Amazing Race Contest: WEEK 12 QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Amazing Race Coordinator, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Amazing Race Coordinator

Amazing Race Coordinator Mentor

Jun 17, 2004
    FINAL WEEK.

The questions will appear in this spot probably sometime tonight. But there may be a delay. At the lastest they will appear by noon tommorrow.

As mentioned previously, there is no standard FF this round that will jump you into a tie with 1st place.

There will however be a LOT of time up for grabs, with extra questions added for this final week. While I'm not certain I can say its still anybody's game, most of you will still have a shot at winning, although it might require the bad fortunes of those ahead of you.

For one thing, a new feature this week (and a standard fare for the next contest) is a roadblock question. Get this right, its treated much as any other question and you don't gain time. Get it wrong however, and the person immediately behind you will receive a bonus time amount that in effect catches them up to your prior leg's score. (thus this week's questions are still relevant). This will be a scavenger hunt type of question. You can choose to answer it or ignore it.

This week's questions will also be comprised of two separate webpages full of questions, and will be graded as if they were two separate weeks, representing the two separate legs found in the finale. Time for the first page begins normally, when you hit start. Time for the second page begins when you submit the first page's answers. Thus allow adequate time before hitting start to answer the questions.

There will be no time penalties this week for starting late.

2. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    If we choose to ignore it, is it considered a wrong answer?

And here's to the misfortune of everyone behind me! :goodjob: !Devil_lol :lol:

3. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Will the bonus time be added before or after the net time from the other weekly questions is added?

4. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    Not answering is treated the same way as getting it wrong. However this question won't have any time penalty applied directly to you so its harmful effects are indirect. By ignoring it you basically are automatically giving the person behind you a free ride and tieing up their score with what you had the previous week.

Doesn't hurt you directly, but definately helps those of lower score.

The actual bonus time is based on the PRIOR WEEK's scores and positions. Note however that these positions may still change based on the Final 3 vote thats still pending.

Basically if you miss the question, the bonus applied to the person below you will be equal to his previous week's score minus your previous week's score.

So for example, if Mark misses the question next week, TStorms will get a -2 bonus on his score for that question. (15 - 17= -2)

The effect cascades as well. So if Buzzdalf doesn't answer the questions again this week, bgilmore will get a bonus. And if rjenkins also misses the question, both Buzzdalf and bgilmore's scores will be tied up not counting the current week's scores.

Thus in effect if EVERYONE misses the questions, we have a 14 way tie which will be broken only by the final week's scores.

5. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    This final week's spreadsheet is going to be like the Florida Elections...it will take a month to figure it out...

Good luck everyone...and don't forget to yield Mark if you haven't already.

6. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    This final week's spreadsheet is going to be like the Florida Elections...it will take a month to figure it out...

It seems pretty obvious to me how to do it, but I guess thats good since I'm the one who is scoring things. ;)

Good luck everyone...and don't forget to yield Mark if you haven't already.

BTW, next season the yield will be changing too. It will be worth more points, since it will definately be limited to just one person each week. However it will also be a scavenger hunt sort of question. To use the yield, you can answer the question and specify someone to yield. To avoid a yield, you have to answer the question faster (in effect reaching the yield before the person behind you). To save time on the detour questions, one can not answer the yield question, but then of course you will automatically accept any yields sent your way.

7. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Grrrr... I'm having off and on internet problems at work. Final questions will be delayed as a result. I WILL have them up sometime today.

8. Amazing Race Coordinator

Amazing Race Coordinator Mentor

Jun 17, 2004
    This week's questions are now online!

Deadline to reply to the questions is midnight prior to the airing of the show (Eastern time).

Click here when you are ready to begin. Your time will begin once you click the START button found on that page.

Please note that there are TWO subsequent pages of questions after you hit start. Once you finish the first page, your time starts over for the second and immediately begins.

9. rjenkins

rjenkins Legend

Jul 18, 2002
    Danny,

On the second page, (and maybe the first?) you can't choose 'There is no yield for this leg of the race' for both the yield questions. Choosing it on the second unchooses it for the first, etc.

10. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Fixed. Had the same variable name as the previous question on that particular entry. Let me know if you need to change your answer for that question.

11. CoriBright

CoriBright Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

May 30, 2002
    I'm now exhausted... I actually feel like I've been round the world! I'm almost glad the start of S6 has been delayed! I need time to recover.

12. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Yeah, this week's questions do give one's mouse a workout. ;) Not particularly hard, but definately testing the "timed" aspect of the race. One might not want to start if connected with only a flimsy modem connection. ;)

However overall I did learn quite a bit about some of the places our teams went this time. I hope everyone has enjoyed the contest.

13. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Damn...about all I can say after that gruelling process is F' Me!

Danny - I only got the email confirmation from the 2nd page of questions, not from the first. Is that the way it's supposed to be? Also, for those of you that haven't answered them yet, on page 2, when you delete the text in one of the detour boxes, make absolutely damn sure that you get ALL of the text deleted, as well as any blank lines that may be in the field - it cost me about 20 seconds of time trying to figure out why the page wouldn't let me submit my answers saying that I could only answer one of the detours after I had deleted the text out of one of the boxes. Turns out that there was a blank line left that I didn't get deleted. Once that blank line was deleted, the page let me submit. Just a friendly warning from your contest leader. :)

14. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Danny - I only got the email confirmation from the 2nd page of questions, not from the first. Is that the way it's supposed to be?

Only if you enter a bad email address in that field. ;) I forwarded you your message.

15. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    13 hour warning!

16. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    So Danny,

Are we going to see any preliminary results before the show airs tonight? Just curious...

17. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    I'd hope so if for no other reason to remove chance for improprieties. The race looks close enough at this point that it still is anyone's game (depending on well people answered the questions).

18. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    I actually asked to try to enhance tonight's viewing for me. You know, like figuring out
    baseball teams' magic/tragic numbers. "So even though I have Brandon coming in after Colin, if Karen can beat Brandon then I'll be okay because <insert competitor here> has Chip getting eliminated, and Linda yielded Christie so I'll pick up two days on Mark Lamutt." Things like that.

19. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Here is the spreadsheet with the preliminary data moved in. I'm still verifying the final detour answers, but at least you can see who went which way and what their time was.

20. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Awesome! Looks like, unverified, I've got the top time for Detour 2 in both legs. That should help tremendously :)

Thanks for posting, this, Danny. And GOOD LUCK figuring it all out!