Amazing Race Contest: LEG 2 QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Danny R, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Mar 2, 2005 #1 of 26
    Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This week's questions are now online!

Deadline to reply to the questions is midnight (Eastern time) prior to the airing of the show (March 8th)

If you have not already read the rules, please do so now.

Click here when you are ready to begin. Your time will begin once you click the START button found on that page.

PLEASE NOTE: This is a timed question. Before pressing START, make certain you are prepared to spend a few minutes answering them. Time begins when you press START, and ends when you hit the SUBMIT button found on the page after.

Good Luck!!!

GRAND PRIZE THIS SEASON IS A $200 GIFT CERTIFICATE TO DISH DEPOT
    2nd Place prize is a $50 Gift Certificate to an online retailer of your choice.

2. Mar 7, 2005 #2 of 26
    Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    QUESTION 1: Which team comes in first for this leg of the race?No time added for a correct response. One day added for incorrect.
    Brian/Greg - brothers
    Debbie/Bianca - lifelong friends
    Lynn/Alex - boyfriends
    Megan/Heidi - roomates
    Meredith/Gretchen - grandparents
    Ray/Deana - dating on and off
    Rob/Amber - engaged
    Ron/Kelly - dating
    Susan/Patrick - mother/son
    Uchenna/Joyce - married

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    QUESTION 2: Which team comes in last place for this leg of the race?No time added for a correct response. One day added for incorrect.
    Brian/Greg - brothers
    Debbie/Bianca - lifelong friends
    Lynn/Alex - boyfriends
    Megan/Heidi - roomates
    Meredith/Gretchen - grandparents
    Rob/Amber - engaged
    Ron/Kelly - dating
    Susan/Patrick - mother/son
    Uchenna/Joyce - married

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    QUESTION 3: Which teams continue to do poorly, and come in 6th-9th place for this leg of the race?One day added for each team you incorrectly or fail to correctly select.
    9th - Brian/Greg - brothers
    6th - Debbie/Bianca - lifelong friends
    Lynn/Alex - boyfriends
    Megan/Heidi - roomates
    7th - Meredith/Gretchen - grandparents
    Rob/Amber - engaged
    Ron/Kelly - dating
    8th - Susan/Patrick - mother/son
    Uchenna/Joyce - married

QUESTION 4: How many Amazing Race clues will we see during this leg of the race for each team?The team with the most clues is what is correct, in case one team for some reason misses one. I'm not counting the total number of clues seen throughout the show, but just the number a single team would get. All but the closest answer will gain time equal to the actual number of clues we see.

There were 5 clues. Initial clue, Roadblock Clue, Roadblock Success Clue, Virgin Mary Clue (Detour), Detour Success Clue.

QUESTION 5: How many times is the world "Survivor" spoken during this upcoming episode?Closest answer wins a Yield, and subtracts a day from their time, and probably gets quite plastered if they are taking a drink for every guess. They also win the chance to yield another player.

Amazingly enough there were only 2 mentions of Survivor, both in the first part of the show where Phil described previous events.

QUESTION 6: What is the gender of the local greeter standing with Phil at the Pit stop?
    Get the question right and lose a day. Wrong and gain a day.
    Male
    Female

DETOURS:
    Pick one of the following detours to answer. You may choose to not answer a detour if you wish and simple leave both blank. You will be graded against others who likewise choose that option. If you answer more than one, you will be graded only on the one that the majority of other players also pick, resulting in a possibly worse score.

DETOUR 1: This week the teams travel to Chili. While I've never been overseas, I do live next to a Chili's franchise. How many Chili's locations are there in the continental United States?

Nobody found the same answer I believed to be correct. Using Chili's website, I counted 942 continental locations. I gave full credit though to anything in the ballpark though, as I imagine some websites just rounded the answer off.

Mwgiii, your answer I believe included non-continental locations, but was close enough to still get credit for being right. Mattoshag, if you can tell me where you found your answer I'll possibly give you credit if its a good source (which would earn you the -4 bonus for going the less travelled detour)

DETOUR 2: Before they leave Peru, hopefully our teams will pass through some of the ruins of the Incas. What is the name of this particular ruin?

[​IMG]

The name of this ruin is Runkuraqay or the Egg Hut. While near Machu Pichu, its not the same site.

THIS WEEKS RESULTS

CUMULATIVE RESULTS

3. Mar 8, 2005 #3 of 26
    Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Preliminary results (pre-show) are now up. To the best of my knowlege, no massive spoilers were released for this week as we saw last week.

Three new players this week, although some also dropped. New players started with a base score of 19 days.

