Amazing Race Contest Winner and Season 7 prize announce

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Danny R, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    cdru, for the second straight season, has captured the prize and won The Amazing Race Contest! He wins a 20gb ipod. Congratulations.

Mark Lamutt places 2nd. Ric third.

THIS WEEKS RESULTS

CUMULATIVE RESULTS

Coming up for next time:

The Grand Prize:
    Dish Depot will be offering a $200 gift certificate usable for anything in their store. Many thanks to them for their generous gift!

Second place prize will be a $50 gift certificate to an online retailer of your choice.

Rules will be posted tommorrow. First moves will be available wed night. Make certain you participate in the preliminary poll as well.

This season's contest is an Official DBSTalk sponsored event. Usual rules thus apply, including being able to win only one DBSTalk contest each year. Previous unofficial Amazing Race contests do not qualify.

2. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Congratulations, cdru! Guess we all know who to gun for next time, eh?

And great job again, running this, Danny. Looking forward to the next one! :)

3. mwgiii

mwgiii Gaming Guru and Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    Congrats cdru!

So much for my amazing come-from-last-to-first strategy.:lol:

4. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Thanks. I know I already had a few guns aimed at me judging from some of the yield choices the last few weeks. I though I had won from my preliminary data, but then found a bunch of mistakes that I made so I wasn't sure. I started getting worried when Danny posted his hints yesterday as my data (even after correcting it), still didn't jive completely with his hints.

I'm looking forward to getting the iPod. Maybe then I'll be able to see what all the hoopla is over with these things. Maybe it will motivate me to go rip all my CDs I never listen too anymore.

I thought about taking a break, sitting this next season out, and letting someone else win. But Danny gave me a challenge to make it a three-pete. I wouldn't want to disappoint him ya know. :)

Thanks again to Danny for running the race. I didn't always agree with your interpretations, but you did a great job. And thanks to everyone else for giving me a run for they money...er iPod.

5. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    i'm considering playing this next time, but never looked at how you play it before, and I don't watch the show until Friday nights. Would this effect my play?

6. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Not really. Each week you are required to answer a few questions, along with a detour question. Your answers are timed from the point when you first start, to when you hit submit. Knowledge of the prior week's show isn't required, but it would be foolish not to watch before answering. The deadline to answer usually is Monday at midnight EST, so not watching until Friday isn't a problem. I usually enter Monday sometime as most of the "spoiling" is done by then and I can make an educated guess on some of the questions.

Knowledge of how the show operates and past seasons isn't required, but could be beneficial. If you haven't seen past seasons, don't let it discourage you. Prior to season 5, I had seen exactly 1 1/2 episodes. And I still won. The key to win is part luck and part logic. You also may gain a slight advantage by visiting some of the "spoiler" sites but there hasn't been a lot of true spoilers lately. Far more valuable information can be gathered from the promo clips shown on TV and AOL. I know I use them, I'm pretty sure Mark at least reads up on them, but others like Saulres refuse to even watch the "Coming up next week" clip.

I would look back on past questions to get a feel for what things are usually asked. In past contests there is always a Who comes in first/last question, a question about how the detour or roadblock is performed (who does the task, what teams go the minority route, etc), a question about the race (time differential between first/last, how much money they get, etc), and two detours. Of course Danny might change things this season but I would count on seeing some of these types of questions this season as well.

7. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    I've seen the last three AR seasons, so I've seen the show, just not played Danny's contest. I don't like to be spoiled so will avoid that. Likely won't win, but maybe it shall be fun. :)

8. Ric

Ric Godfather DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 26, 2002
    I think I will skip this next season's contest. I think you really have to stay up to date on the spoiler sites to win it and that just 'spoils' the show for me. I got lucky this contest with the FF right at the end but still couldn't do much the last week.

9. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    Well, maybe Danny needs to make sure that spoilers won't help! :D

While Danny is at it, my car needs washing. ;)

10. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Well, maybe Danny needs to make sure that spoilers won't help!

Actually I don't think they do all that much, or at least not in the manner most expect.

Unlike the survivor contest, where spoilers allow you to guess who gets booted each week, Amazon doesn't have as many such predictions. If you look at cdru's score's for the standard questions asking who gets eliminated and comes in first, you can see that he generally missed as many as he got correct.

