Amazing Race Contest: LEG 3 QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Danny R, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    This week's questions are now online!

Deadline to reply to the questions is midnight prior to the airing of the show (Eastern time).

Click here when you are ready to begin. Your time will begin once you click the START button found on that page.

PLEASE NOTE: This is a timed question. Before pressing START, make certain you are prepared to spend a few minutes answering them. Time begins when you press START, and ends when you hit the SEND INFO button found on the next page.

Good Luck!!!

PRIZE THIS SEASON IS A 20 GB APPLE IPOD.

The questions for this week are:

Question 1 (REQUIRED) : Which team finishes first in this leg? Answer correctly and no time will be added. Incorrect or no answer, add 1 day.

Jonathan & Victoria (42M/31F) Married Professionals
    Lori & Bolo (32F/38M) Wrestlers
    Rebecca & Adam (29F/27M) "Weird" Ex-Dating Couple
    Kris & Jon (30F/29M) Long Distance Daters
    Freddy & Kendra (35M/25F) Engaged Models
    Lena & Kristy (23F/26F) Sisters
    Aaron & Hayden (25M/25F) Dating Models
    Hera & Gustavus (23F/49M) Father/Daughter
    Donald & Mary Jean (69M/65F) Married

---------------------

Question 2 (REQUIRED) : Which team comes in last place this week?Select one of the answers below. No time is added for correct answers, and one day will be added for incorrect.

Jonathan & Victoria (42M/31F) Married Professionals
    Lori & Bolo (32F/38M) Wrestlers
    Rebecca & Adam (29F/27M) "Weird" Ex-Dating Couple
    Kris & Jon (30F/29M) Long Distance Daters
    Freddy & Kendra (35M/25F) Engaged Models
    Lena & Kristy (23F/26F) Sisters
    Aaron & Hayden (25M/25F) Dating Models
    Hera & Gustavus (23F/49M) Father/Daughter
    Donald & Mary Jean (69M/65F) Married

----------------------

Question 3 : Which partner of each team chooses to do the Roadblock for this leg?You lose a day for each correct person you have checked and gain a day for each incorrect person you have checked.
    You may check as many or as few as you wish.

Jonathan
    Victoria (42M/31F) Married Professionals

Lori
    Bolo (32F/38M) Wrestlers

Rebecca
    Adam (29F/27M) "Weird" Ex-Dating Couple

Kris
    Jon (30F/29M) Long Distance Daters

Freddy
    Kendra (35M/25F) Engaged Models

Lena
    Kristy (23F/26F) Sisters

Aaron
    Hayden (25M/25F) Dating Models

Hera
    Gustavus (23F/49M) Father/Daughter

Donald
    Mary Jean (69M/65F) Married

There is no Roadblock shown in this leg.

-------------------

Question 4 YIELD (REQUIRED) : What is the time difference between the first and last team as they start this leg?
    Closest answer wins the YIELD and may add a day to another contestants time and they lose a day from their own time.
    If no times are shown, the person with the highest guess wins the prize.

Time: 1:18

------------------------

Question 5 (BONUS) : If the penalty given in Leg 2 for Freddy and Kendra had been 1 hour instead of 30 minutes, would they have found themselves eliminated?
    Get this question correct and you will have 1 minute reduced from your response time for this week.

IMPOSSIBLE TO DETERMINE My rationale was wrong. Its impossible to judge this question, thus it will be tossed.

-------------------------

DETOURS:
    For the next two questions (two detours), choose between them and pick only ONE to answer. If you choose not to play the DETOURS, select that option now:

I'm too lazy to play the detours!

Make certain you clear the text out of the detour fields below.

---------------------

If you get the answers correct, your time will be determined by how quickly compared to other contestants you are able to mail the answers in. A wrong answer will be scored as worse than any correct answers with better time. ANSWER ONLY ONE!

