Amazing Race Contest: WEEK 5 QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Amazing Race Coordinator, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Amazing Race Coordinator

Amazing Race Coordinator Mentor

Jun 17, 2004
    This week's questions are now online.

Deadline to reply to the questions is midnight prior to the airing of the show (Eastern time).

Click here when you are ready to begin. Your time will begin once you click the START button found on that page.

NEW RULE: If you request these questions on Saturday, 1 minute will be added to your response time (the time between START and Submission, not your overall race clock). Sunday will add ten minutes. Monday will add thirty minutes.

2. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    It appears one of the servers hosting some images went down this morning from 6am - 9am. For those of you who already answered the questions, PM me if they were not available when you went to the submission page. (Don't post here as it will reveal which question you were thus forced to answer) I don't think anyone got caught by the outage, but I'm not certain.

FYI: incidents like this are beyond my control, and thus if it happens again (hopefully not), you will be forced to make a hard decision on answering the question without the graphic, or wait it out.

Also, let me know if you have any comments on the new system or if anything needs changing (more room to type answers, etc)

Ok, switched pictures to a different server. They are working again.

3. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Why not just host them on dbstalk?

4. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    I could do that I suppose, but then the admins here would have to be disqualified from any prize since they would then presumably have potential access.

I'm not saying they would cheat or anything, but right now the only person who can't win is me, and thats enough.

5. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Didn't think about the admins.

6. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Just one: Add code that if the user's ID is "saulres", the user can see the original source of any images you use.

7. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Yeah, I always rename (and sometimes even resize) the images. I don't want to make it too easy for you folks.

8. Aug 2, 2004 #8 of 36
    Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Just a few more hours till this week's questions close! Newcomers are still welcome (all the regulars have cast their ballots already).

I don't want to make it too easy for you folks.

Of course on the other hand, I think I might have made it too hard this week. The number of wrong answers I've gotten for this week's questions is a new record so I bet we'll have some position shifting.

A few of you aren't going to be happy. Details after midnight tonight when the polls close.

9. Aug 2, 2004 #9 of 36
    rjenkins

rjenkins Legend

Jul 18, 2002
    I wish I had known about the rule change this week. I've been super-busy so I didn't check the boards until this morning, only to discover I'm penalized 30 minutes of 'answer time'... Probably won't matter too much, but it was still a bit of a shock.

That being said, I like the new answer system a lot!!

10. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Yeah, I got caught by the rule change as well on Saturday...and this week's questions were definitely harder in my opinion. It took me significantly longer to come up with my detour answer this week (although I'm reasonably certain I'm right based on a couple of sources and something I watched a few months ago...)

11. Amazing Race Coordinator

Amazing Race Coordinator Mentor

Jun 17, 2004
    Question 1 (REQUIRED) : Which team finishes first in week 5?Answer correctly and no time will be added. Incorrect or no answer, add 1 day.

Marshal/Lance - brothers
    Linda/Karen - best friends
    Charla/Mirna - cousins
    Brandon/Nicole - dating
    Colin/Christie - dating
    Chip/Kim - married parents
    Kami/Karli - twins

-------------------

Question 2 (REQUIRED) : Which team comes in last place this week?Select one of the answers below. No time is added for correct answers, and one day will be added for incorrect.

Marshal/Lance - brothers
    Charla/Mirna - cousins
    Brandon/Nicole - dating
    Colin/Christie - dating
    Kami/Karli - twins

-------------------

Question 3 (REQUIRED) : Please select which teams finish this week's leg in the same position (1st, 3rd, 8th, etc) as what
    they started.
    Each correct selection subtracts a day from your time and each team you select which changes their position adds 1 day.

Marshal/Lance - brothers
    Charla/Mirna - cousins
    Brandon/Nicole - dating
    Colin/Christie - dating
    Kami/Karli - twins

-------------------------------

Question 4 YIELD (REQUIRED) : What is the time difference between the first team and the last at the start of this leg?
    Person with the closest guess has a day subtracted from his time, and also gets the option to yield another contestant (add a day to his/her time). Person with the furthest answer or those who don't answer are also
    penalized 1 day.

