Amazing Race Contest: WEEK 11 QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Amazing Race Coordinator, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Sep 8, 2004 #1 of 27
    Amazing Race Coordinator

Amazing Race Coordinator Mentor

Jun 17, 2004
    This week's questions are now online!

Deadline to reply to the questions is midnight prior to the airing of the show (Eastern time).

Click here when you are ready to begin. Your time will begin once you click the START button found on that page.

If your pictures don't immediately load, just try refreshing the page. The server the images are on is running slowly

2. Sep 9, 2004 #2 of 27
    saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Actually, the Jewish Holiday is next week. Starts Wednesday night the 15th at sundown (in whatever time zone you're in) and runs through Friday night. That, of course, bumps it right into Shabbat.

Does anyone know when the finale will air? One theory is that next week they bump it down to 3 teams, and then there's only one more 2-hour episode with the non-elmination round ending the first hour and 3 teams vying for 1st place. In the past, the 2-hour episodes have been on Sundays. If that's the case, then there's no point in yielding me, because I won't be able to play during the last week (see the holiday schedule above) until Saturday night, which might not be an acceptable time for Danny to allow the polls to remain open until.

3. Sep 9, 2004 #3 of 27
    JBKing

JBKing Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Tusk, I'm in 4th, you're in 5th. I don't believe you have used your yield yet, as I have not. PM me if you want to form an alliance to improve our chances! :up_to_som

4. Sep 9, 2004 #4 of 27
    Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    Actually, the Jewish Holiday is next week.

*shrug* oh well. No penalties next week then either I guess.

The finale week will have more than usual number of questions as well, since I believe it incorporates two separate legs of the race.

5. Sep 9, 2004 #5 of 27
    Amazing Race Coordinator

Jun 17, 2004
    Questions online

6. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    I absolutely love the first two choices for the 3rd question. Truer words were never written.

7. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Yup, sorry I can't credit anyone if they spent some time laughing at that instead of answering the question. ;)

8. TStorms

TStorms Mentor

Sep 16, 2003
    Did this thread say at one time that there would be no penalties this week either? It still reads no penalties for next week. I'm trying to plan out my evening tonight. ;)

Thanks,
    TStorms

9. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Yeah, no penalties this or the next (probably final) week.

From what I've seen, I probably won't even use them next contest. The spoiler sites have already posted the long term information, and weekly info is all based on the previews given at the end of each episode, with no new info provided during the week.

(The website pages might still reflect the time penalty, but ignore it.)

10. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    TV Guide's got next week's episode listed as the 2-hour finale. If you didn't win the FF yet, looks like you're out of luck. Me included, I think :(

11. TStorms

TStorms Mentor

Sep 16, 2003
    Anyone find the answers to the Auckland Bridge question? I looked for hours and never could find the Deputy Chairman. So frustrating!!! :(

Enjoy the show tonight. I'll be watching it on tape later this week.

TStorms

12. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
  13. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    What happens if we never get down to a final 3 teams? Week 7 has a yet-to-be-scored question where we had to choose who the final 3 teams were. If all 4 teams compete until the finish line, the question really doesn't seem valid.

14. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    If that happens (doubtful as first part of the finale should feature an elimination round) then the first 3 teams to cross the finish line at the end of the race are the final three.

15. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Just to play Devil's Advocate: We've seen two previous editions where the first team to cross the finish line did so before one other team got to a flag. There, they were notified about the winning team, and therefore they didn't cross the finish line. So, what if that happens again, and more than one team doesn't cross the finish line?

16. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Then I slap you for making my life difficult. ;)

If its ambiguous, then I'll give credit for all four teams being the "final three"

17. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    I'm hoping for this case...since it will give me the most help with my FF.

18. Amazing Race Coordinator

Jun 17, 2004
    Question 1 (REQUIRED) : Which team finishes first in week 10?
    Answer correctly and no time will be added. Incorrect or no answer, add 1 day.