---------------------

Detour 1: This week the teams finish their tour of Scandanavia by visiting Sweden. This year it was reported that the latest "worlds richest man" (surpassing Bill Gates) is from Sweden.
    What is the name of the fourth employee hired by this entrepreneur?

Gillis Lundgren

Only two folks chose this route this week. The founder of IKEA, Ingvar Kamprad, was reported to be the richest man in the world this year. However the report confused company money with personal, so it was later retracted. But that is beside the point.

Once you know the man, you would also find out the company. Going almost any IKEA page, go down to the About IKEA link, and from there find the Timeline. On the Timeline page, click the full story link. You'll find yourself here:

http://www.ikea-usa.com/ms/en_US/about_ikea/timeline/full_story.html

---------------------
    Detour 2: Like most of the Scandanavian nations, Sweden likes things cold.
    What is the price of admission (in native currency) for a child under age 18 to the Absolut Icebar in Stockholm?

A couple of you thought this was apparently a trick question, and since underage can't drink, the price was free.

Unfortunately that is not the case. While underage can't buy alcoholic beverages, they ARE able to still enter the bar and obtain non-alcoholic drinks. The price of admission is 50 Kroners (SEK).

To find this fact, you must first discover the Absolut Icebar's homepage, which is a bit difficult because lots of places talk about it, and the homepage is a swedish site and thus is often listed after local ones. Also the various icebars are part of a hotel chain, and are linked under them.

http://www.nordichotels.se/doc.open.asp?DocID=190&StructID=2

[​IMG]

Current Scoresheet

2. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Damn...

Thanks for getting these up, Danny. But, whoosh...these were really hard for me this week!

3. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    The polls close tonight!

4. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    9th? Ouch! My worst - placement -ever.

Well, except for the one I got wrong.

5. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Slight change: finniganps's data added to this week's data. He's no longer listed as non-responsive.

I didn't resort the rankings though yet, as I'll have to do that tonight anyway.

6. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Ok...this is going to sound like a stupid question at this point...but is question 1 suppose to read: "Which team finishes first in leg 1?" Last week was worded the same way as well looking back, even though it was week 2. Obviously this is week 3 and I'm assuming that you don't mean to ask what happened 2 weeks ago...but rather you just reused the question and forgot to change the wording for the current week.

7. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Ouch...this week is going to hurt...

8. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Ok...this is going to sound like a stupid question at this point...but is question 1 suppose to read: "Which team finishes first in leg 1?"

oops, yup, the question is definately for each leg of the week. ;)

9. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Answers are up (see 1st post). Let me know if you discover any mistakes.

Ouch...this week is going to hurt...

Yup, you had the worst score for Q3 and gained 5 days, however your fast response time kept the pack off so you maintained your lead.

The best score was -5. With the limit on the number of roadblocks, I really like this question. Pay attention because you'll likely see it again.

10. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Umm.. Danny? You don't really know that. My wife and I realized while watching that there's no way to know, because we don't know when the final team came in. The time difference you show above only compares to the 2nd to final team...

11. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Ah crap... thats right. D'oh.

Thus the question goes away with no impact.

I've fixed it in the scoresheet, but it had no real change on the standings.

12. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    I think the original intention was if F&K would have arrived after the announced last place team who wasn't eliminated.

13. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Sorry I screwed up your suggestion. ;) My goal for this coming week is to not mess something up. *grin*

14. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Perhaps that would be a good Bonus question: "Does Danny mess anything (game-related) up this week?" :p

15. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    I think Saul should get a 1 hour penalty for that comment. Danny is doing a wonderful job and shouldn't be harassed about questions that are impossible to determine...or even delaying getting results up just because the in-laws are over. :p With my in-laws, I would have used it as an excuse to skip out on them.

At least voiding the question didn't have a real impact on things. You lucked out again Danny on avoiding a controversy.

16. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Hehe... yeah, I didn't think about the fact that this season would overlap two major holidays. There will probably be some delays around Christmas/New Years as well.