------------------------

Scavenger Hunt:
    For the next three questions (two detours and a fast forward), choose between them and pick only ONE to answer. You can use the Fast Forward only once over the entire contest. If however you attempt it and are not successful your first time, you can attempt it again later. Make certain the subject line of your email reflects your choice.

If you get the answers correct, your time will be determined by how quickly compared to other contestants you are able to mail the answers in. A wrong answer will be given the worst possible time for that question. ANSWER ONLY ONE!

---------------------------

Detour 1: The ship our teams first visited upon arriving in St. Petersburg is famous for signally the start of the October Revolution. However its history hasn't always been as glamorous. Its first major battle saw it flee in defeat at the hands of the Japanese, hiding in a neutral port until the war was over. What is the name of the person credited with saving the ship in this battle?

ANSWER: Captain 2nd rank Arkady Konstantinovich Nebolsin

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2004/07/15/007.html

The Battle of Tsushima was the action I was speaking of in the question above. It was the last of the Russo-Japanese war, and was fought on May 27, 1905. This battle marked one of the first fleet actions between all iron-clad ships. It did not go well for the Russians, and their fleet was all but destroyed. The Aurora, being toward the end of the line and a smaller vessel was spared the slaughter given the Russian flagships near the head. It and two other cruisers found themselves cut off and separated, and were forced to limp away from the battle to the US port of Manila. The US, unwilling to violate neutrality and restock the ships with coal or allow repairs, forced the ships to remain there until the end of the war.

Answers that others gave that are NOT correct:

Rear Admiral Enkwist: Sorry. While Admiral Enkwist survived and was in charge of the cruisers that survived, including the Aurora, he was not even onboard the ship during the actual battle. Enkwist was a political appointment and thought very poorly of by all the fleet commanders. Pleshakov, in his book "The Tsar's Last Armada" wrote that Enkwist was "just a passive observer that day", and was nicknamed "the slutty old geezer" by another commander. He was forced to frequently change ships because of the intense dislike the crews had for him.

E. R. Egoryev: Captain Egoryev was in command of the Aurora at the start of the battle, but was killed at the start of the battle. He thus was not responsible for seeing the ship safely through. Nebolsin took command of the Aurora and was the one instrumental in its survival. Egoryev can be given credit for having one of the finest crews in the fleet, but he wasn't the one who saved the ship.

Kreiser Avrora: The ship itself didn't magically come to life and save itself.
    ;)

----------------------------

Detour 2: While resting at their pit stop, the contestants might see this:

What is the name of this work of art?

[​IMG]

Mark Lamutt was the only one to attempt this question. From his answer, I surmise that he correct identified that this was one of the Florentine Mosaics, a piece of art found in the famous Amber Room in Catherine's Palace, where our contestants had their pit stop.

But he unfortunately fell victim to a badly translated website and provided the answer: Eyesight and Sense of Smell

I'm guessing you found this site:
    http://www.pushkin-town.net/.pushkin/eng/amberoom.htm

What that website did was mistranslate the russian. What should have been "Eyesight" and "Sense of Smell and Sense of Touch" they translated as "Eyesight and Sense of Smell" and "Sense of Touch".

Mark was very close, but a slight translation error nevertheless makes his answer incorrect. The artwork's name is just "Sight" or "Eyesight"

Official Amber Room site
    Florentine Mosaics

The Amber Room is considered by many to have been the 8th Wonder of the World and was considered a priceless work of art. Unfortunately it was looted by Germans during WWII. What happened to it afterwards is a mystery. Some say it was destroyed in a fire as Russian's recaptured the area it was stored. Others say it was hidden away, and is yet to be found.

A reproduction was commissioned to replace the piece. The new version currently in Catherine's Palace was finished a few years ago and is now open to the public.

----------------------------

Fast Forward: Who is this?

[​IMG]

Speaking of wonders of the world, rjenkins correctly noted that this cartouche belongs to Khufu who is responsible for building the only surviving Ancient Wonder. Khufu is the builder of the Great Pyramid, which we should see in this next episode.

As the only one to take the Fast Forward, rjenkins will be tied in first place.

