Amazing Race Contest: WEEK 10 QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Amazing Race Coordinator, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Sep 1, 2004 #1 of 16
    Amazing Race Coordinator

Amazing Race Coordinator Mentor

Jun 17, 2004
    This week's questions are now online!

Deadline to reply to the questions is midnight prior to the airing of the show (Eastern time).

Click here when you are ready to begin. Your time will begin once you click the START button found on that page.

PLEASE NOTE: If you request these questions on Saturday, 1 minute will be added to your response time (the time between START and Submission, not your overall race clock). Sunday will add ten minutes. Monday will add thirty minutes. Again these times are Eastern.

2. Sep 3, 2004 #2 of 16
    rjenkins

rjenkins Legend

Jul 18, 2002
    I'm currently getting a 404 on that link.

3. Sep 3, 2004 #3 of 16
    Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    Problem appears to be fixed.

I'm still waiving the Saturday time penalty as well. Sunday is now penalized 1 minute, monday 10.

4. Sep 7, 2004 #4 of 16
    Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    FYI: The results may be delayed (depending on if I have time to compile them or not) due to a large amount of work hitting my desk this morning.

Darn but folks don't come in during the holiday and then fuss because I'm not here. :(

5. Sep 8, 2004 #5 of 16
    Amazing Race Coordinator

Jun 17, 2004
    Question 1 (REQUIRED) : Which team finishes first in week 10?
    Answer correctly and no time will be added. Incorrect or no answer, add 1 day.

Colin/Christie - dating *again*
    Brandon/Nicole - dating
    Chip/Kim - married parents
    Linda/Karen - best friends
    Kami/Karli - twins

------------------

Question 2 (REQUIRED) : Which team comes in last place this week?
    Select one of the answers below. No time is added for correct answers, and one day will be added for incorrect.

Colin/Christie - dating
    Brandon/Nicole - dating
    Kami/Karli - twins

-------------------

Question 3 (REQUIRED) : During most legs, there is a Detour where the teams have to choose between one route or another. Which teams will participate in a Detour route that the majority of other teams also choose?
    In other words, select which teams you think make up the majority for whatever Detour is chosen.
    You may select as many or as few as you wish.
    Correct answers will be the teams which actually participate in the the majority route.

Scoring:
    Each team you correctly select loses you a day
    Each team you incorrectly select gains you a day
    There is no penalty for not selecting a team which turns out to be part of the majority. You may select as many
    or as few teams as you wish.

With five teams, its unlikely there will be a tie unless another Fast Forward appears or a team drops out, but if so you will be scored based on which teams give you the most favorable score.

Three teams chose rafting, the other two chose wallowing in the mud.

Colin/Christie - dating
    Brandon/Nicole - dating
    Kami/Karli - twins

-----------------

Question 4 YIELD (REQUIRED) : How many positions will the first place team fall during this leg of the race?
    Person(s) with the closest guess has a day subtracted from his time, and also gets the option to yield another contestant (add a day to his/her time). Person(s) with the furthest answer or those who don't answer are also
    penalized 1 day. Remember that a Yield can only be used once for the entire contest, but you can receive as many yields as are given.

None. First place team remains in first.
    One. First place team drops to second.
    Two. First place team drops to third.
    Three. First place team drops to fourth.
    Four. First place team drops to fifth.

Four people answered the question correctly and could have used a Yield. Marvin is the only one to do so however and chose saulres. Three folks chose two places, putting them the furthest away and automatically yielding themselves.

-------------------

Scavenger Hunt:
    For the next three questions (two detours and a fast forward), choose between them and pick only ONE to answer. You can use the Fast Forward only once over the entire contest. If however you attempt it and are not successful your first time, you can attempt it again later. Make certain the subject line of your email reflects your choice. If you get the answers correct, your time will be determined by how quickly compared to other
    contestants you are able to mail the answers in. A wrong answer will be scored as worse than any correct answers with better time. ANSWER ONLY ONE!

-------------------

Detour 1: This week the contestants travel to New Zealand, home of Middle Earth. How many Oscars did Jackson's The Lord of the Rings trilogy win, and list them by film.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - 2001 (74th) = 4 Oscars

* CINEMATOGRAPHY -- Andrew Lesnie
    * MAKEUP -- Peter Owen, Richard Taylor
    * MUSIC (Original Score) -- Howard Shore
    * VISUAL EFFECTS -- Jim Rygiel, Randall William Cook, Richard Taylor, Mark Stetson

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - 2002 (75th) = 2 Oscars
    * SOUND EDITING -- Ethan Van der Ryn, Michael Hopkins
    * VISUAL EFFECTS -- Jim Rygiel, Joe Letteri, Randall William Cook, Alex Funke

