1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazing Race Contest: WEEK 8 QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Amazing Race Coordinator, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Amazing Race Coordinator

Amazing Race Coordinator Mentor

Jun 17, 2004
    This week's questions are now online!

Deadline to reply to the questions is midnight prior to the airing of the show (Eastern time).

Click here when you are ready to begin. Your time will begin once you click the START button found on that page.

PLEASE NOTE: If you request these questions on Saturday, 1 minute will be added to your response time (the time between START and Submission, not your overall race clock). Sunday will add ten minutes. Monday will add thirty minutes.

2. Amazing Race Coordinator

Amazing Race Coordinator Mentor

Jun 17, 2004
    Question 1 (REQUIRED) : Which team finishes first in week 8?
    Answer correctly and no time will be added. Incorrect or no answer, add 1 day.

Chip/Kim - married parents
    Colin/Christie - dating
    Brandon/Nicole - dating
    Linda/Karen - best friends
    Kami/Karli - twins

---------------------

Question 2 (REQUIRED) : Which team comes in last place this week?
    Select one of the answers below. No time is added for correct answers, and one day will be added for incorrect.

Colin/Christie - dating
    Brandon/Nicole - dating
    Kami/Karli - twins

----------------------

Question 3 (REQUIRED) : There are still a few non-elimination legs remaining in The Amazing Race. Which teams will grab this coveted position and come in last but NOT be eliminated? You may check none or as many as you wish. For each non-elimination leg, contestants who have that team checked will lose a day of time. If you do not have that team checked you will gain a day. By the end of the contest all teams you have checked which did not meet the requirement also give you a day of time. This poll will be scored retroactively throughout the rest of the contest as if all answers were known immediately for this week's poll. Thus fast forwards and other scores dependent upon its value might be changed at a later point.

Colin/Christie - dating
    Brandon/Nicole - dating
    Kami/Karli - twins

------------------

Question 4 YIELD (REQUIRED) : How many times do we see a different team move into sole possession of first place for this upcoming leg?
    The words "currently in 1st place", text to that effect, or actually finishing the leg in 1st mark an "official" change. Please note that this is NOT a count of how many times those words appear on screen, as the same person might be noted as being in first place multiple times. Person(s) with the closest guess has a day subtracted from his time, and also gets the option to yield another contestant (add a day to his/her time). Person(s) with the furthest answer or those who don't answer are also penalized 1 day.

Position changes:
    Chip/Kim start race, grab 1st charter. All but one team catches up for 1st flight out of Tanzania to Dubai.

Kami/Karli take 1st place leaving Dubai airport. All teams catch up waiting for heliport. Kami/Karli remain in lead leaving heliport.

Chip/Kim regain lead at Dhou boat, but quickly lose it trying to find a taxi. No team is marked as having sole posession of lead however. Detour splits teams and it turns out the "slow" route was fastest.

Colin/Christie take lead after finishing detour, and a camel ride later walk into the pit-stop retaining their lead.

Thus the answer is three.

----------------------

Scavenger Hunt:
    For the next three questions (two detours and a fast forward), choose between them and pick only ONE to answer. You can use the Fast Forward only once over the entire contest. If however you attempt it and are not successful your first time, you can attempt it again later. Make certain the subject line of your email reflects your choice. If you get the answers correct, your time will be determined by how quickly compared to other
    contestants you are able to mail the answers in. A wrong answer will be scored as worse than any correct answers with better time. ANSWER ONLY ONE!

------------------------

Detour 1: How many Olympic medals has Tanzania won in the history of the modern games?
    List the winner, event, year and type (gold/silver/bronze). Medals won up until the deadline of midnight prior to the show DO count.

Suleiman Nyambui - Men's 5,000 m - 1980 - silver
    Filbert Bayi - Men's 3,000 m Steeplechase - 1980 - silver

------------------------

Detour 2:This week our contestants fly to Dubai. How many Olympic medals have been won by the country Dubai is located in?

Sheikh Ahmed Bin Hashar Al Maktoum - Men's Double Trap Shooting - 2004 - Gold

Unfortunately while most of you got this above correct, those of you who also listed the following were marked as wrong:

Osman Sayed - Greco-Roman Wrestling (52 kg) - 1960 (Rome)- Silver

It appears that in many places on the internet this medal is listed as belonging to the UAE. However this is an error!

In 1960, Osman Sayed competed for the United Arab Republic, which was a relatively new union of Egypt and Syria. Some sites list this medal as UAE, but it rightfully should be UAR, or the country formerly and since known as Egypt. In any case, Dubai certainly was not located in UAR and thus even if the proper abbreviation could be interpreted as UAE it would still be wrong. The United Arab Emirates wasn't even an actual nation until 1971, making it difficult for it to win any medals prior this point.

