Amazing Race Contest: LEG 6 QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Danny R, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    This week's questions are now online!

Deadline to reply to the questions is midnight prior to the airing of the show (Eastern time).

Click here when you are ready to begin. Your time will begin once you click the START button found on that page.

PLEASE NOTE: This is a timed question. Before pressing START, make certain you are prepared to spend a few minutes answering them. Time begins when you press START, and ends when you hit the SEND INFO button found on the next page.

Good Luck!!!

PRIZE THIS SEASON IS A 20 GB APPLE IPOD.

THIS WEEKS RESULTS

---------------------------------------------

Question 1 (REQUIRED) : Which team finishes first in this leg?
    Answer correctly and no time will be added. Incorrect or no answer, add 1 day.

Jonathan & Victoria (42M/31F) Married Professionals
    Lori & Bolo (32F/38M) Wrestlers
    Rebecca & Adam (29F/27M) "Weird" Ex-Dating Couple
    Kris & Jon (30F/29M) Long Distance Daters
    Freddy & Kendra (35M/25F) Engaged Models
    Aaron & Hayden (25M/25F) Dating Models
    Hera & Gustavus (23F/49M) Father/Daughter

------------------------

Question 2 (REQUIRED) : Which team comes in last place this week?
    Select one of the answers below. No time is added for correct answers, and one day will be added for incorrect.

--------------------------

Question 3 : Which team-mates perform the Roadblock for this leg?Each correct selection loses you a day. Each incorrect adds a day. You may select as many or as few as you wish.

Jonathan
    Victoria (42M/31F) Married Professionals

Lori
    Bolo (32F/38M) Wrestlers

Rebecca
    Adam (29F/27M) "Weird" Ex-Dating Couple

Kris
    Jon (30F/29M) Long Distance Daters

Freddy
    Kendra (35M/25F) Engaged Models

Aaron
    Hayden (25M/25F) Dating Models

Hera
    Gustavus (23F/49M) Father/Daughter

There is no Roadblock shown in this leg.

----------------------

Question 4 YIELD (REQUIRED) : What is the time difference between the 1st and last teams at the start of this week's leg? Closest answer wins the ability to YIELD another player and add a day to their time. They also lose a day from their score.

Time: 1:35

-----------------------

BONUS Question 5 (Required) : Will there be any official penalty or warning given to Jonathan for his shoving of Victoria?
    Wrong answers gain a day. All correct answers predicting the penalty lose a day. No penalty means no bonus.

There will be a time penalty
    There will be a financial penalty
    There will be an official warning
    There will be some other official consequence not listed
    There will be some combination of the above and not just one.
    There will not be any repurcussions

----------------------

BONUS Question 6 (Required) : This is the sixth leg of the race. Beginning with the next leg, its possible that some teams may make a mistake and accidentally have a teammate participate in more than the six roadblocks they are allowed. Will any team forget the 6 Roadblock rule?
    Forgetting is defined as the illegible teammate actually starting the roadblock task.
    The answers for this question may not be immediately known. Thus this question will be graded as if it were part of whatever leg that this mistake is made clear. Thus if a team makes this mistake in Leg 8, this question will be considered part of the Leg 8 questions. If no team ever makes the mistake, this question will obviously be part of the final Leg's questions. Until the answer is first known, the answers will remain hidden. If multiple teams make the error, only the FIRST
    instance will count.

Depending on your answer, you will gain or lose the points accordingly:

Simple yes - a team (any) makes this mistake. -1 day if right, +1 if wrong.
    Nobody makes this mistake. -1 if right, +1 if wrong

Or... increase your value and select which team makes the mistake (-3 days if right, +2 if wrong):

Or... select exactly which teammate originally runs the Roadblock illegally (-7 days if right, +3 if wrong)

Jonathan
    Victoria (42M/31F) Married Professionals

Lori
    Bolo (32F/38M) Wrestlers

Rebecca
    Adam (29F/27M) "Weird" Ex-Dating Couple

Kris
    Jon (30F/29M) Long Distance Daters

Freddy
    Kendra (35M/25F) Engaged Models

Aaron
    Hayden (25M/25F) Dating Models

Hera
    Gustavus (23F/49M) Father/Daughter

---------------------

DETOURS:
    For the next two questions (two detours), choose between them and pick only
    ONE to answer.

---------------------

If you get the answers correct, your time will be determined by how quickly compared to other contestants you are able to mail the answers in. A wrong answer will be scored as worse than any correct answers with better time. ANSWER ONLY ONE!

-----------------------

Detour 1: This past week we visited the remains of the Berlin wall. During the wall's existence, many tried to cross it. 192 lost their lives in the attempt.
    What is the name of the East German border patrol agent who gave the mortal wound for the last death at the wall?

Chris Gueffroy was the last person killed while trying to cross the wall. The border patrol guard who fired the mortal shot was named Ingo Heinrich . A number of other border patrol guards were involved, many of which were rewarded at the time of the incident by East Germany. After reunification however, they found themselves in court, although many only received probation for just following orders. A few superiors who gave those orders got stiffer sentences.

----------------------

Detour 2: Our teams this week drive from Berlin to Hungary and visit the site where the 2000 locals successfully defended themselves against 60,000 Turkish invaders. Located at this site is the following tomb.
    [​IMG]

What is the name of the person buried in this tomb?

