Amazing Race Contest: LEG 10 QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Danny R, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    Question 1 : Which team finishes first in leg 10?Answer correctly and no time will be added. Incorrect or no answer, add 1 day.

Rebecca & Adam (29F/27M) "Weird" Ex-Dating Couple
    Kris & Jon (30F/29M) Long Distance Daters
    Freddy & Kendra (35M/25F) Engaged Models
    Aaron & Hayden (25M/25F) Dating Models

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question 2 : Which team comes in last place this week?
    Select one of the answers below. No time is added for correct answers, and one day will be added for incorrect.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question 3 : Which team, if any, takes the road less traveled and chooses a detour that the other teams do not take?
    Correct answer loses a day, incorrect gains one or two days.
    The teams split the detours equally 2:2
    All teams take the same detour (2 days added if incorrect)

Question 4 YIELD : How much money to the contestants receive for this leg?.
    Closest answer wins the Yield. If money is shown, but the amount not revealed, the highest answer is given credit. If no money is seen, the lowest
    answer gets credit.
    $141

Question 5 : The title of this week's episode is You Deal With This Before I Hyperventilate. Which contestant speaks this during the show?
    Select one of the answers below. One day is lost for correct answers, and one day will be added for incorrect.

Rebecca
    Adam (29F/27M) "Weird" Ex-Dating Couple

Kris
    Jon (30F/29M) Long Distance Daters

Freddy
    Kendra (35M/25F) Engaged Models

Aaron
    Hayden (25M/25F) Dating Models

The line isn't spoken by a contestant

Detour 1: The next pit stop is in China.

Who is the credited Producer of this specific game?[​IMG]

The game of course is Shanghai, one of the first Mahjongg games developed for the computer and widely ported elsewhere. The writer is shown on the front page. Brad Fregger is the credited Producer.

Detour 2: This week our contestants go to the top of some high buildings and repel down. What is the admission price to the highest observation deck in a building in China and how high is this?

The tower is the Jin Mao Tower, with an observation deck on the 88th floor. 340.1 metres high, Admission is 50 rmb

Fast Forward: Rebecca mentions wanting to go to Shanghai ever since seeing Madonna and Sean Penn in Shanghai Surprise. Name the films that have been nominated in the Best Foreign Film category from China throughout the history of the Oscars.

Two people attempted the FF, both had the same correct answers. Ric wins based on a faster time.

Ju Dou 1990
    Hero 2002

Films from Hong Kong (Farewell my Concubine) and Taiwan (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) have also made the list.

Results from Week 9, Q5 (who benefits from the next non-elimination leg) were also calculated as being a question for Leg 10.

PRIZE THIS SEASON IS A 20 GB APPLE IPOD.

THIS WEEKS RESULTS

CUMULATIVE RESULTS

2. CoriBright

CoriBright Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

May 30, 2002
    Detour #1 image didn't show up for me.... so I did Detour #2. (hey, if you can't complain when you're in last place, when can you!!)

3. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Its showing up now. Probably you were unlucky enough to start during a time when connection to the bellsouth servers was slow.

Doing a refresh often reloads the pictures successfully.

4. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    The problem with doing a refresh though is that is clears out all of your previous answers, so you have to start over at the top of the page answering everything again.

5. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Well, do a quick view of the page to make certain a picture is loaded (its very obvious) before you start filling out the form. ;)

6. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    That's what I usually do. :)

7. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    13 hours till deadline.

FYI: Next week is the season finale... a 2 hour episode. As such, the questions will be much more involved and take a bit longer than usual (although not quite as grueling as last game). Like last time, the questions will be divided into 2 separate legs, each with its own start/stop time and treated as if they were separate weeks.

8. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Just for time planning purposes, will they be required to be answered back to back, like they were last season when after submitting leg 11's answers, it took you to leg 12's? Or will they be posted as two separate legs and can be answered seperately from one another?

Also, the confirmation page says that you are still looking for people to join up to get the free IPod. I don't remember seeing that page after I usually submit my answers but then again, I may have and just ignored it. Either way, I thought you already had it.

9. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Just for time planning purposes, will they be required to be answered back to back, like they were last season when after submitting leg 11's answers, it took you to leg 12's?

Yes, just like last time it will be a back to back run from a single start.

Also, the confirmation page says that you are still looking for people to join up to get the free IPod. I don't remember seeing that page after I usually submit my answers but then again, I may have and just ignored it. Either way, I thought you already had it.

I've only posted this on the entry confirmation page once before, I believe on the 1st or 2nd week of the contest, so no, you didn't miss it.

I already have a 20 GB Ipod, which if necessary will serve as the prize and I'll buy myself an upgraded model (I find the 20gb a bit limiting for my music collection). This ipod is used of course, but is still 4th generation and in good shape.

I was hoping however that I'd have another free ipod to give away by the time the contest ended. Thus the winner would have a mint condition ipod with narry a fingerprint on its shiny silver surface. Thus I'm offering the $10 incentive for those who join up.

10. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Preliminary results are up.

11. mwgiii

mwgiii Gaming Guru and Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    Well at least I am only losing to 2 non-players this week.:lol:

12. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    You realize how tempting this makes it to yield you? To see how far you can drop? :D

13. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Perhaps you should not play the remaining two legs to improve your position.

Just be sure to get the FF next week and all will be well.

14. mwgiii

mwgiii Gaming Guru and Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    I tried that last week and fell further.:D

I am just waiting to make an amazing comeback and win the I-pod.

Just all part of my strategy so no one sees it comming.:lol:

15. Ric

Ric Godfather DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 26, 2002
    Woo hoo for the fast forward!! but don't worry - based on past experience, I will have another free fall next week

16. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Danny, just out of couriosity, why did you make the possible penality for selecting None for Q3 +2? Not that it matters, just wondering.

17. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Just to make you folks think twice about selecting it.

I didn't know for certain the answer would be None, but at this point in the game its a logical choice and the previews only showed two events, one of which was obviously the roadblock.

18. compubit

compubit AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 8, 2004
    Even though I don't have a snowball's chance...

It's been fun so far - still trying to figure out how I fell from 3rd place at one point to 20+ days behind...

Jim

19. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    I'd say your big "mistakes" were in weeks 6-8. You gained a lot of time those weeks, as did many others. However, you answered slower then the next person up, so you never were able to catch up to the next closest person. Many others were, helping to reduce the overall weekly gain. For instance, if you were to answer faster then bgilmore this week, you would be 12 days closer.

20. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Final results are in for this leg.

cdru had an awesome week, finally using his precontest Poll option and thus moves his score into negative territory. As a result, Ric tagged along due to his fast forward, and likewise is in good position for the final two legs.

finniganps moves into 3rd place, benefiting from the Leg 9 question about who was next to not be eliminated.

Two remaining legs for the final episode, a final fast forward during one of them, and a large field of available points, still put this game in anyone's hands. Final questions will appear tonight.