Amazing Race Contest: LEG 5 QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Danny R, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Dec 8, 2004 #1 of 19
    Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    This week's questions are now online!

Question 1 (REQUIRED) : Which team finishes first in this leg?Answer correctly and no time will be added. Incorrect or no answer, add 1 day.

Jonathan & Victoria (42M/31F) Married Professionals
    Lori & Bolo (32F/38M) Wrestlers
    Rebecca & Adam (29F/27M) "Weird" Ex-Dating Couple
    Kris & Jon (30F/29M) Long Distance Daters
    Freddy & Kendra (35M/25F) Engaged Models
    Aaron & Hayden (25M/25F) Dating Models
    Hera & Gustavus (23F/49M) Father/Daughter
    Donald & Mary Jean (69M/65F) Married

--------------------

Question 2 (REQUIRED) : Which team comes in last place this week?

Select one of the answers below. No time is added for correct answers, and one day will be added for incorrect.

Jonathan & Victoria (42M/31F) Married Professionals
    Lori & Bolo (32F/38M) Wrestlers
    Rebecca & Adam (29F/27M) "Weird" Ex-Dating Couple
    Kris & Jon (30F/29M) Long Distance Daters
    Freddy & Kendra (35M/25F) Engaged Models
    Aaron & Hayden (25M/25F) Dating Models
    Hera & Gustavus (23F/49M) Father/Daughter
    Donald & Mary Jean (69M/65F) Married

-----------------------

Question 3 : Which team-mates perform the Roadblock for this leg?
    Each correct selection loses you a day. Each incorrect adds a day. You may select as many or as few as you wish.

Jonathan
    Victoria (42M/31F) Married Professionals

Lori
    Bolo (32F/38M) Wrestlers

Rebecca
    Adam (29F/27M) "Weird" Ex-Dating Couple

Kris
    Jon (30F/29M) Long Distance Daters

Freddy
    Kendra (35M/25F) Engaged Models

Aaron
    Hayden (25M/25F) Dating Models

Hera
    Gustavus (23F/49M) Father/Daughter

Donald
    Mary Jean (69M/65F) Married

--------------------------

Question 4 YIELD (REQUIRED) : How much money (estimated in US $) will Donald and Mary Jean obtain from others for this leg? Closest answer wins the YIELD and may add a day to another contestants time and they lose a day from their own time. If no money is collected, the answer is considered 0. If money is seen changing hands, but no amounts are discussed, the person with the highest guess wins. If money is seen changing hands, but only some amounts are discussed, the sum of all amounts disclosed will be considered the correct answer. The amount has to be actually spoken. Just seeing the currency on screen doesn't count.

$8 (Kris/Jon) + 20 (Jonathan/Victoria) +5 (Lori/Bolo) + ??? (Aaron/Hayden) + 5 (Rebecca/Adam) + ??? (Freddy/Kendra) + 5 EU~$6.63 (Gus/Hera) = 44.63

----------------------

DETOURS:
    For the next two questions (two detours), choose between them and pick only
    ONE to answer. If you choose not to play the DETOURS, select that option now:
    I'm too lazy to play the detours!
    Make certain you clear the text out of the detour fields below.
    (if you hit the button and change your mind, click the reset button at the bottom of the form to clear your answers)

----------------------

If you get the answers correct, your time will be determined by how quickly compared to other contestants you are able to mail the answers in. A wrong answer will be scored as worse than any correct answers with better time. ANSWER ONLY ONE!

-----------------------

Detour 1: Dakar serves as the finish line for a grueling intercontinental race held at the start of each year. What mandatory vacination(s) are required by the rally organizers before competitors can enter?

Yellow Fever is the only mandatory vacination for the Paris-Dakar race held at the first of each year (finish line is at Lac Rose btw). A number of others vacinnations are recommended. If you listed these on your answers WITHOUT stating they were only recommended, the answer is considered wrong.

-------------------------

Detour 2: Continuing our racing theme, its believed our teams travel to Berlin, where soap box derby's are popular. What are the names of the 2004 winners pictured below (standing on podium)?

[​IMG]

The contestants are Tina Bernhardt, Phillip Vorbohle, and Eileen Gerhold.

Ideally one could find the answer by looking at the banner in the picture and discovering these were the Master's class winners. Then knowing some german, you could locate the soapbox derby races held this year in Berlin and get the winners list.

The site this prize is found on is http://www.seifenkisten.de/

PRIZE THIS SEASON IS A 20 GB APPLE IPOD.

THIS WEEKS RESULTS

2. Ric

Ric Godfather DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 26, 2002
    These were tough for me! Not sure if I can hang around the top after this week, especially the Detour.

3. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Its almost the 13th hour... 13 hours till the deadline for this week's questions that is!

4. Tusk

Tusk Back in the Game DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 14, 2002
    Stick a fork in me, I'm done (finally) :bang

5. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Don't get discouraged Ric. It only matters who is in first at the end of leg 13...unless Danny wants to start handing out trips to the winners of each leg. :)

I was in the bottom half for two thirds of last season's contest. It wasn't until I used a Fast Forward in Week 8 that I became a contender. Saulres was in the top half the entire season, but I don't believe ever made it in the top 3 until the end.