Where cdru excelled was in mastering the logic of the game. In questions where multiple answers were possible, he usually picked choices that limited his penalties. In detour questions where speed wasn't a factor, he took the time to research the answers to get the best possible result. That combined with generally quick fingers helped.

Spoilers did play a factor in a few detour questions, because I generally base detour questions about locations seen in the next week's preview, and a studious player can go ahead and research the areas and thus get a bit of a head start by knowing where to look. I'll try and avoid those sorts of questions as best I can, but twice last season the spoiler sites spoiled my answers AFTER I'd already posted the questions.

I would look back on past questions to get a feel for what things are usually asked. In past contests there is always a Who comes in first/last question, a question about how the detour or roadblock is performed (who does the task, what teams go the minority route, etc), a question about the race (time differential between first/last, how much money they get, etc), and two detours. Of course Danny might change things this season but I would count on seeing some of these types of questions this season as well.

Definately some great advice. Most of the questions have been posted under each week's topic. Generally I spend most of my time trying to think up detour questions. The standard ones only vary somewhat.

11. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Quiet. Your giving away all my secrets.[​IMG] TAR Producers have done a very good job somehow keeping people quiet. Usually the only spoilers that come out is that someone might have seen a pair of racers at an airport. But there is no guarantee as to if they are real, decoys, or already eliminated. Rumor has it that towards the final legs, the eliminated racers still travel more or less in the paths of the remaining racers just to throw the scent off.

The only time that spoiling really comes into play were "Question 3" type questions, where there was some type of question about who did some type of task. All that really is taken from the after show preview, one or two different commercials, and the AOL preview. I don't consider previews to be spoilers, but I know some people do.

What was the second time? I knew about the soap box derby one, but what was the other one?

12. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    I identified Igen (sp?) castle before any of the spoiler sites did so. I was quite impressed with myself for doing so, but didn't want to post to the main spoiler board because I thought the question I asked was good and I didn't want to give it away.

As for the soap box derby, that was bad luck. I thought I was just finding a generic soap box tournament, but it turned out I picked the same organization that TAR used. ;)

13. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Another spoiler that came out last season for one of your detour questions - when they were in China, one of the boards talked about the landmark tower in the city. I had that page for that tower pulled up before I started that week's questions, and sure enough, you asked what the height of the landing on that tower was.

14. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    It doesn't matter a whole lot anymore, but several interesting things were revealed recently in an interview with Aaron and Hayden about last season.

Lena and Christy missed not one, two, or even three clues unrolling the hay bales, but rather four clues. I feel bad for them for being eliminated, but not nearly as bad now that I know that they just didn't see them. I felt a lot more for them when I thought that they just had the worlds worse luck.

Also, when Hayden struggled so much with those locks in the last episode in China, she actually broke two keys and had the correct lock EIGHT times, but never turned the lock the correct way. She spent 4 hours trying to get it. Adam and Rebecca got the lock right at 7:00, the last chance. Up until that time, H/A were planning on trying to just beat A/R to the finish line and take the penalty since both teams would have gotten equivalent penalties.

And for those who were Gus fans, he as a book out. He actually set a world record by being the first person to fly to fly an open cockpit plane to the north pole and back.

15. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    See now? This is the kind of info I wish they'd share during the show, instead of interminable scenes of players getting into cabs...

Thanks for posting this!

16. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    See what you guys miss by not reading the spoiler forums!

Seriously though, I know some of you don't visit those forums because you don't want to be spoiled. If you like to hear this type of stuff after the fact, let me know and I'll be happy to pass it on when I hear it. I don't generally share spoilers here though that actually would spoil.

17. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    A few other things came out from an interview with Rebecca:

During the locks roadblock, she was unlocking locks for 6 hours before she got it at the very last moment.

At the Ikea store, she and Adam were sorting/counting for 4 hours

And since it's hard to imagine, she and Adam are no longer a couple although she is still friends.

The best part is her webpage though, at www.rebeccacardon.net. Check out the gallary. Pictures are almost Danny Avatar worthy ;)

18. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Pictures are almost Danny Avatar worthy

:righton:

19. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Hayden's site isn't too shaby either.