Amazing Race Contest: LEG 7 QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Danny R, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This week's questions are now online!

Deadline to reply to the questions is noon (Eastern time) prior to the airing of the show (April 5th)

If you have not already read the rules, please do so now.

Click here when you are ready to begin. Your time will begin once you click the START button found on that page.

PLEASE NOTE: This is a timed question. Before pressing START, make certain you are prepared to spend a few minutes answering them. Time begins when you press START, and ends when you hit the SUBMIT button found on the page after.

Good Luck!!!

GRAND PRIZE THIS SEASON IS A $200 GIFT CERTIFICATE TO DISH DEPOT
    2nd Place prize is a $50 Gift Certificate to an online retailer of your choice.

2. Apr 4, 2005 #2 of 46
    Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    QUESTION 1: Which team comes in first for this leg of the race?Lose a day if correct. One day added for incorrect.
    Brian/Greg - brothers
    Lynn/Alex - boyfriends
    Meredith/Gretchen - grandparents
    Rob/Amber - engaged
    Ron/Kelly - dating
    Uchenna/Joyce - married

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    QUESTION 2: Which team comes in last place for this leg of the race?
    Lose a day if correct. One day added for incorrect.
    Brian/Greg - brothers
    Lynn/Alex - boyfriends
    Rob/Amber - engaged
    Ron/Kelly - dating
    Uchenna/Joyce - married

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    QUESTION 3: Which team members will take the roadblock for this leg?
    One day added for each member you incorrectly or fail to correctly select.
    Brian - brothers
    Greg - brothers
    Lynn - boyfriends
    Alex - boyfriends
    Meredith - grandparents
    Gretchen - grandparents
    Rob - engaged
    Amber - engaged
    Ron - dating
    Kelly - dating
    Uchenna - married
    Joyce - married
    There is no roadblock for this leg.

QUESTION 4: Which teams will be the first to arrive at the roadblock and detours?First is defined as the team pulling the clue from the box first. One day added for each incorrect and missing answer.
    Brian/Greg - brothers
    Lynn/Alex - boyfriends
    Rob/Amber - engaged
    Ron/Kelly - dating
    Uchenna/Joyce - married

Someone asked for clarification on how this is ruled. This will not be treated as two separate questions, but a cumulative result. If one team comes in first for the detour and another comes in first for the roadblock, the answer will both both those teams.

QUESTION 5: What is the time difference between the 1st and last team at the start of this leg?
    All but closest answer gains a day. Closest answer wins a Yield, and subtracts a day from their time. They also win the chance to yield another player, adding an additional day.

53 minutes

QUESTION 6: Will the 1st place finishers of this leg win an additional prize?Get the question right and lose a day. Wrong and gain a day.
    Yes - they win a trip
    Yes - they win cash
    Yes - they win something else
    No - they just have the satisfaction of coming in first
    No - there is no pitstop for this hour

DETOURS:
    Pick one of the following detours to answer. You may choose to not answer a detour if you wish and simple leave both blank. You will be graded against others who likewise choose that option. If you answer more than one, you will be graded only on the one that the majority of other players also pick, resulting in a possibly worse score.

DETOUR 1: Our teams begin driving through Africa and find all manner of animals. Of course, if I wanted to see a giraffe or elephant I'd need to go to a zoo. Which US zoo has the most elephants? Provide link.

DETOUR 2: Kelly, of the Ron/Kelly team, is not the only one in her family to succeed. What prestigeous school does her next younger brother attend?

PRE-CONTEST POLL OPTION
    I believe my candidate will be eliminated this leg and wish to opt out now.

The following questions apply only for the recap episode airing on Wednesday. They serve as bonus questions allowing folks to better their score.

QUESTION 7 - Recap episode: How many times do we hear the word "Survivor"?
    Closest answer loses two days. No penalty for others.

QUESTION 8 - Recrap episode: How many times do we hear the world "Iraq"?

QUESTION 9 - Recap episode: How many total clue boxes do we see in the recap episode?

Someone asked for clarification on how this will be scored. If the same cluebox is shown multiple times, it counts only once.

QUESTION 10 - Recap episode: How many times do we see a team reach a pit stop"?

Clarification on how I'll score: Simply running toward the pit stop won't count (as they haven't yet reached it). Otherwise no real requirements of seeing the mat, Phil or whatnot.

Results:
    THIS WEEKS RESULTS

CUMULATIVE RESULTS

3. Apr 4, 2005 #3 of 46
    cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Which is it, noon tomorrow or midnight tonight?

4. Apr 4, 2005 #4 of 46
    Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    D'oh!

Tommorrow noon.

5. Apr 4, 2005 #5 of 46
    Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Can you define "several"? I.e. will I need as much time doing the questions this week as I needed last week for the double leg, or are you just talking about a couple of additional questions?

6. Apr 4, 2005 #6 of 46
    Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Oh my god...well, everyone behind me is going to move up now...enjoy!

7. Apr 4, 2005 #7 of 46
    Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Too late of course for you, but the bonus questions are not all that complex. Probably just add a minute or two at most if you give them some serious thought. Just a few seconds if you give a quick top of the head answer.

They are the same sort of questions as a yield (but without the penalties), and only one person will likely get the bonus points for each one.

8. Apr 5, 2005 #8 of 46
    cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Oh come on now, they wern't that bad now were they?

9. Apr 5, 2005 #9 of 46
    Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    I want to see Danny's avitar and cdru's avitar in my hot tub.

(I'd need to get as hot tub, but....)

10. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    I think someone needs to take a cold shower.

11. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    FYI: I've been saving a pic of Amanda that I plan on using as my avatar this July.

12. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Yeah it's semantics, but did you mean "and" above, or "or"? The way it's worded, if I chose the wrong team, I would only add 1 day as I got the team wrong AND I missed a team. I'm presuming though that you meant to say "or", so that I would gain 2 days, 1 day for the incorrect and 1 day for the missing.

13. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    I'm presuming though that you meant to say "or", so that I would gain 2 days, 1 day for the incorrect and 1 day for the missing.

Ok, confused a bit by the semantics thing, but the double penatly above is the way it will be judged. If you check previous answers I've ruled the same way in the past.

If you want to avoid getting double penalized for having wrong answers, the solution is to not give anything but the answers you are sure of. Thus you only get penalized for missing the team.

14. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Any data before the show tonight?

15. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Nope, unfortunately I haven't had time to process it yet. I'll have it up before tommorrow's episode.

FYI: Monday was my 13th wedding anniversary, and I'm on vacation all week, so access has been limited.

16. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Sniff sob So much for NY spoiler being right sob sniff

17. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    No doubt...

"C'mon! Big Money! Big Money! No Whammie!"

Gonna miss them. :(

On the other hand, I'm kicking ass this week except for the detour. :D

18. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    "Road Ostrich!" "Road Cow!" "Road Elephant!" "Road Zebra!"

It appears that, for safety reasons, the pit stop lasted longer than 12 hours. I still like L&A and B&G dressing up (or down) for a possible non-elimination.

And, the only team that I'm rooting for now is Meredith and Gretchen.

19. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    FYI: I posted the raw data in the excel file above. I've not yet had time to finish grading. The zoo question is requiring some further research on my end.

I do agree however with one poster who noted that sanctuaries are not the same as zoos.

20. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    I really shot myself in the foot this week. It wouldn't have been so bad but that damn Preseason Poll penalty nailed me. Hopefully heathadiesel, markdl, CoriBright, and/or Capmeister chose Brian/Greg as well but I won't be so lucky. At least I'll gain 8 of those 10 days back tonight.