Colin/Christie - dating
    Brandon/Nicole - dating
    Chip/Kim - married parents
    Linda/Karen - best friends

----------------------

Question 2 (REQUIRED) : Which team comes in last place this week?
    Select one of the answers below. No time is added for correct answers, and one day will be added for incorrect.

Colin/Christie - dating
    Brandon/Nicole - dating
    Chip/Kim - married parents
    Linda/Karen - best friends

----------------------

Question 3 (REQUIRED) : Pick which people perform the roadblock.
    You may select as many or as few as you wish. For each correctly selected person, you lose a day. For each person you do NOT have selected or have selected that doesn't actually perform the roadblock you gain a day.

Colin - *******
    Christie - future abused spouse
    Brandon - dating model
    Nicole - dating model
    Chip - married parent
    Kim - married parent
    Linda - one of the bowling moms
    Karen - one of the bowling moms

Nice way to hedge your bet Mark. ;) He selected both Linda and Karen.

---------------

Question 4 YIELD (REQUIRED) : Colin and Christie, despite their constant arguments, retain 1st place yet again.
    Will they "self destruct"? Thus the same question as last week, how many positions will the first place team fall during this leg of the race?Person(s) with the closest guess has a day subtracted from his time, and also gets the option to yield another contestant (add a day to his/her time). Person(s) with the furthest answer or those who don't answer are also penalized 1 day. Remember that a Yield can only be used once for the entire contest, but you can receive as many yields as are given.

None. First place team remains in first.
    One. First place team drops to second.
    Two. First place team drops to third.
    Three. First place team drops to fourth.

-------------------

Scavenger Hunt:
    For the next three questions (two detours and a fast forward), choose between them and pick only ONE to answer. You can use the Fast Forward only once over the entire contest. If however you attempt it and are not successful your first time, you can attempt it again later. Make certain the subject line of your email reflects your choice. If you get the answers correct, your time will be determined by how quickly compared to other
    contestants you are able to mail the answers in. A wrong answer will be scored as worse than any correct answers with better time. ANSWER ONLY ONE!

----------------------

Detour 1: This week the contestants travel to the Philippines.
    Exactly how many islands make up the Philippines?

One source is this official government website: http://www.gov.ph/aboutphil/default.asp

I know some sites give an ~3K number. That number however counts only named islands and also pre-dates satellite imagery (I found the same number in a 1911 source). The majority of islands are less than a square mile in size.

CoriBright, I'm betting you had a typo in your entry as you gave me 7017. Sorry, but have to mark it wrong.

------------------

Detour 2: New Zealanders like their crazy sports. Our teams this week climb the Auckland Bridge.

When was this bridge first opened, who designed it, and what are the names of the Chairman and Deputy Chairman of the Auckland Harbour Bridge Authority at that time?

[​IMG]

Date opened: May 30, 1959
    Designer: Freeman-Fox, specifically Gilbert Roberts

Chairman: Sir John Allum
    Deputy-Chairman: J.B. Stevenson

The Chairman and Deputy-Chairman can be found on the bridge's plaque:
    [​IMG]

------------------

Fast Forward: The Amazing Race's host has been to New Zealand before. What is the current rate for a child to experience the same thing Phil is doing here? Obviously you want to include a photo.

[​IMG]
    The experience is a jetboat ride on the Shotover River in New Zealand.

$64 includes a photo.

Two of you answered this, but also gave old information. I'm betting you found this brochure. However you neglected to go to the company's website (listed at the bottom of the brochure) and find the current rates.

http://www.shotoverjet.com/main/rates.htm

---

I'm pretty certain that the question from week 8 regarding non-elimination rounds is now completed. Scoresheet reflects this.

19. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Dammit! You're telling me that if I had scrolled down from what looked like a very legitimate page, I would've won the FF this week? Dammit, dammit, dammit!!!!

20. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Wow...I had no idea that there would be that much of a swing...and no more FF's. Looks like I have to win the Yield this week as everyone's going to be gunning for me.

So, what are the prizes again?