Amazing Race Contest: WEEK 7 QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Amazing Race Coordinator, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Amazing Race Coordinator

Amazing Race Coordinator Mentor

Jun 17, 2004
    This week's questions are now online!

Deadline to reply to the questions is midnight prior to the airing of the show (Eastern time).

Click here when you are ready to begin. Your time will begin once you click the START button found on that page.

PLEASE NOTE: If you request these questions on Saturday, 1 minute will be added to your response time (the time between START and Submission, not your overall race clock). Sunday will add ten minutes. Monday will add thirty minutes.

2. TStorms

TStorms Mentor

Sep 16, 2003
    I requested the questions at exactly 11 PM EDT, but the email stamp shows that I requested them at 12:27 AM on Saturday. :confused:
    Is it possible to correct the clock on the form, or will I be penalized 1 minute for answering the questions on Saturday? :nono2:

Thanks,
    TStorms

3. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    Don't worry, I'm aware of the time difference between the clock on the server where the questions are located and Eastern Time.

Right after I post that the questions are ready, I test the link myself and compare the times between the question server and the time found on DBSTalk.

4. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Well, just to be sure, my question request came at 11:44pm Friday night, even though the email said it was 1:09am. :)

5. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Just wondering, Danny. How come the Saturday penality? The show repeats on Saturday evenings, and some people may catch it then.

6. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    The whole purpose of the time penalty is to offer some counter-balance to those who might wait and hope for some new spoiler information.

I don't know if its yet happened or not, but Saturday's airing might have new commercials for the next episode.

7. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    13th hour warning.

8. Amazing Race Coordinator

Jun 17, 2004
    Question 1 (REQUIRED) : Which team finishes first in week 7?
    Answer correctly and no time will be added. Incorrect or no answer, add 1 day.

Colin/Christie - dating
    Chip/Kim - married parents
    Kami/Karli - twins
    Brandon/Nicole - dating
    Charla/Mirna - cousins
    Linda/Karen - best friends

------------------------

Question 2 (REQUIRED) : Which team comes in last place this week?
    Select one of the answers below. No time is added for correct answers, and one day will be added for incorrect.

Colin/Christie - dating
    Kami/Karli - twins
    Brandon/Nicole - dating
    Charla/Mirna - cousins

----------------------

Question 3 (REQUIRED) : Of the final six teams, which ones make up the final three?

For each correct answer, you subtract a day from your time. For each checked team which is not in the final three, you add a day. You must check exactly three. Checking more or less automatically penalizes you
    three days. Obviously this question will not be graded until such time as only three teams remain. At that point all scores from this quesiton on will be adjusted.

Colin/Christie - dating
    Kami/Karli - twins
    Brandon/Nicole - dating
    Charla/Mirna - cousins

-----------------------------

Question 4 YIELD (REQUIRED) : How much money do the contestants receive at the start of this week's leg?
    Person with the closest guess has a day subtracted from his time, and also gets the option to yield another contestant (add a day to his/her time). Person with the furthest answer or those who don't answer are also
    penalized 1 day. If money is not mentioned as being given to the contestants and thus no amount is revealed then the answer is considered to be $0.00. If however money can be seen being pulled out of the envelope,
    but no amount is actually revealed, then the person with the HIGHEST guess is considered to be closest and thus wins the yield.

Answer: $75
    --------------------------

Scavenger Hunt:
    For the next three questions (two detours and a fast forward), choose between them and pick only ONE to answer. You can use the Fast Forward only once over the entire contest. If however you attempt it and are not successful your first time, you can attempt it again later. Make certain the subject line of your email reflects your choice.
    If you get the answers correct, your time will be determined by how quickly compared to other contestants you are able to mail the answers in. A wrong answer will be scored as worse than any correct answers with better time. ANSWER ONLY ONE!

----------------------

Detour 1: The following image is identified by a plate number written at the top-right corner in roman numerals (cropped out). What number is that?
    [​IMG]

As we saw in last week's episode, the teams descended down into the Creation Room. Phil said this is the "geographic center of the earth". While its not really true (you can only arrive at this conclusion looking at a flat map), for many years it was believed to be the case, in large part because of the work of Charles Piazzi Smyth and his book Our Inheritance in the Great Pyramid (1877). Included in that book were a number of images of the Great Pyramids. Among them the plate above, PLATE XX

A google search for (pyramid plate) brings up a list of the images found in that work in the 1st link.

http://www.pinetreeweb.com/piazzi-smyth-pyramid-plates-index.htm

Using better maps and better equations, the "geographic center" is at 37.688 N, 35.438 E (the historic place Iskenderun). The Great Pyramid: 30N, 31E

-----------------

Detour 2: This week our contestants travel from Egypt to Tanzania. A resident of the area is named Rajabu.
    You'll know which Rajabu because this one has no last name. He is involved with two women and has four children since 1996, three girls and one boy. What are the names of Rajabu's mates?

