be graded tonight as if you were 1st place for taking the no detour option as well.

9. Mar 1, 2005 #9 of 26
    cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Remember folks, read the questions. I know it's come back to bite me when I quickly read it and didn't think about it. Usually it's when Danny changes how something is scored slightly from in the past.

The maximum penalty for this question is +10 days. So in your case Cap, if Megan/Heidi don't come in 6-10, you gain 1 day for having them incorrect, plus another 5 days because you didn't have any correct answers for a 6 day penalty. Even if they come in 6-10th, you will still get a 4 day penalty for not having any more checked. You minimized your worst-case score possibility by sacrificing your best-case score. Interesting strategy if that is what you meant to do.

Edited: Had the wrong team for Cap's choice.

10. bgilmore

bgilmore Cool Member

Feb 12, 2003
    <Yup, I got it. You should also get a confirmation email that confirms the answers submitted.>

I never get any emails about my votes.
    Billy

11. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    I know it will sound dumb, but are you sure you are entering in the e-mail address correctly on the form? E-Mail is sent to that address, not any address you might have setup for DSLReports.

Also, do you our your ISP have any type of spam filters? It's possible it might detect it as possible spam and drop it. With the exception of when Verizon was having some e-mail server problems, I've always received my confirmation start and stop e-mails within a few moments to the address that I entered on the form.

12. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    FYI: To address some more concerns of cdru... I'm going to be playing along this game to see how I'd do, but for all game purposes any actions I take will NOT impact the game. For all intents and purposes, I won't be there.

My moves won't be used for any response bonus, nor will any yields I win keep others from winning the same, etc. If I'm the leader (doubtful), any yields on the leader will still impact the next player (as well as me).

Remember folks, read the questions. I know it's come back to bite me when I quickly read it and didn't think about it. Usually it's when Danny changes how something is scored slightly from in the past.

Yup, this is a MUST! Most of the questions will be very similar to what you've seen in the past, but I do try to mix it up by changing the grading slightly. Some multiple choice questions only penalize for incorrect answers. Others penalize for failing to have the right answers as well, depending on how masochistic I feel from week to week. ;-) Actually the usual impetus for the harsher penalty model is to simply avoiding someone giving no answer at all.

13. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    I read it too fast. I thought it was TEAM, not TEAMS, and which one wouldn't start well and then come in either 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10. :(

GAH!

14. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    I'm going to lose this so badly, you'll be calling me Adam and demanding to see my hair horns. :(

15. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    hehe... Regarding Detour 1. Ron in the introduction says he was held 23 days. Even he doesn't know how long it was. ;)

16. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    The season looks to be a good one. There must be close to a 100 IQ points between all the teams. A few of the teams I think have negative IQ points.

17. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Results are now posted above.

cdru starts strong again.

18. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Hey...I start pretty strong again too! :D

Cdru, you're going down this time, buddy! :)

19. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    I would have said that there were three bunch points, one at LAX, one at the beach, and one at the airport the morning after the beach, but apparently you counted the different waiting areas for the flights seperate locations.

Did the two people that voted for Ryan/Chuck in the pre-season poll not participate this week?

20. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Did the two people that voted for Ryan/Chuck in the pre-season poll not participate this week?

Oops, I actually don't know yet. I still need to get the results from Mark, and didn't have time to ask for them yet. ;) Thanks for the reminder.

Mark, can you PM them to me?

and one at the airport the morning after the beach

I looked at this one, and with the editing its impossible to say if all the teams were there together or not at this location at the same time. No video was shown of them all there together. As with most questions for the race, if its not shown on video, it usually won't count.