Amazing Race Contest: LEG 9 QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Danny R, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This week's questions are now online!

Deadline to reply to the questions is noon (Eastern time) prior to the airing of the show (April 26th)

If you have not already read the rules, please do so now.

Click here when you are ready to begin. Your time will begin once you click the START button found on that page.

PLEASE NOTE: This is a timed question. Before pressing START, make certain you are prepared to spend a few minutes answering them. Time begins when you press START, and ends when you hit the FINISH button found on the page after.

Good Luck!!!

GRAND PRIZE THIS SEASON IS A $200 GIFT CERTIFICATE TO DISH DEPOT
    2nd Place prize is a $50 Gift Certificate to an online retailer of your choice.

Results:
    THIS WEEKS RESULTS

CUMULATIVE RESULTS

2. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Danny - I didn't get a confirmation email with my answers. I did get the one indicating my start time, though. Would you please check...it may be the way that I chose to answer the questions this week.

3. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    I didn't get one either Mark.

4. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    I didn't get one either. Figured it was a glitch and I didn't worry. At this point, it's pretty obvious I either will win, or won't win--so I don't worry. :D

5. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    OK, glad it's not just me. I wasn't too concerned, but you never know.

6. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Yup, just checked and I forgot to enable the email response. Sorry about that.

Just under 3 hours till deadline.

7. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    I need a fricking miracle to finish this season in the top 10...:(

8. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    :( 'tis my fault. In my mind, I kept yeilding you.

:(

9. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    I'm taking you out this time, cdru! :D Danny's made the questions a lot more random this time, with the "who opens the envelope" type questions. Those are just about pure guesswork, and with the scoring penalty for both wrong answers and no answers, they're brutal.

10. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Yeah yeah yeah. I'm letting someone else have the chance to win. The $200 gift certificate really wouldn't be much use to me as they don't have anything that I'm really looking for. The $50 is more attractive as it can be used anywere (or at least that is the way it sounds). This is my "rebuilding" season. Yeah. That's it.

Let this serve as a public notice that yielding me or wishing me to do poorly would be wasting your effort. I'm doing that well enough on my own. I don't need any additional help. I formally request that you yield Mark L...that's markdl in the contest. If I can't win, he shouldn't either. :)

Seriously though (actually...I was serious in the above paragraph as well), I don't know what my problem is this season. Choosing B/G obviously hurt, but my times have been slacking. I guess that is what I get for entering on my free time as oppose to when I'm on the clock at work. Not really sure how that works. :confused:

Danny, do you care to comment on how you see the final episode questions are going to play out? With the change in the bonus this season, I was hoping that you'd give the opportunity to gain (or lose) some serious points...you know...to give us people who suck a chance. :)

11. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Yup, the final week will definately have a LOT of points up for grabs.

As you can tell from this season, I've been playing around with new types of questions. You will probably see everything and the kitchen sink thrown at you for the final two hour episode, giving it the value of probably 5 "normal" episodes.

12. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    So in other words I still could put Mark in his place? Sweet...

The only thing that I'd like would be that the questions aren't pure random guesses, but they aren't obviously spoilable either. Of course that's easier said then done.

13. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Actually I think the "who pulls the tag" isn't as random as it seems, especially at this point in the game. Some of the team members always seem to reach for it, even if the other member got to the box first. Alpha personalities.

FYI: I think I will be rescoring last week's question, taking into account that some teams aren't shown opening the clue. I'll post more details once I score this weeks.

14. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Bring it on, buddy... You ain't winning 3 times in a row! :lol:

15. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Is the data, either in final, preminary, or raw form going to get posted soon?

16. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Hopefully today for both last week's answers and next week's questions... work has been unbelievably busy the past few days due to multiple problems springing up at once.

17. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Grrr... just got home. Work's been a beast this week. I've got the scores halfway graded, and just need to review the tape for one question before posting final.

FYI:

All answers for D1 were correct.

Only one person got D2 correct. The rest of you gave the price for another book (a 22 volume set for his other work, when I specifically mentioned a 5 volume one)

Two people attempted the fast forward, cdru and Mark Lamutt. cdru was incredibly slow though finding it. Luckily he's the one above who was the only correct detour answer, saving him from a huge time loss.

The Travelocity mascot is the gnome of course. The fastest way to find it is to do an advanced forum search for my posts. If you want to narrow it down, you can look for posts started by me. This of course would be risky, as I might not have hidden it in such a thread, but in this case, you would luck out, as that only gives 6 pages of results and it is in fact hidden in a thread I started.

Posts with an image attached have a paperclip icon next to them in the search, further reducing the results to just a few per page. (Mark used this to help find it and told me about it). Knowing this, one can find the gnome in about a minute.

18. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    In case anyone was wondering why I sucked at finding it, I was searching my post, not by thread. By post doesn't show the attachment icon and I didn't think about going by thread.

I knew the attachment id was 3225 as I just pulled up a recent attachment and manually incremented the id # until I found the gnome. I didn't know exactly what it would look like, but I was guessing it was the gnome that had been on the TAR's website.

Once I had the attachment id, I could then look for posts that had that id in it. The search feature on this site doesn't search that type of information, so I had to do it manually. So I got a list of pretty much every post Danny had made through several different advanced searches, adjusting the date and sorting method.

After getting that list, it was fairly trivial to write a script that used wget to pull the post. Then it was just as simple as looking through the HTML text for 3225. The part that really sucked is that out of 3300 posts you've made Danny, I had to pull down 2776 of them to find it. I started at the most recent post working backwards. If I would have started at the oldest post working newer, I would have found it after about 400 posts. It sill would have been too long though.

Oh well. At least while it was doing all it's searching I had plenty of time to look for detour 2 and ended up getting it. Woohoo. There were actually a bunch of books by him and looking by his full name, I didn't find it. I think I found it just looking for Rumi or something like that. Even then, I didn't know if it was the right one. I had no idea what his 4 most famous works were.

If your not going to get the results up real soon, what where the numbers that went for each of the detours? Did I get a bonus?

19. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Results are now up on the website. Will attach excel spreadsheet and add links above once I finish this post.

Regarding last week's roadblock pullers. I decided to leave the scoring as is. While in the case of several of them we don't see who pulls it, we do see who is holding the strip and clue, and that corresponds with who pulled out the clue in the first place.

THIS week however I was completely unable to determine between Meredith and Gretchen. Both are holding sections of the clue when its read and we don't see who pulls it either.

20. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Danny - could you post the questions from Week 9? I never got a chance to read what they were.