One of the most famous regions of Tanzania is the Serengetti. The Serengetti is home to many animals, among them the Rhino. Unfortunately hunters almost killed them all off. Rajabu is one of only a seven Rhino's in his specific area. His mates are Mama Serengeti and Concave.

http://www.serengeti.org/download/Rhino_Population.pdf

--------------------

Fast Forward:Tanzania is well known for its bee-keepers, including the famous "killer bees". How many bee-stings do experts generally agree will kill a non-allergic person?

The interesting news is that four people tried for the Fast Forward this time! Only one however wins the coveted prize.

Unforunately I was not specific enough in this question, and everyone who answered it gave me a different answer. All however can be considered correct for the specific circumstances, so I'm not going to count any as actually being missed.

Poisons are not a cut and dry process. The most widely recognized measure of toxicology is the LD50 statistic, or the lethal dose that will kill 50% of the time. For bee's, that is 8.6 stings per pound of weight.

However as mentioned, since its a LD50 stat, that means some folks stung that many times might live. 10 stings per pound however has always been fatal for test animals. Another of you answered with that.

The other two gave specific # of stings for various size adults. Those are correct as well for their specific cases.

Sorry, next time I'll try and be more specific, such as asking how many bee's are necessary to lift this woman off her couch. ;)

Also the late entry penalty really hit mgwiii this round. He had the fastest answer to the Fast Forward, but then was penalized and given the slowest overall time as a result.

9. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Damn...you guys are all coming after ME with the yield!?! Yikes! What'd I do to you?!? :)

Danny - will there be a yield the final week of the contest? You've said there won't be a FF available the final week, but I don't recall you saying anything about the yield.

10. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Yes, there will be a yield the final week. Remember however that you and TStorms can no longer use the Yield, since you have both yielded others.

11. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    hmmm...methinks it may not be the best position to be leading this contest going into the final week...hmmm...or at least need to be leading by more than a day.

12. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    If a specific amount is not mentioned on the show, but it is online, will that affect the scored answer? Or are we only concerned with what we see during the show?

Being the only one that answered the correct answer of 8.6 stings/pound, I should protest :) ...but my entry time would have been the same or longer for the other questions putting me in the same spot or worse with added time so oh well. I'll use the FF next week maybe.

Even then you wouldn't be specific enough. Since her skin had grown into the fabric, the bees would also have to lift the couch, or at a minimum the cushins. And do the bees have to lift her by flying or useing their little legs pushing her up? :)[/QUOTE]

13. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    If a specific amount is not mentioned on the show, but it is online, will that affect the scored answer? Or are we only concerned with what we see during the show?

Only what we see on the show. If the amount is revealed off the air on a website or during the next week, it doesn't count.

Being the only one that answered the correct answer of 8.6 stings/pound, I should protest

Well, that amount only kills one half the time, so perhaps you only deserve half credit. *grin*

14. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    As you have been noticing, I've been posting the race results. My unofficial results usually agree with Danny's official results.

15. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    My unofficial results usually agree with Danny's official results.

hehe... I'd be surprised if they ever differed. I'm often not able to watch the show immediately on Tuesday, so I've been using your results to judge. :lol:

16. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Well...1/2 of +1 is better then +1. 1/2 of -1 is also better then +1 so I'll take either. :)

Suddenly a lot more people are now going to start watching the start times and comparing them to the (un)offical results.

17. Amazing Race Coordinator

Jun 17, 2004
    Answers have been marked on the questions above. Scoresheet attached.

1 Buzzdalf 14
    1 rjenkins 14
    3 Mark Lamutt 18
    4 Tusk 19
    4 JBKing 19
    4 saulres 19
    7 Tstorms 20
    8 CoriBright 26
    9 bgilmore 28
    10 cdru 29
    11 Unthinkable 33
    12 lowjeep 35