-----------------------------

One other note: I realized when scoring this week's questions that I made an error in assigning points for week 3. I gave all those who had incorrect answers a 3. I should have had two of them with 4's. This will have a small effect on others in weeks 4 and 5. I'll fix this tommorrow for the final results.

12. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Damnit! Yes, I first saw the bad translation at the Pushkin site about 20 minutes into my searching, and then I spent another 25 minutes finding 2 other sites that called that mosaic the same thing...grrrrr....I knew almost immediately that it was from the Amber Room because of the DiscoveryHD special about it that was running a few months ago.

Oh well...you're being pretty tough with this one Danny! :D At least I only lost a day (well a 2 day swing) with this one, being the only one to attempt it...

13. Tusk

Tusk Back in the Game DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 14, 2002
    Wow, Detour 1 was a difficult question. Even having the answer that you gave us, I can only find Arkady Konstantinovich Nebolsin mentioned on two websites, one being the one you linked to and the other simply stating that he was incharge of the ship. Congrats to those who answered correctly.

14. rjenkins

rjenkins Legend

Jul 18, 2002
    I must say that the new version isn't nearly as good as the original. In the original, the telescope/eyeglass was much more prominent, and actually made "Sight" as a title make sense. I barely noticed the telescope in the new version until I looked at the original first.

15. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    As one who did get it right, I agree, it was tough. Which, I think made it more fun! I got a true feeling of satisfaction, after having plowed through a bunch of sites which said the ship was involved in a battle, but not giving more details, when I finally found the answer.

Great job, Danny. Keep it up :)

16. JBKing

JBKing Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    After researching for about 30 minutes on the detour 1 question, I grabbed the first name I saw that was even mentioned as surviving that battle, Rear Admiral Enkwist.

Congrats to saulres. Don't take it personal when I force you to yield! ;)

Hey! I just looked at the spreadsheet, and saulres, you have me picked as your yield????? OK, now it is personal! ;) :grin: :D

17. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Danny,

Why do we have to choose whether or not to use the yield when answering the question? That wasn't the case in the first weeks of the contest, was it? My impression was that you were emailing the winner of the yield after the fact to ask if they wanted to use it and on whom.

And, should you be making public who the non-winners of the yield choose to yield? As it hasn't been used on the show yet, we don't know if it's going to be public knowledge who's using it or not, but even if the team using it is public knowledge, why make all of the attempted uses of it public?

18. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Why do we have to choose whether or not to use the yield when answering the question?

I think this is the fairest way to use it. If you wait till after the answers are known, then the likely target will always be the new leader.

In the actual Amazing Race, contestants do not always know which teams are ahead or behind them... its possible one might Yield someone who has already passed the Yield point and thus wasted it.

should you be making public who the non-winners of the yield choose to yield?

Thats a good point which I'm open to debate. My impression from the show was that the contestants would know who Yielded them... If most folks think this info should be hidden in the future, let me know and I'll consider it.

For now however I think knowing someone is aiming at you makes you more likely to use it yourself. Then you are forced to consider if you want to aim at the person shooting your way, or at the person who is actually a leader. This adds to the strategy in my opinion, so I'm not anxious to change the rule.

---

I finished fixing Week 3's results. Buzzdalf and Unthinkable had their route scores changed from 3's to 4's as they had the slowest response times of those who got the question wrong that week.

This had in indirect effect on Tstorms (countered by his FF), lowjeep and mwgiii because they started the game after week 3 and the last place score was effected (which changed their starting time).

The problem was caused because I hadn't really considered the effect of incorrect answers on the hunt questions. In week 3 I gave the incorrects the next score down and didn't consider the time it took them to respond. However with so many people missing questions this week, it became obvious that I'd made a mistake in scoring that week. Incorrect answers would be grouped AFTER the correct answers but would not all be given the same score but also rated according to speed.

19. JBKing

JBKing Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I like knowing who wants me to yield, it gives me someone to gun for! :D

20. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Well, JB, I picked you because you were above me and I picked on coribright last week. Share the wealth. If you don't want to be picked, don't do better than me :p

I don't think you'll pick me, though. Although I'm looking good now, wait until after the results are in for things that happen on the show, and see how far I drop...