Amazing Race Contest: WEEK 6 QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Amazing Race Coordinator, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Aug 4, 2004 #1 of 18
    Amazing Race Coordinator

Amazing Race Coordinator Mentor

Jun 17, 2004
    This week's questions are now online!

Deadline to reply to the questions is midnight prior to the airing of the show (Eastern time).

Click here when you are ready to begin. Your time will begin once you click the START button found on that page.

PLEASE NOTE: If you request these questions on Saturday, 1 minute will be added to your response time (the time between START and Submission, not your overall race clock). Sunday will add ten minutes. Monday will add thirty minutes.

2. Aug 5, 2004 #2 of 18
    Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Damn! Hard again!

3. Aug 9, 2004 #3 of 18
    Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    13th hour warning.

4. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Are this week's entries as well as answers going to be posted before the show? If not, how much does it cost to get my answers changed after the show?

5. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    I imagine that Danny was working the polls again today, and hasn't had time to deal with the contest.

6. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Yup, spend all day yesterday stuffing ballot boxes. ;) I haven't even had a chance to watch the show yet.

I'll have the results up this afternoon most likely, with new questions up by 10pm at the latest.

7. Amazing Race Coordinator

Amazing Race Coordinator Mentor

Jun 17, 2004
    Question 1 (REQUIRED) : Which team finishes first in week 6?
    Answer correctly and no time will be added. Incorrect or no answer, add 1 day.

Colin/Christie - dating
    Charla/Mirna - cousins
    Brandon/Nicole - dating
    Chip/Kim - married parents
    Marshal/Lance - brothers
    Kami/Karli - twins
    Linda/Karen - best friends

---------------------------------

Question 2 (REQUIRED) : Which team comes in last place this week?
    Select one of the answers below. No time is added for correct answers, and one day will be added for incorrect.

Colin/Christie - dating
    Charla/Mirna - cousins
    Brandon/Nicole - dating
    Marshal/Lance - brothers
    Kami/Karli - twins

-------------------------------------------------

Question 3 (REQUIRED) : Which team IMPROVES their position the most from start to finish in this leg.
    Answer correctly and add no time. Answer incorrectly and add 1 day.

Colin/Christie - dating
    Charla/Mirna - cousins
    Brandon/Nicole - dating
    Marshal/Lance - brothers
    Kami/Karli - twins

---------------------------

Question 4 YIELD (REQUIRED) : How much of a lead do Colin/Christie have over their nearest competitor at the start of this week's leg?
    Person with the closest guess has a day subtracted from his time, and also gets the option to yield another contestant (add a day to his/her time). Person with the furthest answer or those who don't answer are also
    penalized 1 day.

7 hrs 14 min

------------------------------------------------------------

Scavenger Hunt:

For the next three questions (two detours and a fast forward), choose between them and pick only ONE to answer. You can use the Fast Forward only once over the entire contest. If however you attempt it and are not successful your first time, you can attempt it again later. Make certain the subject line of your email reflects your choice.
    If you get the answers correct, your time will be determined by how quickly compared to other contestants you are able to mail the answers in. A wrong answer will be scored as worse than any correct answers with better time. ANSWER ONLY ONE!

---------------------------------

Detour 1: What is the name of the well known egyptologist pictured below?

[​IMG]

Robert Schoch is well known for his work in using erosion patters to date the Sphinx as far older than previously believed, making it the first structure built in the area and predating the pyramids.

----------------------------------

Detour 2: This week our contestants travel to Crocodile Island in Luxor. This island is a well known destination for ornithologists. One species found at this location is presented below.
    The male and female varieties are presented. Identify the bird by its scientific name.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any of the names listed below are acceptable, as they all are alternatives for the Nile Valley Sunbird

http://www.bsc-eoc.org/avibase/avibase.jsp?pg=summary&lang=EN&id=ADAFAC4A

Alternative names recognized by other taxonomic authorities:
    CINFO 1993: Souimanga du Nil (Anthreptes metallicus)
    Clements 4th ed.: Nile Valley Sunbird (Anthreptes metallicus)
    Clements 5th ed.: Nile Valley Sunbird (Hedydipna metallica)
    Clements 5th ed. (updated 2004): Nile Valley Sunbird (Hedydipna metallica)
    Howard & Moore 2003: Nile Valley Sunbird (Hedydipna metallicus)
    Sibley & Monroe 1993: Nile Valley Sunbird (Anthreptes metallicus)
    Sibley & Monroe 1996: Nile Valley Sunbird (Anthreptes metallicus)

-----------------------------------

Fast Forward: The bowling moms narrowly avoided elimination this week. To stay in the game, they will need to play it perfectly. Who holds the record for most perfect games in the WIBC for a single season? What season was it, and how many such games did they bowl?

