Amazing Race Contest: LEG 11/12 QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Danny R, May 5, 2005.

1. May 5, 2005 #1 of 73
    Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This week's questions are now online!

Deadline to reply to the questions is noon (Eastern time) prior to the airing of the show (May 10th)

If you have not already read the rules, please do so now.

Click here when you are ready to begin. Your time will begin once you click the START button found on that page.

PLEASE NOTE: This is a timed question. Before pressing START, make certain you are prepared to spend about 30 minutes answering them.

THIS IS A TWO PART QUESTION, one set for each hour of the show. Time begins for the first part when you press START, and ends when you hit the FINISH button found on the page after. Your time for the second part then beings immediately.

Good Luck!!!

GRAND PRIZE THIS SEASON IS A $200 GIFT CERTIFICATE TO DISH DEPOT
    2nd Place prize is a $50 Gift Certificate to an online retailer of your choice.

PRELIMINARY FINAL DATA:
    THIS WEEKS RESULTS

CUMULATIVE RESULTS

2. May 9, 2005 #2 of 73
    Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Just about 24 hours to go folks.

FYI: The option to opt out for the preliminary poll isn't available in the second half of the questions because teams for the final stretch aren't eliminated, they just lose.

Thus if you don't state your team will be eliminated in Leg 11, you are gambling that your team will win (-20 if you are right, +10 if you are wrong).

So if you don't think your original guess will win, you should opt out in Leg 11. PM me before the deadline tommorrow if you need to change something.

3. May 9, 2005 #3 of 73
    saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Even though I'm not playing this time around (or perhaps especially because I'm not playing this time around), I'd like to wish everyone luck in making sure cdru doesn't threepeat. :p

4. May 9, 2005 #4 of 73
    cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    I take back what I said in my PM to you Saulres. I no longer wish you were here to bump off some of the top players since I know I can beat you. I wich you were here so I could bump you off.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow (excluding Romber of course). May the best person here (I would say me...if I were doing better) and on the show (U/J) win.

5. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Well, for better or worse, now that I'm done with the questions, I'd like to wish everyone good luck this final week. I've had a lot of fun this time around, even if I don't win.

And, thanks once again to Danny for doing this. It's been a great ride, even if I have disagreed with you at times... :)

6. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    Yeah, good luck to you all. I thought of a way to cheat at this game, but didn't do it, and have kept it a secret. Did others think of a way, or am I the only one with a Rob-like mind (but better ethics)? :)

7. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Oh yeah, I've come up with several ways to cheat, but what fun would that be? The competition is what I enjoy most out of the contest!

8. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Yeah, unfortunately there are several ways to cheat. Let me know if you discovered one not mentioned below. If this were a much larger group of players, I would probably worry about it more.

The easiest way to cheat is to have two players in the contest working together so that one wins, or combinations of this theme by using a dummy player to grab questions for the other one. That is something I have no control over. I do see what IP folks use to connect to the questions, so I'm able to check somewhat if folks are grabbing the questions from the same location.

Also if one took the time, you could probably discover the question webpages without going through the Start page. That would be a pretty tedious thing to do as I create new locations each week, but certainly possible. But again I can see who views the pages, so hopefully can detect cheaters that way, as there is no reason for anyone to visit the game page unless directed from the start.

9. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Yeah, those are the 2 ways that I was thinking about.

10. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    :p again

Sigh. I've missed the fun banter.

11. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Yeah, those are the 2 ways that I was thinking about

Says the guy who has a secret 3rd way...

And of course one should never forget the power of a good bribe to the game administrator ;)

Seriously though, even if someone did cheat and knew the questions, that would only get them halfway. You would still need to do extremely well on the standard weekly questions. Also they would only be able to grab the 1st place position on one of the detours, so someone would likely be keeping pace.

12. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Are you kidding? If I had a secret 3rd way, I would have put this thing away long ago! :lol:

13. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    Yeah, the dummy player was the way I was thinking. Didn't think of the other.

I didn't cheat (as one can tell by my slow answering times!) but I do have ONE confession to make...

I don't know what I'd do if won! I don't see anything I'd want at Dish Depot! :D

Sad, but true.

14. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    (hint Cap - donate the prize back to the board so we can give it away! :D)

15. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Sure that is what you want us to think. Nobody suspects you since you are just keeping pace with the rest of us. But if somehow you manage to pull ahead in the final legs, things could get suspicious...

16. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Danny, setting up my spreadsheet I noticed that Q18 for both legs has a different scoring formula then what the other yields have. The other yields all result in losing 2 days if you win the yield, but Q18 has you only losing 1. Was this meant to be this way, or was it a "typo" from copy/pasting a previous question? Either way, does it stand as worded?

Does the double detour points for the final leg include the bonus points for the lesser chosen route, or does the -1,1,2,3,4 values just double to -2,2,4,6,8?

Also, what method (source) are you using for your distance measurements for the bonus? And does the days lost/gained get rounded up/down to the nearest whole day?

17. Tusk

Tusk Back in the Game DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 14, 2002
    Sounds like its time to form an alliance :up_to_som :lol:

18. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    If I win, consider it done!

:)

If no one else close picked Ron and Kelly to win..and they do... I might have a real chance. That's who I said WAY BACK WHEN would win.

Want to know the silly reason why? I figured an army guy has got to know how to get around well AND keep his head in tense situations. I didn't realize that Kelly would be whining at him so much. ;)

Whom would I LIKE to see win for THEM? Uchenna (sp?) and Joyce. They're fantastic people, and I want them to win a lot of money and then go adopt a few kids. :)

Rob and Amber have money, have fame, have each other, and while I like how they're always nice to each other and sweet with each other, they had their win on Survivor. I'd like to see U&J walk away with it.

19. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    OK, I'm not officially rooting for CAP to win! Go CAP! :lol:

er...

um...

MAKE THAT NOW, NOT NOT!

20. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    Oh, so you're NOT, huh? Well, why-you-I-oughtta...

;)