Amazing Race Contest: LEG 7 QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Danny R, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Jan 6, 2005 #1 of 16
    Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    Question 1 (REQUIRED) : Which team finishes first in this leg?
    Answer correctly and no time will be added. Incorrect or no answer, add 1 day.

Jonathan & Victoria (42M/31F) Married Professionals
    Lori & Bolo (32F/38M) Wrestlers
    Rebecca & Adam (29F/27M) "Weird" Ex-Dating Couple
    Kris & Jon (30F/29M) Long Distance Daters
    Freddy & Kendra (35M/25F) Engaged Models
    Aaron & Hayden (25M/25F) Dating Models

-----------------------------

Question 2 (REQUIRED) : Which team comes in last place this week?
    Select one of the answers below. No time is added for correct answers, and one day will be added for incorrect.

Jonathan & Victoria (42M/31F) Married Professionals
    Lori & Bolo (32F/38M) Wrestlers
    Rebecca & Adam (29F/27M) "Weird" Ex-Dating Couple
    Kris & Jon (30F/29M) Long Distance Daters
    Freddy & Kendra (35M/25F) Engaged Models
    Aaron & Hayden (25M/25F) Dating Models

------------------------------

Question 3 : Which team-mates perform the Roadblock for this leg?
    Each correct selection loses you a day. Each incorrect adds a day. You may select as many or as few as you wish.

Jonathan
    Victoria (42M/31F) Married Professionals

Lori
    Bolo (32F/38M) Wrestlers

Rebecca
    Adam (29F/27M) "Weird" Ex-Dating Couple

Kris
    Jon (30F/29M) Long Distance Daters

Freddy
    Kendra (35M/25F) Engaged Models

Aaron
    Hayden (25M/25F) Dating Models

There is no Roadblock shown in this leg.

----------------------------

Question 4 YIELD (REQUIRED) : What is the time difference between the first place team and the last place team at the start of this leg?

Time: 01:07

---------------------------

DETOURS:

Detour 1: Aaron has a Superman tatoo on his arm. What is the most valuable comic book featuring Superman and how much is it worth?

Action Comics #1 is the right book. The value depends on condition, ranging from $50K for "good" condition to an estimated $350,000 for mint. Everyone who attempted this got credit since the values were within this range.

-----------------------------

Detour 2: The next episode also features helmet diving. What is the record depth for an open-sea diver using any free moving gear? (but not simulated or enclosed in a sub/bathyscope)

Mark Ellyatt's 313 meter dive is the depth listed as the record by all those who responded to this question, but this mark is actually WRONG for this question. This is the scuba diving record. However since all contestants gave the same answer, it doesn't matter.

The actual record is probably unknown as its held by navy divers. The deepest I've found thus far appears to be 350 meters and that was back in 1975.

Simulated dives in pressurized chambers have taken divers down to 685 meters.

------------------------------

Fast Forward: This is the second of four fast forwards! This week none
    of the questions above are required, so in the interest of speed, you can choose to answer as many or as few questions as you like in order to increase your Fast Forward chances. Missing questions will be graded as being wrong, but the fastest responder to the FastForward question wins the prize, a trip to 1st place!

Now on to the question: This past week we saw a staple of reality shows, the food challenge. In the next episode, another often used challenge will occur, where contestants stomp grapes to produce wine. Name as many reality shows, and list the season and episode, where grape stomping has been used in some form. Time plays a part for ties, but this Fast Forward is primarily judged on the number of entries discovered.

Marvin listed three shows and won the Fast Forward:

Joe Schmoe S2E2
    The Mole S2E9
    Marry My Dad S1 - Episode date 7/19/04

In addition to those, I discovered:
    Big Brother S2E11

The Simple Life planned such a stunt, but I don't believe Paris or Nicole took part so I don't know if it was aired.

and of course this coming episode of The Amazing Race.

--------------------------------------

PRIZE THIS SEASON IS A 20 GB APPLE IPOD.

THIS WEEKS RESULTS

ENTIRE CONTEST RESULTS THUS FAR

2. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    -1/2 hour warning! :p

3. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Not that it matters, but do you have links for the dives of 350m and 685m?

