Amazing Race Contest: LEG 8 QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Danny R, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    Question 1 (REQUIRED) : Which team finishes first in this leg?
    Answer correctly and no time will be added. Incorrect or no answer, add 1 day.

Jonathan & Victoria (42M/31F) Married Professionals
    Lori & Bolo (32F/38M) Wrestlers
    Rebecca & Adam (29F/27M) "Weird" Ex-Dating Couple
    Kris & Jon (30F/29M) Long Distance Daters
    Freddy & Kendra (35M/25F) Engaged Models
    Aaron & Hayden (25M/25F) Dating Models

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question 2 (REQUIRED) : Which team comes in last place this week?
    Select one of the answers below. No time is added for correct answers, and one day will be added for incorrect.

Jonathan & Victoria (42M/31F) Married Professionals :icon_da:
    Rebecca & Adam (29F/27M) "Weird" Ex-Dating Couple

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question 3 : Which team-mates perform the Roadblock for this leg?
    Each correct selection loses you a day. Each incorrect adds a day. You may select as many or as few as you wish.

Jonathan
    Victoria (42M/31F) Married Professionals

Lori
    Bolo (32F/38M) Wrestlers

Rebecca
    Adam (29F/27M) "Weird" Ex-Dating Couple

Kris
    Jon (30F/29M) Long Distance Daters

Freddy
    Kendra (35M/25F) Engaged Models

Aaron
    Hayden (25M/25F) Dating Models

Question 4 YIELD (REQUIRED) : How much money is given to each contestant this week? (except for one) Closest answer wins the ability to YIELD another player and add a day to their time. They also
    lose a day from their score. If we see money but no amount is listed, the largest answer is right. If no money is seen, the lowest answer is correct.

$147

BONUS Question 5 (Required) : Which team(s) make a critical mistake during this leg of the race?
    For each team incorrectly or absent, you gain a day. Correct teams lose a day.
    A critical mistake is NOT just making a poor choice of detour, but is something that

Jonathan & Victoria (42M/31F) Married Professionals - made an ass of themselves, and only took one donkey. ;)
    Rebecca & Adam (29F/27M) "Weird" Ex-Dating Couple - Adam headed off to the monastery and nullified the Yield they used.

BONUS Question 6 (Required) : What position will Jonathan/Victoria finish this game? Correct answer loses two days. Incorrect gains two. This question will be graded as part of the Leg when its answer becomes known.

They win the thing. Heaven help us all. 1st place.
    We get to listen to Jonathan berate Victoria yet again for losing it. 2nd place.
    Unfortunately they last to the final episode. 3rd place.
    Wish they dropped earlier. 4th place.
    A shame they got this far. 5th place.
    Please end this misery now! 6th place. :joy:
    Impossible to determine.

DETOURS: A lack of time and excitement over the new series prompted these questions. ;)

Detour 1: Sorry, but real life had too much of a grip on me this week. Thus the questions aren't the usual fare and are pretty easy.
    Name all the Battlestars that were mentioned in the original Battlestar Galactica series and pilot. Names from other sources should not be used.

Galactica, Atlantia, Pegasus, Rycon, Columbia, Acropolis, Triton, Pacifica are the only names directly from the pilot or series. Other sources have other names, but I specifically asked for sources only from the aired episodes.

Detour 2: Name the 12 home worlds destroyed in the pilot of Battlestar Galactica (either version - these might differ so link your source)?

Spellings differ by source, but the planets are named for the 12 Zodiac signs: Caprica, Gemoni, Canceria, Piscon, Sagitara, Leo, Libra, Aquaria, Virgon, Aeriana, Taura, Scorpio Unfortunately they aren't EXACTLY the same so one person gets this wrong. (They didn't include a link either)

PRIZE THIS SEASON IS A 20 GB APPLE IPOD.

THIS WEEKS RESULTS

CUMULATIVE RESULTS

2. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Questions up now!

3. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Apparently I used radio buttons on Q5 and checkboxes on Q6. This should be the opposite.

If you want to change your answer for Q5 to select more than one team, or none at all, feel free to resubmit (or you can just send me a PM prior to the deadline). I won't look at anything but Q5 for a second entry and there will be no time penalty.

4. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    For those of us who haven't done it yet, are these fixed now?

5. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Yes.

6. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Danny
    Count this as my official end time. The page won't let me submit even though I have all my answers. I'll PM them to you right now.

7. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Meant to put a "please" in there but I was too stressed from trying to submit 4 times, clearing the results and reentering them, and trying again, while my 2 year old who's sick refuses to sleep and continues to scream and scream and scream...

8. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Not certain why you couldn't submit. Probably some temporary server error. But I got your answers.

9. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    'Twasn't server, it was JavaScript. For some reason it didn't think I filled in all the mandatory answers. My guess is it had something to do with the switching of Q5 and Q6 radio buttons/ checkboxes. If I get some time (highly unlikely today) and the page is still available, I'll try to look at it.

10. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Looks like it was Q5. Q5 is required (by wording and by javascript). My choice was none, which could only be accomplished by entering nothing, and that's what caused the error (although the error message wasn't changed to indicate that Q5 is required).

If you'd like, I can work on getting the JS to work w/requiring checkbox answers. I did some work on it for you last season, as you may recall, and could probably do so again, although not necessarily in time for the next set of questions.

PM me if you'd like me to, because I won't look at this thread again until after we've watched the show, which may or may not be tonight.

11. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    Well, they're gone, but I'm not so sure that I'm happy about it......surprising how the lead changed so many times.

12. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
  13. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Results and new questions will appear tommorrow sometime. My wife's uncle died (we have been expecting it for a few months now) and things are a bit hectic now.

14. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    So sorry to hear that! My condolences to you, your wife, and her family.

15. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Time check - comparing time of DBSTalk board to hform board so I can properly credit saulres's entry.

16. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    That is impressive turn around time to go from one season to another so quickly. I hope it doesn't detract from the race.

You planning on admining the contest next season again Danny? If so, you looking for suggestions?

17. Tusk

Tusk Back in the Game DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 14, 2002
    Should I lull everyone into a false sense of security for one more week? :up_to_som :lol:

18. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Answers are now up.

Don't know about next season yet... but suggest away.

19. Ric

Ric Godfather DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 26, 2002
    WOO HOO!! Out of the cellar and I only need to pick up 17 days to catch #1 :)

20. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    If you are joking, definitely. Keep it up. You are doing a great job of looking like a non-threat. I'd hold off on making that move at least 2 weeks, maybe even 3. I also keep up the good work on the detours. That helps provide that false sense as well. Also pray that no one senses you as a threat as they might yield you :)

If you aren't joking, you really are still in it as well as anyone else that is actively participating. We have two more weeks of regular episodes, plus the 2 hour-2 leg final, so that's 4 more legs of questions (assuming Danny does the same as he did last year). Get lucky on a few questions or nail the fast forward and you can "win a trip to the Caribbean that you can enjoy after the race" some week.

Looking at the questions, I was kind of surprised that no one got a single team right. I would have thought that sheer dumb luck would have gotten at least 1 team right. Oh well. Worked out better the way that it did anyways.