Amazing Race Contest: WEEK 9 QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Amazing Race Coordinator, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Amazing Race Coordinator

Amazing Race Coordinator Mentor

Jun 17, 2004
    This week's questions are now online!

Deadline to reply to the questions is midnight prior to the airing of the show (Eastern time).

Click here when you are ready to begin. Your time will begin once you click the START button found on that page.

PLEASE NOTE: If you request these questions on Saturday, 1 minute will be added to your response time (the time between START and Submission, not your overall race clock). Sunday will add ten minutes. Monday will add thirty minutes. Again these times are Eastern.

2. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Must remember that Saturday begins at 10:00pm Friday night... Must remember... :)

3. Amazing Race Coordinator

Jun 17, 2004
    Question 1 (REQUIRED) : Which team finishes first in week 9?
    Answer correctly and no time will be added. Incorrect or no answer, add 1 day.

Colin/Christie - dating
    Brandon/Nicole - dating
    Chip/Kim - married parents
    Linda/Karen - best friends
    Kami/Karli - twins

------------------------

Question 2 (REQUIRED) : Which team comes in last place this week?
    Select one of the answers below. No time is added for correct answers, and one day will be added for incorrect.

Colin/Christie - dating
    Brandon/Nicole - dating
    Kami/Karli - twins

-------------------------

Question 3 (REQUIRED) : Which team if any uses the Fast Forward this week?

Colin/Christie - dating
    Brandon/Nicole - dating
    Kami/Karli - twins
    No Team uses the Fast Forward

---------------------

Question 4 YIELD (REQUIRED) : With the exception of the start and finish, how many times will ALL the teams catch up to each other in this leg of the race?
    Person(s) with the closest guess has a day subtracted from his time, and also gets the option to yield another contestant (add a day to his/her time). Person(s) with the furthest answer or those who don't answer are also
    penalized 1 day. Remember that a Yield can only be used once for the entire contest, but you can receive as many yields as are given.

I counted three times.

At the water park
    At the airport
    At the brick factory

--------------------

Scavenger Hunt:
    For the next three questions (two detours and a fast forward), choose between them and pick only ONE to answer. You can use the Fast Forward only once over the entire contest. If however you attempt it and are not successful your first time, you can attempt it again later.
    If you get the answers correct, your time will be determined by how quickly compared to other contestants you are able to mail the answers in. A wrong answer will be scored as worse than any correct answers with better time. ANSWER ONLY ONE!

---------------------------

Detour 1: In last week's episode, the teams visited a luxury hotel and traveled up to the heliport. Describe the multimedia system found in each suite of that hotel?

The hotel is the luxurious Burj Al Arab. It is one of the most luxurious hotels in the world and boasts that it has no rooms, but rather has 202 suites, each one arranged over two floors.

Television diagonal: 42"
    Screen technology: Plasma
    # of channels: 57-75 (some official sites list 57, others 75. I'm guessing the latter is the better answer, but I'll give credit for either)

http://www.burj-al-arab.com/staying_with_us/

(Tusk, I marked yours wrong because you didn't mention any channels)

--------------------

Detour 2:Teasers indicate that the teams travel to Calcutta, India this leg. What famous person lived here and whats the street address of this building?

[​IMG]

This is the main apartments and headquarters for the Missions of Charity founded by Mother Teresa. Its located in Calcuta at 54A Acharya Jagdish Chandra Bose Road

--------------------

Fast Forward: India is a land of many faiths. To whom is this temple dedicated?

[​IMG]

Nobody took the Fast Forward this week. The temple is primarily dedicated to the Goddess Kali.

http://www.sacredsites.com/asia/india/calcutta.html

4. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Damn, I suck at this game...

5. JBKing

JBKing Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    No, what sucks is having the right answer to the 2nd detour, and then changing it to the wrong answer! :mad:

I knew it had to do with Mother Teresa, but I couldn't find the picture. I entered the Missions of Charity home for my answer, but before sumbittimg my answers, I found a picture of St. Mary's High School that Mother Teresa attended, that sorta looked like it might have been the picture in the contest, so I changed my answer. :(

6. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    Damn, I suck at this game...

I believe with the exceptions of saulres and Tusk, everyone ahead of you has used the Fast Forward. So you aren't doing that badly.