For those really behind, there are several FF in this contest so even if people down at the bottom of the pack still have just as much of a chance as the leader in the early legs. With some of the questions that Danny has given us, you can lose quite a few days, or add them if you are wrong, which can have a big impact on where you are at. For the type of question where you gain/lose a day for each correct answer, such as the one in leg 3, any one of the active participating people are still in it.

Also, with the scoring based of of submittal time, people anywhere can jump up several days. You just gotta be faster then the guy ahead of you.

6. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Preliminary answers are posted above.

7. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Woo! Nice job, cdru! You were the only one to answer Detour 2, and you got it right in two and one-half minutes?!? I spent something like fifteen minutes searching on all sorts of things and still couldn't find the answers, so gave up and bailed to Detour 1. Looks like I would've been better off continuing to search...

8. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    I can't take full credit. I already knew about the site. One of the spoiler forms was discussing the soap box derby shown in the preview and I discovered the site from a different site that was linked from the discussion. The actual site where it was found, seifenkisten.de, was later posted in that discussion. That's kind of why I asked the poll question about if people visit spoiler forums. If you had, you would have possibly gotten a leg up this week if you answered after early Friday morning.

You can see the actual times at http://www.seifenkisten.de/liste.htm# under Master-Division Endlauf. Click on the names to see pictures of the racers. Eileen definitely has some red hair.

9. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    A fluency in german would have helped one even more.

"seifenkisten" is the german word for soap box, so "seifenkisten.de" is an obvious site to look at, and unfortunately the spoiler folks linked it.

10. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Danny, what's the response bonus again in your spreadsheet?

11. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    I tried looking this up after I put in my entry and I couldn't even find an official race page, let alone information about vaccination(s). Where did people find their information at?

12. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
  13. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    That is the "starting point" for each week. This takes into account how fast you answered your question. If you answered quicker then the person the next day ahead of you, you get a response bonus to subtract time from your score to "catch up" to them.

14. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Where did people find their information at?

The official homepage for the race is: http://www.dakar.com/

what's the response bonus again in your spreadsheet?

Its a bonus you get if you respond to each week's questions FASTER than the person ranked just ahead of you. Basically its the game's equivalent to a chokepoint, and means you've caught up to them. Only active players are eligible and used for consideration.

Last week you had 9 points and were ranked 5th. You had a faster time than Ric or Compubit, who had 8 points and were ranked 3rd. Thus you tie up with them (you only had to beat one of them however to get this bonus).

cdru, who had 7 points and was ranked 2nd, had faster times than both the 3rd place folks, so neither of them jumped ahead, and you couldn't cascade into an even greater bonus.

15. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Final results for this week are up!

16. abospaum

abospaum AllStar

Jul 11, 2002
    Does everyone think that this response bonus is fair when so many people are skipping the detours. Teams in the race can't skip a detour and if they did they would get a major penalty.

17. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Your right that teams can't skip a detour, but they also can't skip flights and other pinch points and essentially must allow teams behind them to catch up with them at the airport, ferry, train, etc. It's part of the race. If you don't want them to catch up, you have to answer the detour question (or skip the detour question) faster then the guy behind you. Those that skip the detour get the added "penalty" that they get the fastest non-detour time added to their score.

If you don't like this feature, then skip the detours and hope you get your answers in very quickly. It's been part of the rules all this season and is applied uniformly, so I'd say it's "fair".

With 30 people playing (OK...less that are active), only a hand full have taken the no detour routes on a weekly basis. You can't gain days by taking longer, only lose them. I'd work on figuring out (quickly) which option on a weekly basis would be best for you. If the questions look hard enough or you don't have an idea where to start to find them, take the detour. If you have an idea about one detour over the other, go that route. The worst you could do is try to find it and if wrong or you don't get it, you gain 4 days. If you do find it, then you might gain less days with the detour answer or even lose one if your quick enough.

I've been able to maintain my lead not necessarily by knowing who gets eliminated or comes in first, but rather by answering correctly in the detours and fast enough that I keep the person behind be from catching up and also in the process catching up to the guy ahead of me. Use the feature to your advantage, not to your detriment.

18. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    I offered the no detour option because of a comment last season that some folks would have played but didn't have the time to go scavenger hunting.

Doing the no-detour doesn't appear to offer much of an advantage though. Those who use it are fairly scattered through the rankings. The highest ranked players who have used it have only placed 2nd. The first time this happened was in Leg 1, when the bonus wasn't even used (no prior week). Mark Lamutt used it for the first time in Leg 5, and his 2 points as a result is right on average with what he normally gets for taking the detour.

The reason there is an "Adjusted Bonus Time" on the table is because those who opt out of the detours are penalized by adding in the quickest time for a detour player. Thus its impossible for a no-detour player to ever tie up with the leader, as they will always have a slower time.

No detour players also are penalized by never getting a negative time bonus on their route, as the 1st place leader for each detour does.

On average I'd expect about half the group to jump ahead each week slightly. This has held true for the no-detour folks as well.

19. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Yeah, I chose that route last week for 2 reasons...wanted to see what it would do to my score, and I really didn't have time to do the scavenger hunting. I definitely don't plan on using it much more because I like the hunt, but it's a great option if you've got exactly 2 minutes to play due to other things going on.