Altramese Webb, Detroit, set the Women’s International Bowling Congress record for the most 300 games in one season with seven in 2002-03, breaking a 13-year-old mark

--------------------------------------

1 JBKing 14
    1 rjenkins 14
    3 Mark Lamutt 16
    3 Tstorms 16
    5 saulres 17
    6 Tusk 18
    7 CoriBright 22
    8 bgilmore 23
    9 cdru 26
    10 Buzzdalf 29
    11 Unthinkable 30
    12 Marvin 31
    13 lowjeep 32
    14 mwgiii 34

8. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Yikes! How the hell did you guys find the detour answers THAT FAST!!!?!!? Unbelievable...

9. JBKing

JBKing Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    In the rush to quickly find an answer, I messed up and thought I was taking a detour and not the fast forward. I saw the bird picture and searched about 3 minutes, then saw the bowling question and found the answer right away and entered it on my form without seeing that it was the FF. Noticed my screwup as soon as I hit the submit button. :shrug:

10. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    I'm actually surprised more people didn't go for Detour 1.

One of the science channels for awhile was endlessly repeating a show featuring Schoch talking about the Sphinx. He also appeared on a special about some underwater pseudo road.

11. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    I looked for about 5 minutes for Detour 1 and just ended up coming up with dead egyptoligists, even though I was specifically searching for current ones.

Danny, you didn't count "Nile Valley Sunbird" as a correct scientific name, did you?

12. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    No. ;) I was actually surprised that more than one came up. Saulres discovered that and brought it to my attention.

After asking around, I found out that while there is supposed to be only one name for any creature, the standards are not controlled by any central authority, and reference books can thus differ.

It is probable that the bird was reclassified at some point, and only one of the names above being actually correct, with the others being older versions that are still listed on the books. However I leave it up to the readers to delve through the hard science literature to come up with the absolutely correct notation where such a change was made.

13. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    That's good...I would hate to have to have beaten you senseless... :)

14. CoriBright

CoriBright Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

May 30, 2002
    The picture didn't appear for me so I just took #2! I'm not one to hang around and wait, it's a race!

15. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Thats odd. Pictures for both #1 and #2 are located on the same site. *shrug*

16. rjenkins

rjenkins Legend

Jul 18, 2002
    I went for Detour 1 simply because I had seen all those shows on Discovery with him, and I recognized him. But it still took me a very frustrating ~15 minutes to find his actual name. My main problem is that I thought he was one of the egyptologists in a series Nova did on the Pyramids / the Sphinx. After finding the Nova shows, I realized he wasn't on that series, but was on a different series on Discovery that I had also seen (repeatedly). I'm amazed that my 17 minutes was the fastest for Detour 1 (and it looks like the only correct one?). I was kicking myself for taking so long to find him.

I'm definitely liking the "Google" aspect of the Detours. And having it all timed makes it all the more exciting (and panic-inducing as each search term doesn't give you the information you need!). :)

Danny, you're doing a great job. Keep up the good work!

17. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    I'm amazed that my 17 minutes was the fastest for Detour 1 (and it looks like the only correct one?).

Yup, one answer guessed Hawass I believe. That is the Egyptian fellow who is in charge out there and "discovered" Osiris' Shaft that our contestants descended in week 5.

The other wrong answer just said Sphinx, so they probably decided not to take the time to look it up. Worked pretty well since most folks went to Detour 2.

18. buzzdalf

buzzdalf Godfather

Jan 27, 2003
    Yeah, I said Sphinx purely out of laziness. I like this contest format but am finding I'm too lazy to find most of these detour answers :)