Amazing Race Contest: LEG 4 QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Danny R, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This week's questions are now online!

Deadline to reply to the questions is midnight (Eastern time) prior to the airing of the show (March 22nd)

If you have not already read the rules, please do so now.

Click here when you are ready to begin. Your time will begin once you click the START button found on that page.

PLEASE NOTE: This is a timed question. Before pressing START, make certain you are prepared to spend a few minutes answering them. Time begins when you press START, and ends when you hit the SUBMIT button found on the page after.

Good Luck!!!

GRAND PRIZE THIS SEASON IS A $200 GIFT CERTIFICATE TO DISH DEPOT
    2nd Place prize is a $50 Gift Certificate to an online retailer of your choice.

2. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    QUESTION 1: Which team comes in first for this leg of the race?
    No time added for a correct response. One day added for incorrect.
    Brian/Greg - brothers
    Lynn/Alex - boyfriends
    Meredith/Gretchen - grandparents
    Ray/Deana - dating on and off
    Rob/Amber - engaged
    Ron/Kelly - dating
    Susan/Patrick - mother/son
    Uchenna/Joyce - married

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    QUESTION 2: Which team comes in last place for this leg of the race?No time added for a correct response. One day added for incorrect.
    Brian/Greg - brothers
    Lynn/Alex - boyfriends
    Rob/Amber - engaged
    Ron/Kelly - dating
    Uchenna/Joyce - married

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    QUESTION 3: Which teams will take the MOST Traveled detour this leg?One day added for each member you incorrectly or fail to correctly select. If you select ONLY the tie option and its right, it will be worth -2 days.
    Brian/Greg - brothers
    Rob/Amber - engaged
    Lynn/Alex - boyfriends
    Ron/Kelly - dating
    Uchenna/Joyce - married

Tie - 4 teams go each detour

QUESTION 4: How many group points are there for this leg of the race?A group point is defined as a location where all the teams catch up before another team is able to leave. Start and Pit Stops are excluded. For a large location (such as an airport) to be considered a group point, it must be obvious that the teams are all together in the same section at the same time. This might mean a subjective call on my part. Closest answer loses no time. All other answers add days equal to the correct number.

There were 0 group points this race

QUESTION 5: What is the time difference between the 1st and last team at the start of this leg?
    Closest answer wins a Yield, and subtracts a day from their time. They also win the chance to yield another player.

5 hrs 7 min

QUESTION 6: What is the gender of the local greeter standing with Phil at the Pit stop?Get the question right and lose a day. Wrong and gain a day.
    Male
    Female

DETOURS:
    Pick one of the following detours to answer. You may choose to not answer a detour if you wish and simple leave both blank. You will be graded against others who likewise choose that option. If you answer more than one, you will be graded only on the one that the majority of other players also pick, resulting in a possibly worse score.

DETOUR 1: This week the teams appear to have to work with some horses. Who was the first person to introduce horses to the America's (continent or islands), and exactly how many were brought? Include source.

Columbus and members of his crew brought horses (sources differ on how many) on his second voyage.

Full credit given for those who answered with at least Columbus.

(one of you did indicated that a subspecies of horse had lived on the continent before... but obviously no person introduced those so it doesn't fit the quesiton. Glad you also included the Columbus info)

DETOUR 2: Lets learn a bit about another team. Meredith of the Meredith/Gretchen has some interesting history. What is his military history and what duty did he perform while in service that is considered very honorable? (something other than just serving - you'll know it if you find it, but if there is more than one thing, I'm refering to what he did between 1959-1960)

The specific thing I was looking for was that Meredith served as a Sentinel to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

I'm surprised this isn't listed on his biography. Originally I was considering asking what specific swimming awards he had won (title and year) but then came across this little nugget of information during my research and couldn't pass it up.

Before you could find it of course, you had to discover what his last name was. Then doing a search on that, the Tomb page would appear.

Preliminary results:
    THIS WEEKS RESULTS

CUMULATIVE RESULTS

3. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    Crap. I was sick and think I forgot to do this. Danny, can you check? I don't remember.

4. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    Yeah...I think I forgot this week. I've had bronchitis. :( Ah well. (Unless I'm mistaken and I did do it. Meh)

(Heh. I tried to take it now to see if I remembered any questions, and I can't see 'em since it's closed.)

5. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    The questions were:
    Who comes in first
    Who comes in last
    What teams take the majority route (+1 for every team incorrect checked or missed, -2 if you only chose tie and are correct)
    Number of bunch points
    Time separating first and last placed teams at the start (Yield)
    Gender of the local mat greeter
    Detour questions were something like when were the first horses introduced to the Americas and who introduced them (I may be off on this one...it had to do with horses and Americas). The other detour question was what very honorable thing did Meredith do in the military during the 1959-1960 time frame (it's actually started in October of 1958 but what's a few months).

I don't believe there were any suprise scoring rule changes other then what was noted above. I left my printout at home so I can't check.

Worst case you are looking at 13+ days added. You best hope is that there is a 4-4 split for the detour choice question to minimize the penalty from that question.

6. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    Yup. I missed this one. Ah well. It's like missing a plane at an airport and coming in automatic last. :)

"Cap, I'm sorry to tell you you're the last to arrive. You've been eliminated from the race."

"I learned a lot about myself, Phil. And more importantly, I learned a lot about cdru. He's too good and must be stopped. I wish everyone luck, and I'd like to now be sent on vacation by you and CBS. Thanks."

I'll try the game again next time. :)

7. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Ah you weren't eliminated. It was a non-elim round. You just get moved back into last place and have to fight your way back up to first.

And seriously I'm not too good. I'm just lucky. Some weeks I can get the answer quickly. Other weeks I take longer then I think I should have, like this week. I actually had trouble this week at first. I guess I'll just have to see how quickly others found the 2nd detour to beat my 12 minute time. I'm sure someone behind me will get to catch up to me though. I'm hoping that the majority of people when with the easier question about horses so my slower time might get a bonus.

I did learn through my research into the question that there are 5 Smiths running the race, Brian, Greg, Meredith, Gretchen, and Bianca.

8. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    Smith is a common name. :)

I probably will bow out of the rest of the race anyway. It's difficult for me as I save it for Friday to watch with friends. We make a regular get together over it.

9. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    I'd hate to see you go. It'd only take a few minutes to take the no detour route. The rest of the questions are just an educated guess.

10. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    Well, we'll see how far back I am when the totals come out. BUT--you have to let me know how far back I am overall...because to be honest, I can never make heads or tales of it. :)

11. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    :eek2: 12 minutes!?! Wow, and here I was thinking my just over 5 minute time on Detour 2 was going to be way too slow! :)

12. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Yeah...but did you get the right answer? I'll let you pull ahead a little. Gives you that false sense of security. :grin:

13. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    There is always the fast forward. Teams who find the fast forward...

:bonk1: sorry, Capmeister, please forgive me. I'm starting to sound like Phil. Now, if only I had Phil's life experiences.... although I'll skip the "nearly drowning" part.

14. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    I read somewhere that he traveled something like 480,000 miles last year and over 4 million miles over his life time. I like to travel, but jet lag has got to set in somewhere.

15. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    I once nearly drown. I was 4 years old. My mom saved me. Sometimes she had regrets about that.... ;)

just kidding.

16. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    ABout the regrets? or the drowing? or that you were 4?

17. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    That she had regrets :p

I was four, and I did almost drown. We were all in the pool and I went under--just saw bubbles and breathed in water. Very scary.

18. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Preliminary results posted above.

19. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Woo-Hoo! First on my chosen detour 2 weeks in a row! :D

20. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    Ok, so...where did I rank and why and is it over?