Amazing Race Contest: LEG 3 QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Danny R, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Mar 9, 2005 #1 of 33
    Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This week's questions are now online!

Deadline to reply to the questions is midnight (Eastern time) prior to the airing of the show (March 15th)

If you have not already read the rules, please do so now.

Click here when you are ready to begin. Your time will begin once you click the START button found on that page.

PLEASE NOTE: This is a timed question. Before pressing START, make certain you are prepared to spend a few minutes answering them. Time begins when you press START, and ends when you hit the SUBMIT button found on the page after.

Good Luck!!!

GRAND PRIZE THIS SEASON IS A $200 GIFT CERTIFICATE TO DISH DEPOT
    2nd Place prize is a $50 Gift Certificate to an online retailer of your choice.

2. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    QUESTION 1: Which team comes in first for this leg of the race?
    No time added for a correct response. One day added for incorrect.
    Brian/Greg - brothers
    Debbie/Bianca - lifelong friends
    Lynn/Alex - boyfriends
    Meredith/Gretchen - grandparents
    Ray/Deana - dating on and off
    Rob/Amber - engaged
    Ron/Kelly - dating
    Susan/Patrick - mother/son
    Uchenna/Joyce - married

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    QUESTION 2: Which team comes in last place for this leg of the race?No time added for a correct response. One day added for incorrect.
    Brian/Greg - brothers
    Debbie/Bianca - lifelong friends
    Lynn/Alex - boyfriends
    Meredith/Gretchen - grandparents
    Ray/Deana - dating on and off
    Rob/Amber - engaged
    Ron/Kelly - dating
    Susan/Patrick - mother/son
    Uchenna/Joyce - married

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    QUESTION 3: Which member of each team will do a roadblock this leg?
    One day added for each member you incorrectly or fail to correctly select.
    Brian - brothers
    Greg - brothers
    Debbie - lifelong friends
    Bianca - lifelong friends
    Lynn - boyfriends
    Alex - boyfriends
    Meredith - grandparents
    Gretchen - grandparents
    Ray - dating on and off
    Deana - dating on and off
    Rob - engaged
    Amber - engaged
    Ron - dating
    Kelly - dating
    Susan - mother/son
    Patrick - mother/son
    Uchenna - married
    Joyce - married

QUESTION 4: How many group points are there for this leg of the race?
    A group point is defined as a location where all the teams catch up before another team is able to leave. Start and Pit Stops are excluded. For a large location (such as an airport) to be considered a group point, it must be obvious that the teams are all together in the same section at the same time. This might mean a subjective call on my part. Closest answer loses no time. All other answers add days equal to the correct number.

There was only 1 group point, as the teams had to wait at the car park to get their vehicles prior to leaving Santiago.

QUESTION 5: What is the time difference between the 1st and last team at the start of this leg?
    Closest answer wins a Yield, and subtracts a day from their time. They also win the chance to yield another player.

The difference between the teams start was 3 hrs, 12 minutes.

QUESTION 6: What is the gender of the local greeter standing with Phil at the Pit stop?Get the question right and lose a day. Wrong and gain a day.
    Male
    Female

DETOURS:
    Pick one of the following detours to answer. You may choose to not answer a detour if you wish and simple leave both blank. You will be graded against others who likewise choose that option. If you answer more than one, you will be graded only on the one that the majority of other players also pick, resulting in a possibly worse score.

DETOUR 1: What is the highest peak found in the Andes mountains and how tall is it? Include source.

Answer is Aconcagua. All those who gave that peak got credit, although the heights differed (always amazes me that there is no simple answer to questions sometimes)

DETOUR 2: This week apparently features an eating challenge. What gross foods did Rob and Amber have to eat during challenges in ALL episodes of Survivor that they were part of? More complete lists are given better credit.

Only two entries for this question, giving the participants a hefty -8 bonus. EDIT: limit for bonus is -5 however

Tusk you missed Amber's buggy, but aren't marked as having a wrong answer since its obvious from the context that I thought some folks would be able to find more than others.

Here is Amber doing the munchies:
    [​IMG]

Preliminary results:
    THIS WEEKS RESULTS

CUMULATIVE RESULTS

3. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Preliminary standings above... final results after the show tonight.

4. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Isn't there a 5 day limit on the "bonus" the lesser detour players get?

5. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Oops. Guess so. Helps if I remember my own rules. Scoresheet now fixed. The new score puts Mark 1 point ahead of you and Tusk 1 point behind you.

hehe, cdru, you aren't going to win any friends by pointing out errors that benefit yourself and take away points from others. I believe this week you have 1 yield specifically targeting you.

Careful out there... the guns are pointing. :lol:

6. Tusk

Tusk Back in the Game DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 14, 2002
    I guess you worked this out on your COMPUTER while listening to your IPOD. :lol: We are all going to have to get serious this season if we want to dethrone you. :D

7. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    If I wouldn't have, it would have come out eventually anyways. Plus I'll take a 1 penalty over someone else getting a -3 advantage.

We'll see at the end of the show who's ahead. I realized I misread one of the questions. I read Q4 as the number of clues, not bunch points. C'est la vie.

Blame it on the metric system. All the differences can be attributed to rounding error. If NASA can't get it right, how are we suppose to do the conversion either? :)

8. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    I guess you worked this out on your COMPUTER while listening to your IPOD.

Probably used the computer, but he hasn't gotten the ipod yet. As I mentioned during that contest, that ipod was coming from one of the freebie ipod sites, and I'm still waiting on it to ship.

9. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    I took so long on that detour because I had to go back and actually look at the tape of that epsiode of S2 to see what Amber ate. Couldn't find it on the web anywhere.

10. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Hmmm, I find it pretty scary that you still have a recording of Survivor 2. ;-)

Anyway, Amber's website had the info.

11. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Leg 3 never seems to be a great leg for hot chicks

12. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Looks like your perseverance paid off.

13. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Barring an error, final answers are now posted. I'm currently getting an error that I maxed my download bandwidth out on the server the files are located on, so check back after midnight eastern if you get that message too.

Everyone doublecheck your Road Block answers, as thats the likely place I messed up.

Congrats to heathadiesel for getting the roadblock question entirely right which moves him into 3rd place and a couple points off the lead.

On the other hand, nobody picked the correct winner/loser for this leg.

14. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Danny, I have every Survivor season on tape... :D

15. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    So....was I the leader and got yielded?

If so, how the FRACK am I doing well in this game when I barely pay attention and I'm making just random guesses on any question that not a fact (like looking up some net fact)?

Or, am I reading it wrong and I'm not doing well? Because, honestly, I still don't get how the game is scored. (Don't try to explain--math makes my head hurt. I'm not mathletic.)

16. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    Danny, do you want small free website for this? I can give you one, if you like.

17. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    No. You are in 4th place. Mark Holtz won the yield and chose to yield no one. If you win the yield, you get a -1. If you are yielded you get a +1. If you win the yield but also get yielded, like I did last week, they cancel each other out.

Because the rest of us are making wild eyed guesses as well. Well, some of us visit spoiler sites and might get a little bit to go on, unless the spoiler is wrong (which happened this week).

You are doing decent. Pretty well actually. You are definitely a contender. You are only 5 days out of first, and with as many points Danny has been putting up for grab, it's not a problem. There are still 9 legs to go though.

Everyone note, the March 29th show looks to be a 2-hour, 2-leg show.

18. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    cdru - did you find a spoiler saying that Rob and Amber would be first again this week? I see that we both picked the same way, and my pick of Rob and Amber was a WAG (wild-assed guess).

19. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    Thanks for the help in showing me where I am. Please do this for me every week? :)

From your post I've learned:

1. I don't understand how to read the graph.
    2. Wild guesses work
    3. I won't win, but I won't make a fool of myself
    4. Math is still hard.

20. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Nope. WAG here as well. I took the uttering from Rob in the previews of "I'm Done" to mean he was finished with the task, not that he was done being a man and turning into a sissy with a tiny weak stomach. The spoiler that was wrong that I mentioned was that Susan/Patrick when 2 hours the wrong way. While they did take forever getting out of the city, it was Debbie/Bianca that went the wrong way.

Congratulations to Alex, Greg, Uchenna, Ron, Patrick, and Debbie for actually sticking with it and finishing, as oppose to Rob, Meredith, and Deana who wimped out. Rob showed the amazing ability to sucker in other teams and in doing so, brought them down to his level. Yuck. TAR producers should have started the 4 hour clock when the last team arrives (or finishes), not when the next team arrives.