The site I refer to is Eger Castle in Hungary. There Dobó István , who is buried at the Castle and who's tombstone is pictured, and 2000 locals held off the Turks for over a month, despite overwhelming odds against them. Unfortunately the Turks returned a few years later and took the castle, but its the victory that inspires the locals.

2. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    13th Hour Warning!

Just over 13 hours till this week's polls close.

3. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Preliminary results posted

4. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Woo! Finally! 1st place on the Detour.

Wonder if I was helped by people trying the FF?

5. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    From the times on the spreadsheet, no. Everyone had a significantly higher time in answering their regular entires. The only way the FF might have influenced the scores is if the 3 that went the FF route took longer on their regular entries because they thought they might get the FF. Doubtful though.

You were helped out much more by the fact that mwgiii, happygolucky, and bgilmore didn't get entries in. Because of your time you got bumped up 7 days plus another 1 for coming in first. Net loss of 8 days...not too shabby. Moved up from 10th place to 4th.

I feared that I'd be in the middle of the pack with a 7+ minute time but apparently not.

Note that Danny hasn't sorted them on the spreadsheet yet.

6. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Danny - for Bonus Question 5, how will you judge the correct answer if nothing is shown in the episode, now that it's been reported that the executive producer sat Jonathan down and warned him to cut it out? Will it count as on Official warning or an Official consequence if it's not shown during the episode?

7. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    My .02 worth of opinion would be that it has to be shown on air. In past questions, information from outside sources (spoilers, press releases, official/unofficial websites) didn't count towards the answer to the race.

8. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Yup, if its not shown or mentioned on air, it doesn't count.

By mentioned, I mean if a warning or penalty is given off air, but its clearly referenced on-air, then I'll count that. As always, anything subjective comes down to a referee decision by me.

In any case, from what I've read, that doesn't really count as a "official warning" to me, as there were no repurcussions mentioned and indeed it just sounds like he's just saying that Jonathan's actions don't make for good TV.
    NOTE: Tonight's episode is in a different time slot tonight! Check your listings.

9. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Questions not answered tonight will be postponed until answers are apparent. They will however be graded as being part of Leg 6 (except where noted such as Bonus Q6).

Now I have to figure out what in the world to ask you folks for next week. ;)

10. Ric

Ric Godfather DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 26, 2002
    Ugh! I forgot all about this - past week we have had pneumonia, bronchitis, strep throat, and two bouts of stomach virus among our 4 family members. Lots of fun and trying to get ready for Christmas in between the dr visits. Guess I'll have to get one of these fast forwards to make it now....

11. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    ok, I have a question....Bolo and spouse missed the last train. Why wouldn't they just get to the next stop by other means and take the time penalty - it couldn't be worse then waiting until the next day to get the first train?

12. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Since the questions cover a leg, I don't see why you need to create a new set for next week.

13. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    I agree

14. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Penalty's can be pretty harsh...

In Season 1, Nancy and Emily were penalized 24 hours by taking a taxi when instructed to take a private car or bus.

---

So do you folks want to just take the week off? It is a holiday season so I don't really mind.

I figured I'd have the extra set of questions in there in any case, but if most folks would rather skip this week let me know. By all accounts its just the conclusion of this leg, probably with a leadup of previously unreleased footage.

15. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Well, how do you know that they don't take some alternate means? Until next week we probably won't know. Plus maybe they don't know what the penalty would be. A large penalty or disqualification would make "cheating" worthless.

Also, if its an hour or two penalty, yeah it might be worth it. But they why would teams want to follow the rules in other legs of the race. Teams would start calculating that if they cheat, they still might come out ahead.

My .02 worth of opinion is that Lori/Bolo likely make it through. I don't think that they would edit them with that much misery (stormy/cold) and them get eliminated. I'm rooting for Freddy/Kendra...only because I chose them to get eliminated. :)

A well timed mandatory airport flight with a long delay to board or some other. type of chokepoint might be a possibility. Remember that the producers want as many people to watch as they can, building up suspense. It's not very suspenseful when one team is so far behind the other teams that it's obvious that they will lose.

16. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    I'd disagree. I'd treat the two weeks, while technically a part of the same leg, as separate legs. I'd just score the first two questions as everyone was wrong essentially making it a wash. Some people might want to change their answers for who comes in first/last. But I'm not running the contest so do as you want I guess.

I'd just like to see some type of questions to help people gain days from me. :)

17. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    My vote is that this leg of the race isn't done yet, so the questions are still valid for next week as well. But, it makes no difference to me, as I'm not doing any significant travelling here in the next week and will be around to answer the questions in any case.

18. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    I'd disagree. I'd treat the two weeks, while technically a part of the same leg, as separate legs. I'd just score the first two questions as everyone was wrong essentially making it a wash.

Nope, not going to do that. The questions definately are specific to the leg of the race, not just the episode.

Some people might want to change their answers for who comes in first/last.

That does give me an idea though. I believe I will go ahead and have questions for this week. The standard questions will be different, but related. *evil grin*

19. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    I reiterate my vote and agree with a previous comment. The next episode is a continuation of this 6th leg of the race - no need for more questions. Please decide ASAP for folks who are traveling so that they can participate before they leave if you decide to have another set of questions.
    Thanks!

20. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    There will be questions posted tonight or tommorrow.

I'll post details in another thread.