And nice job Mark on the near perfect score for the week. You and Marvin are my targets for time next week.

4. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
  5. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    In all of the significant depths in the first link, it indicates that they used a DDS or Deep Diving System. This system is described on this page. Basically it is a pressurized vassal that the divers can "live" in while they descend and ascend to prevent decompression issues. While the divers, once they reach the desired depth, are considered free moving, they are essentially in a sub acting as a pressure chamber initially.

The second link is essentially a 1-man sub, definitely not "free moving".

...not that any of this matters though.

6. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Guess you are right about the 1st link, but I disagree about the second. While very sublike, it is described as a "suit", and probably has better motion than what we saw last night.

In any case, this week's scores are now uploaded. Since the scoresheet was getting cumbersome, I've broken off just a small section for just this week's leg for the webpage only version.

7. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    I was SO hoping that Joanthan and Victoria came in last......can you imagine those poor kids (when they have them) listening to these SCREAMING parents?????

8. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    I was SO hoping that Joanthan and Victoria came in last

Yeah, I was actually cheering them on to further bad luck! ;)

Unfortunately Jonathan and Victoria messed up EVERY event, but still managed to hang in there. First they screw up by trying for the FF. Then they take a huge amount of time trying the detour. Finally they mess up at the grape-stomping as well. Unfortunately other teams had an equally bad day, or we would finally be rid of these horrible examples of human beings.

And what is with Jonathan blaming Victoria for not being first at the FF? They weren't even on the first flight to get to Corsica!

9. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    As much as I dislike Hayden and Aaron, I'm glad they got to use the (reportedly) last non-elimination (other then the final episode) instead of Jonathan and Victoria. If Jonathan and Victoria got it, then I'd be upset that they got a second chance.
    I'm hoping that Victoria's life threatening broken nail next week costs them the race

So far Kris and Jon are the only couple left that haven't had (or will have) a melt down or other issues. Hopefully this means something. Although they have been slipping the last few episodes.

Danny, looking over the spreadsheet, it appears that no one has been penalized for the pre-season poll guessing who wins. Have you not been scoring (or at least indicating) incorrect votes, or has it everyone just guessed lucky?

10. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    The only gripe that I have with how TAR is edited is that you can't judge relative times against two teams doing different tasks. Things could be edited out of order to make it look like one team is ahead of another. Kris and Jon I believe were slightly ahead of Victoria and Jonathan starting out the detour and it looked like they were finishing up coming down the wall about the same time the boat would be landing. It looked like Victoria and Jonathan took a very long time, but in reality I don't think they did. We also only see them find 2 TAR buoys, one of which was not the correct one. With a 1 in 25 chance, odds aren't too great that they get it on one of the first tries.

11. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    I thought that Phil said there were 25 buoys and 12 of them had clues.

12. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    So you are right, at least according to the CBS website. I must have heard wrong. In that case, I'd say that they had a good chance to finish fairly quickly assuming you could find the buoys.

13. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Danny, looking over the spreadsheet, it appears that no one has been penalized for the pre-season poll guessing who wins. Have you not been scoring (or at least indicating) incorrect votes, or has it everyone just guessed lucky?

Those playing the game have been lucky. Thus far only one of the picks in the pre-contest poll that were selected has been eliminated, and that was Gus/Hera selected by CoriBright and mattoshag. Both of them already opted out.

It will remain a secret which of the remaining players can benefit from this bonus poll. And of course if someone already opted out but selected the winner they also get a small bonus at the end of the game.

14. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    But will it remain a secret if someone doesn't opt out in time? That was basically what I was trying to ask.

15. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    But will it remain a secret if someone doesn't opt out in time? That was basically what I was trying to ask.

No, you'll definatley see a penalty.

16. Marvin

Marvin Godfather

Sep 13, 2003
    Man..I cant believe I got the fast forward. I knew Joe Schmoe and The Mole for sure..I went looking for more because I thought there would be more and all I could come up with was who wants to marry my dad?...but the way the Q was worded, I thought there were probably like 10 or 12...