Of course there are only three more opportunities to win a Fast Forward (assuming 13 episodes)

I found a picture of St. Mary's High School that Mother Teresa attended, that sorta looked like it might have been the picture in the contest, so I changed my answer.

Hehe... That explains your answer. I didn't know your answer was a real place. When I saw the street name of "Dum Dum", I thought you were just making it up.

7. Tusk

Tusk Back in the Game DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 14, 2002
    The box to fill in for Detour 1 only had a spot for Television diagonal and screen technology when I pulled the page up. There was not a number of channels line or I would have answered it.

Those three questions should have been part of the way the question was written and not as items in the box. I'm using firefox, maybe it didn't display right.

8. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Hm. I'd have to agree w/Tusk, if that's how it happened. It's very easy to accidentally delete things in the inputbox, so Danny, I would suggest not doing it that way again, and awarding Tusk at least partial credit for Tusk's question.

And no, this is not a blatant attempt to suck up to Tusk so Tusk doesn't Yield me :D

Thanks for pointing that out to everyone, Danny. Makes me feel all vulnerable.

Well, they're down to 5 teams and still have two non-elimination rounds. I figure it'll go like this:
    Tonight (Ep 9): eliminate down to 4
    Ep 10: don't eliminate
    Ep 11: eliminate down to 3
    Ep 12: don't eliminate
    Ep 13: two-hour finale

so that would give four more opportunities.

9. CoriBright

CoriBright Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

May 30, 2002
    Never mind, "Survivor" starts soon! And you know how badly I do in that contest! You can pass me yet again! I started off so well in this one, it's very depressing - but whatever! It's just fun.

Can we all try again for the next Amazing Race season, please?! Hmmm, guess that would mean two simultaneous contests - even more chances to mess up!

10. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Those three questions should have been part of the way the question was written and not as items in the box. I'm using firefox, maybe it didn't display right.

This is a tough call. Giving you full credit puts you in 1st position for that Detour rather than 7th, a position you might not have had if you had to type in the rest of the info. However its obvious you did locate the right page holding the info, but again, I'm not responsible for internet errors, and the code I used was standard.

I'll consider it tonight and make my final decision when I post tonights results. If anybody has any other comments and wants to try and sway me one way or the other you have from now until approximately 11pm to make them.

And you know how badly I do in that contest!

I didn't think Mark was running a contest this time. Any new info?

Can we all try again for the next Amazing Race season, please?!

I'll be running this one again, unless Mark Holtz wants it back.

Ep 13: two-hour finale ... so that would give four more opportunities.

There will NOT be a fast forward available the final week.

11. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Cari - (for now at least) I'm done with the survivor contests. I wasn't going to do the last one, except that the prizes offered were just too good to pass up. But, I have too many other things going on at the moment to allow for the time the contests take to run.

Danny - I'd at least put what the question is asking in the text of the question itself in addition to the answer box. That might avoid non-standard browser inconsistencies for the rest of the way. As to how to rule on this one, it's a tough one to be sure. :shrug:

12. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Right, but you'll see that I'm listing 4 more episodes before that (including tonight). So, four more opportunities, near as I can tell.

13. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    I'd say let it stand the way it is. I know that is going to suck for Tusk, but the questions were there. I use firefox and they were there for me. If they had scrolled down, then there would have been scroll bars.

14. Amazing Race Coordinator

Jun 17, 2004
    Updated answers are above.

Tusk, sadly I'm going to leave the ruling as it is. While its certainly possible you didn't see that portion of the question due to browser trouble, its also possible in your haste to answer the question (putting in a record 4 minute response) you simply overlooked it, or perhaps accidentally deleted it when clearing out the other text in the box.

15. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Bummer. I figured that since the water park and ride to the airport were adjacent to each other (no one really got split up until Chip and Kim missed the 2nd flight), that those would count as only 1 tie (there was no one to really catch up to). Guess that's why they have judges for these things.

16. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    It was a short interval, but definately an interval, especially with the taxi problem being illustrated.

17. Tusk

Tusk Back in the Game DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 14, 2002
    Hey, no problem at all. I was never really expecting any credit. I was just wanting to let you know it might be better to write all parts of the question outside the reply box. And by the way, the channel question was not there me because I thought that only asking about screen size and technology sure made for an easy question. :D