Amazing Race Contest: LEG 9 QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Danny R, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    Question 1 (REQUIRED) : Which team finishes first in leg 1?Answer correctly and no time will be added. Incorrect or no answer, add 1 day.

Lori & Bolo (32F/38M) Wrestlers
    Rebecca & Adam (29F/27M) "Weird" Ex-Dating Couple
    Kris & Jon (30F/29M) Long Distance Daters
    Freddy & Kendra (35M/25F) Engaged Models
    Aaron & Hayden (25M/25F) Dating Models

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question 2 (REQUIRED) : Which team comes in last place this week?
    Select one of the answers below. No time is added for correct answers, and one day will be added for incorrect.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question 3 : Which partner of each team chooses to do the Roadblock for this leg?
    You lose a day for each correct person you have checked and gain a day for each incorrect person you have checked.
    You may check as many or as few as you wish.

Lori
    Bolo (32F/38M) Wrestlers

Rebecca
    Adam (29F/27M) "Weird" Ex-Dating Couple

Kris
    Jon (30F/29M) Long Distance Daters

Freddy
    Kendra (35M/25F) Engaged Models

Aaron
    Hayden (25M/25F) Dating Models

Question 4 YIELD (REQUIRED) : What is the time difference between the first and last team as they start this leg?
    Closest answer wins the YIELD and may add a day to another contestants time and they lose a day from their own time.
    If no times are shown, the person with the highest guess wins the prize.

Time: 1hr 16 min.

Question 5 (BONUS) : There is apparently one more non-elimination leg remaining. Which team has the "honor" of being the team that survives due to this. Get this question correct and you will lose a day, incorrect and gain a day. This question will be scored as part of the
    leg for which the answer is revealed.

NOT YET REVEALED

Question 6 (BONUS) : Our teams next venture into areas that would shortly afterward be hit by the tsunami. Is there any mention of the tsunami during this episode of The Amazing Race? Get this question correct and you will lose a day, incorrect and gain a day.
    Yes - mention is made within the show in a seamless fashion
    Yes - mention is made during show in an obviously added clip (this can be post credit dialog/etc, but NOT a commercial)
    No - no mention of the tsunami is made

Detour 1: I believe the teams visit Sri Lanka this week, home of a very famous science fiction author. (If you discover more than one such author living there, use either) Rank your top 5 favorite books by this author and the year which they were published. (and if you have no favorites, or haven't read anything, name 5 books by this author that reached the NY Times best seller's list, year of publication - and promise to read them!

The man in question is Arthur C. Clarke. Check the results for a list of books chosen.

Detour 2: The tsunami disaster has a very high death toll, but its not the worst disaster thats ever happened. What is the worst natural disaster you can discover that has happened anywhere in the world and the associated estimated death toll? Include link to source as well. Persons with higher casualty counts will be graded as faster than those with lower counts.

cdru got clever and mentioned the KT Event that occurred 65 million years ago, eliminating 70% of the life on earth. Nice big event... 0 human deaths however.

Good thing you gave a second answer. ;)

#1 - 1917 Flu Epidemic, killing an estimated 20 million.
    #2 - 1931 Chinese flood - 3 million
    #3 - 1201 Mediteranean earthquake - 1.1 million
    #4 - 1887 Chinese flood - 900K - 1 million

PRIZE THIS SEASON IS A 20 GB APPLE IPOD.

THIS WEEKS RESULTS

CUMULATIVE RESULTS

2. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    ~6 hours till the deadline!

3. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    God I hate the bunch up points. It seems like there is a bunch up point after every single task. There's even bunch up points immediately following bunch up points. Argh.

4. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    Agreed.....Adam and Rebecca should have been eliminated.

5. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Any idea when scores will be posted Danny?

6. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Tonight sometime. Sorry, real life has intruded a bit too much of late.

7. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Ok, tommorrow morning. Darn but I am having way too many computer troubles at home. :(

8. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Do you want the computer I won last season back? :D

9. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Nah, its not the computer but my darn DSL. I've been down since last friday, and *KNOW* its the fault of the phone company and not anything on my end, but they just won't listen. My modem detects the network is up, but data just isn't going up or down.

I have a really nice Netgear combo wireless/router/DSL modem, but of course its not one of Bellsouth's supported modems so they won't even listen to me when I describe the problem.

Thus I had to reinstall their crappy PCI internal modem before they would push me further up the troubleshooting line, and of course I had the same symptoms, because it wasn't the modem at fault. But their rep insisted on sending out a brand new modem since this was several years old.

Finally got that yesterday, and spend a good 3 hours doing all the same stupid checks over again (reboot computer, reboot modem, change login password, etc) before they finally admitted the error could possibly be on their side of the system. They still haven't fixed it yet though.

So anyway my home connection has been through a nice and slow 28K modem the past few days...

10. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Results are up.

11. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Whoa! I jumped into first? How did that happen? Dammit! Now I'm a target...

Let me remind you all that I've already invoked my pre-game points, so I don't have those coming anymore, while other do. And my team's still in there :( If they actually win, I'm going to be really bummed that I bailed on them...

12. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Hm, that actually brings up a question. This week I tried to yield the leader. If someone does that and winds up in first place, do they wind up yielding themselves?

13. Tusk

Tusk Back in the Game DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 14, 2002
    Guinness sucks. They listed the worst earthquake as 830,000 and the worst flood as 900,000. I guess they don't know everything when it comes to world records.

14. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Hm, that actually brings up a question. This week I tried to yield the leader. If someone does that and winds up in first place, do they wind up yielding themselves?

Someone else asked this before earlier in the game. The answer is a definite yes ;)

Guinness sucks. They listed the worst earthquake as 830,000 and the worst flood as 900,000. I guess they don't know everything when it comes to world records.

I noticed that. My guess is that the death tolls couldn't be confirmed for the others, so they weren't listed.