1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazing Race: OAD 11-30-08

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by jodyguercio, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Dec 1, 2008 #1 of 34
    jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Toni and Dallas are gone.
    He must feel like crap knowing he lost all their money like that. They were the only team that couldve been a serious threat to one of the three final times.
    Nick and Starr are going to have a little competition but I think they'll be the winners.

2. Dec 1, 2008 #2 of 34
    Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    The money is one thing - What the heck do you do about the lost passport? I also can't belive those two idiots (college guys) made it yet another week.

3. Dec 1, 2008 #3 of 34
    Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Totally agree Jody... I am sure that is going to bother the person for a while. I have to say... Very weak final 3 and if the frat boys win I will be totally shocked, but given how Random the show has become I would not be too surprised.

Couple of comments...
    The speed bump was totally lame. I am sorry but even with the second dance I would not consider that acceptable. It was more for laughs and though it is hard to get a time line, It sure did not appear to be that big of a penalty.

Frat boy makes a guess of 62..hmmmm.

I do like that the partners go to another area so they could not provide instructions.. So why allow someone to bring a local in to do the same thing? They really need to make people do challanges on their own.

Also, The lady that refused to give one team the envelope. Wonder how she knew and that is a bit different than in the past. Usually they get dinged at the mat or sometime not (Very inconsistent in my opinion). Don't get me wrong, I like that she did and that should be the case always in my opinion.

I also loved the 10 minute penalty for guessing wrong. There was a challenge earlier on in the season where people just randomly guessed. They should always assess a penalty for getting it wrong. My guess is they made this adjustment because of the earlier challenge but could be wrong.

Basically I saw two positive steps made in game play. I hope they keep it up by adding penalties for guessing and for not doing as the clue states. They also need to not allow local participation. The Frat boy would have never gotten out of the park if that was the case.

As for sharing info between member. Fair game.. Just think that pulling locals in to do the task is stepping over the line and always have been.

4. Dec 1, 2008 #4 of 34
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    What kind of a guardian angel is sitting on those frat boys shoulder????

5. Dec 1, 2008 #5 of 34
    Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Just goes to show.. A lot of luck is involved and given the external influences at work (How the show is done) they can be your angel (i.e. the lame speedbump the guys were given).

Have to say Brother and Sister team have their act together.

6. Dec 1, 2008 #6 of 34
    jodyguercio

Aug 16, 2007
    Good question. What does happen at that point? I bet the camera crew or someone with the show found the cabbie after the fact and got it back but still.

7. Dec 1, 2008 #7 of 34
    spunkyvision

spunkyvision Godfather

Oct 12, 2006
    This is the first time I have watched the Amazing Race. Is this the final show? Or is there a final 2?

8. Dec 1, 2008 #8 of 34
    jodyguercio

Aug 16, 2007
    Next week will be the season finale. Good show huh?

9. Dec 1, 2008 #9 of 34
    Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Is the final one or two nights. Can't remember if it spans over two weeks?

10. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Next Sunday, Dec 7, is the 1 hour season finale.

11. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Can't believe both the dork team and the infidelity team are in the final 3.

I have a bad feeling Nick and Star are gonna lose.

12. Charise

Charise AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2004
    I thought it was interesting that they didn't give the time that each team left. It's the first time I've noticed that--ever.

Barring taxi troubles, N&S should do well, but we've seen how the taxi drivers can lose the race for teams. I hope that doesn't happen this season.

13. Wayne

Wayne AllStar

Jul 1, 2003
    I noticed that as well. They must have had a production problem or else Moscow is an extremely dangerous place to film at night so they moved the start to the daytime.

I was pulling for Toni and Dallas. I think a lot of people can learn from this mother/son relationship. She did not blame him but showed pride in her son. She deserves mother of the year. And Dallas was very respectful toward his mother during the race.

14. mhendrixsr

mhendrixsr AllStar

Nov 17, 2007
    I was really hopeful that we'd be watching a close finish between Nick & Star and Toni & Dallas. Those were the teams that should have been in the final leg. Alas, it's not to be so now we'll have to watch the "bumbling boobs" (frat boys) try to find someone to solve their problems for them. And the "infidelity team" argue over which one of them is right (usually the woman of course). We can only hope that while the "bumblers" are bumbling and the "infidelity team" is bickering that Nick & Star are are the first ones home.

15. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    What probably happened with the passports is that they went to the US Embassy and got new passports issued. So how would they be able to prove who they were? I'm willing to bet that the show does something similar to what the group my daughter is with.

A couple of years ago, my younger daughter went on a 20-day trip with People To People Student Ambassadors to Fiji, New Zealand and Australia. Next year she's going to Japan. The people running the trip for the group *all* have copies of the kid's passports - simple photocopies of the information page. I'm sure that the show's producers do something similar.

Remember, losing one's passport is probably not exactly a unique event so American embassies most likely have well-worn and time-honored protocols for handling the situation.

16. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Well Nick and Starr deserve to win as much as they've dominated, but personally i'm sick of seeing them win all the time so who do I root for? Ken and Tina? Sorry just can't do it. The way they let the fact that he cheated on her define their whole relationship (she has a chip on his shoulder, he's trying desperately to make it up to her) is just soooooo tiresome! Now normally the frat boys could be a fun underdog team to root on, but they're both such bumbling idiotic buffoons that I can't feel good about rooting for them either. So I guess if N & S win at least i'll feel the best team won. If the frat boys win i'll be able to think well what do ya know, look who just used up their lifetime's worth of good luck. And if Ken and Tina win.....well ultimately that money will probably end up in a couple of lawyer's pockets i'd guess but at least they'll be the he!! off my tv screen!

17. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    I am sure it is not that difficult to get a passport replaced, especially in a city the size of Moscow. I imagine the embassy is fully equipped to do just about anything . I bet they do have a copy and one of the producers probably can act as an envoy, plus the passport pictures are scanned in by the govt I think, so they can always compare that to the actual people. Plus, they had plenty of time to work it out not being in the race any more. ;)

18. Wayne

Wayne AllStar

Jul 1, 2003
    When they showed the preview for next's week show with Phil waiting on the mat for the winning team to appear and the eliminated teams to the sides, I didn't see Toni or Dallas. I was wondering if it took a little longer for them to get new passports and ended up missing the plane to the final pit stop. I haven't viewed the extended preview on the website. If anyone has, do you see them there? Just curious.

19. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    I don't think losing the money cost them as much as taking the wrong method of transport. The passport issue could have been ugly going forward, but it didn't cost them in this leg.

20. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I'm not so sure that Toni & Dallas made it back for the finale....

While replacing the US Passport is probably a quick and simple operation - US Embassy Procedures - replacing the Russian Travel Visa is no walk in the park and could strand a traveller for up to 20-days - US Embassy info on lost/expired Russian Visas

Now the reason the pack with the passport and money was lost really sucks.... There's no info on how long they were stuck in Russia.