4. Mar 8, 2005 #4 of 26
    cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    He found the answer in Chili's parent company's annual report. However, he misread the information and gave the number of locations the parent company owned, including several other chains of restruants.

The same annual report said that they had just opened their 1,000th Chili's location (as of June 30, 2004). The location map shows that there are 2 in Alaska, 6 in Hawaii, and 99 International locations, which would put the number closer to 900 then 1000.

However, there is an easier way to figure it out. Just go here to get a list of all US locations (there's 951), then subtract out the 2 for Alaska and 6 for Hawaii to get the correct answer of 943.

While there may be some inconsistencies between actually open locations and what is on the website (grand openings or closings may not get updated immediately), there would be no way that they have 1000 ConUS locations.

5. Mar 8, 2005 #5 of 26
    mwgiii

mwgiii Gaming Guru and Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    shhhhhhhhhhh.........cdru.

Danny is feeling sorry for my pitiful performance in the Amazing Race contests. Let him help a brother out. ;)

6. Mar 8, 2005 #6 of 26
    Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Just go here to get a list of all US locations (there's 951), then subtract out the 2 for Alaska and 6 for Hawaii to get the correct answer of 943.

Thats where I found my answer myself. ;) They apparently added one since I checked.

Anyway, since nobody had the exact count credit is given for ballpark answers within 100.

mwgiii, is this the first time you've come in first on a detour?

7. Mar 8, 2005 #7 of 26
    cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    We all feel sorry for you mwgiii. At least you finally lost a few days. Is this the first time that you ever LOST days on a question? It really is pitiful when you lose position to people who no longer are playing. :D

Sigh. Oh well. I tried Matt.

8. Mar 8, 2005 #8 of 26
    Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Well, in that case, you should give me credit for being early by 7 minutes and send me the IPOD instread of cdru...

No, not bitter at all... :lol:

9. Mar 8, 2005 #9 of 26
    Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Well, in that case, you should give me credit for being early by 7 minutes and send me the IPOD instread of cdru...

The difference was, some people did have the right answers to that question. If everyone had gotten it wrong, then perhaps you would have gotten credit. ;)

Speaking of which, cdru, a guy I know who finished his requirements about a week prior to mine just got his ipod last weekend. So I'm still hoping to ship yours out in the next couple weeks at most. If I don't have it by April 1st at the latest I'll buy one, and then just sell the one I get from the company.

Sigh. Oh well. I tried Matt.

The other answers appear to be at least derived from Chili's locations. If what you said about Matt's answer is right, he's including other non-Chili's franchises as well, so its definately wrong.

10. mwgiii

mwgiii Gaming Guru and Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    I believe so. My hopes are now so high that I will not embarrass myself this time, that when I inevitability implode, I will be crushed forever.:D

11. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Ouch. I guess I whouldn't have wished to be like mwgiii.

12. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    So....am I doing well, or not? I can't tell.

13. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    I haven't yet graded the Q4/Q5 responses (didn't get a chance to finish watching the show last night), but I think most would say you are doing well enough.

Click on the Current Leg scoresheet above to see what I've graded thus far.

14. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    For those playing at home, here's what I got:

For Q4, I counted 4 clues: Initial clue leaving the pit stop, after the roadblock, at the statue of the Virgin Mary, and after the Detour (there's two here, but a team only gets one or the other so it counts as 1 I beleive).

For Q5, I think there was just one "Survivor" reference right at the begining during the recap, talking about the guy who recognized R/A from Survivor.

15. Tusk

Tusk Back in the Game DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 14, 2002
    Danny,

On your initial scoring you have me missing Brian/Greg on question #3, but they came in 9th. I actually got two teams right and two teams wrong.

cdru,

I counted two survivor references. One near the beginning of the recap and one either at the end of the recap or at the very beginning of the show. I will look back at the recording.

16. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    Math is hard. :(

17. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    On your initial scoring you have me missing Brian/Greg on question #3, but they came in 9th. I actually got two teams right and two teams wrong.

Thanks. Corrected it in the spreadsheet. You'll notice the change tonight when I post final results.

18. JeffreyTaylor

JeffreyTaylor New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    The link to the scores says you are over your bandwidth limit. Is there anyway to get the scores (not that I really want to see mine)?

19. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    New results uploaded.

Bandwidth should clear up tonight after midnight.

I've uploaded the Excel file as well so you can view it directly. Right now you are in lower half of the pack in 11th place.

20. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Whew. I didn't screw up nearly as bad as I thought I did. I didn't count the roadblock clue, counting only 4 for my grading. That change in 9 points for many people really changed my position.