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - 2003 (76th) = 11 Oscars
    * ART DIRECTION -- Art Direction: Grant Major; Set Decoration: Dan Hennah and Alan Lee
    * COSTUME DESIGN -- Ngila Dickson and Richard Taylor
    * DIRECTING -- Peter Jackson
    * FILM EDITING -- Jamie Selkirk
    * MAKEUP -- Richard Taylor and Peter King
    * MUSIC (Original Score) -- Howard Shore
    * MUSIC (Original Song) -- "Into the West," Music and Lyric by Fran Walsh and Howard Shore and Annie Lennox
    * BEST PICTURE -- Barrie M. Osborne, Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh, Producers
    * SOUND MIXING -- Christopher Boyes, Michael Semanick, Michael Hedges and Hammond Peek
    * VISUAL EFFECTS -- Jim Rygiel, Joe Letteri, Randall William Cook and Alex Funke
    * WRITING (Adapted Screenplay) -- Screenplay by Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens & Peter Jackson

A grand total of 17

Three people attempted this, two got it right. JBKing, you apparently forgot Makeup as you only listed 10 Oscars for RotK and thus got this question wrong.

------------------

Detour 2: Who holds the distance record for this New Zealand sport, and what is the distance traveled?

[​IMG]

short mpeg movie 1.5 meg in size if you wish to view it.

Four people attempted this detour, all of them getting it right.

The sport is Zorbing, and is featured in tonight's episode.

Record Holder:Rich Eley Distance: 323 m

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/gwr5/content_pages/record.asp?recordid=53027

------------------

Fast Forward: In season order, what are the names of the first team eliminated in each season of The Amazing Race?
    Remember that there will NOT be a Fast Forward offered for the last episode's questions.

Season 1: Matt and Ana
    Season 2: Deidre and Hillary
    Season 3: Gina and Sylvia
    Season 4: Debra and Steve
    Season 5: Dennis and Erika

Four people attempted the fast forward, and three people got it right.

Marvin, you must be anxious for Gilmore Girls to start up, because while Debra and Steve look somewhat like Sookie and Jackson, those aren't names that will win the the prize. Likewise your S3 answer was incorrect.

--------------

The scoresheet will be posted tommorrow with updated scores.

6. Sep 8, 2004 #6 of 16
    cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    I'm surprised that the zorbing record is only 323m. I would have thought that finding a suitable hill with a run of greater then ~1/5 of a mile would be simple. I know Indiana Dunes State Park have hills with runs longer then 1/5 of a mile that I've been sledding down. Is there some other requirement that makes zorbing...zorbing and not just rolling down a hill in a inflatable hamster ball?

7. Sep 8, 2004 #7 of 16
    Amazing Race Coordinator

Jun 17, 2004
    Score sheet attached.

1 cdru 16
    2 Mark Lamutt (FF) 16
    3 Tstorms 17
    4 JBKing 21
    5 Tusk 27
    6 saulres 29
    7 rjenkins 32
    8 Buzzdalf 33
    9 CoriBright 35
    10 Unthinkable 39
    11 bgilmore 43
    12 Marvin 50
    13 lowjeep 60
    14 mwgiii 65

8. Sep 8, 2004 #8 of 16
    JBKing

JBKing Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Makeup? :up_to_som Like that should count!

9. Sep 8, 2004 #9 of 16
    Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    I wasn't really planning on starting hard for the FF until this week, but I had to jump on that question as I knew the website with the answer off the top of my head. Didn't even have to google it.

So, I guess we'll find out here soon enough if it was too early to take it or not. My guess is that it will be. Just have to make sure to win the rest of the yields to keep myself safe! :)

10. CoriBright

CoriBright Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

May 30, 2002
    How many times can one person yield another? Isn't there a limit? bgilmore appears to have yielded me at least twice. (sob!)

11. Amazing Race Coordinator

Jun 17, 2004
    A person can only use a yield only once. He might have selected you for a yield, but it wouldn't have taken effect the second time. (If you see an error in the spreadsheet let me know)

12. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Marvin, Marvin, Marvin. What did I ever do to you? Cori hitting me I'd understand, but you?

Ah well. Do what you must. But keep looking over your shoulder -- on the show, they can only yield someone behind them...

13. CoriBright

May 30, 2002
    Week 10 and week 8..... I appear to have been yielded both times by the same person!

Thanks

14. CoriBright

May 30, 2002
    THWACK..... will that do instead?!

15. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    You can only yield someone successfully once. In both instances that you have been yeilded, the yielder answered the question incorrectly, so the yield was not enforced.

16. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    See? That, I understand!

I'm nothing if not consistent :D