Tusk also mentioned the silver medal, but I'm giving him credit because he recognized the error and pointed out that UAE wasn't recognized by the Olympics until 1980.

--------------------

Fast Forward: If you thought Egypt had some antiquties, thats nothing to Tanzania. What is the nickname of the following "person"? There may be more than one, but the "short" one word nick is the correct answer. Photo of original and a completed reproduction are displayed:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nickname: Zinj. This is short for Zinjanthropous boisei. (The genus name Zinjanthropus did not withstand scientific scrutiny, and boisei is now considered to be either a species of Australopithecus or Paranthropus.)

Zinj was found in the Olduvai Gorge in Tanzania and is estimated to be 1.8 million years old. It was instrumental in turning attention toward Africa as the birthplace of humanity. While at first thought to be a human ancestor, later findings show that it was an offshoot branch.

http://www.mnh.si.edu/anthro/humanorigins/ha/oh5.html

Current database is enclosed. Remember that some of the scores for this and last week are preliminary until final answers are known.

3. TStorms

TStorms Mentor

Sep 16, 2003
    Why did Mark Lamutt receive three days for answering NONE to Question 3: Almost Eliminated? Your rules specifically state that "you may check none."

4. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    Yes, you may check none. However that doesn't mean you don't still get scored:

There are believed to be four total non-elimination legs (this isn't a spoiler BTW, as Phil specifically stated during the first non-elimination leg that it was the first of four), of which we've seen one. Thus Mark, by checking none, will have 3 days added because he didn't correctly answer a team for those legs. If it turns out there are no more non-elimination legs, or less than 3 remaining, then that score will decrease.

5. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    All part of my evil genius to drop far enough down in the standings so that you'll all leave me the hell alone with the yield! (before I come roaring back at the end to win the whole thing) :lol:

Or it could just be that I'm falling victem to the race aspect of this game, and not taking enough time to fully read the questions...

6. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    The best score for that question is -3, assuming you get all three correct and don't include any other teams.

The worst score I believe is a 7, if you pick 4 teams, and the 5th lands on the elimination spot all 3 times.

Picking every contestant would probably have been the safest bet, as it would land you between a -1 and a 1

But don't worry, thats it for this sort of question till the final two weeks. I just wanted to have a few long term prediction question at this point so that there is some unknown in scoring right up to the last minute.

7. TStorms

TStorms Mentor

Sep 16, 2003
    Thanks for the clarification, Danny.
    It took me a while to figure out how this was going to be scored, but if you score it episode by episode, I understand how it works.

Enjoy the show tonight. We'll watch the show on tape on Friday so we can watch the Olympics "somewhat" live tonight. ;)

8. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Unfortunately there is an error in the results.

saulres is listed as yielding buzzdalf, and cdru is listed as yielding bgilmore. The proper yields are actually reversed. saulres yielded bgilmore (ineffectual) and cdru yielded buzzdalf (which will thus take effect once I update)

The error looks like it will cause a change in positions. I'll fix the spreadsheet later this weekend.

9. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Sigh. I've seen those two words together far too often :crying_sa

----------

OOh, hey! For those of you keeping track, this is my 100th post! Yay me :righton:

10. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    FYI: Look in Week 9 for the updated scoresheet, but JBKing is the only contestant thus far with a 100% track record in guessing non-elimination teams. He's guessed both so far, and has a -2 score on that question thus far.

11. JBKing

JBKing Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    <overhead while some of the contestants are whispering amongst themselves>
    Who should we yield next week? Hmmm.... look at this guy who has a -2 on the non-elimination teams question. What if he gets it right next time also????? That would be -3!!!!!!

Thanks, Danny!!!!!!! ;)

<walking away backwards to conceal huge target on my back>

12. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    There are lots of good yield targets.

On one hand there are a lot of leaders who have already taken the fast forward. Therefore a yield against them can't be countered later.

On the other hand there are still some people in great position who haven't taken a fast forward yet, meaning they are pretty darn consistent in answering and likely to maintain a lead once they obtain it, so waiting till they take the fast forward and then nailing them might be wise.

Gripping hand, there are always those folks who are still looking in good position for the final 3 question from week 7 as well, which also have a number of swing points.

On the artificial hand, nobody can fault you for targetting someone who send a yield your way as well. ;)

Bouncing off the foot, sure, just yield JBKing. *grin*