Amazing Race Talk-LEG 12 & 13 (9/21)

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Mark Holtz, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    [size=+1]First off, I would like to thank Danny R for running the Amazing Race contest.[/size]

Taxis are the recommended form of public transportation; however, the following safeguards are important: do not enter a taxi if it has already accepted another passenger, and request that the meter be used. If the driver is unwilling to comply with your requests, it is best to wait for another cab. It is also a good idea to make a mental note of the license plate number should there be a problem. When driving in the city, make certain that the doors are locked and the windows rolled up. All other forms of public transportation, such as the light rail system, buses, and “jeepneys” should be avoided for both safety and security reasons.

On the two-hour series finale of the fifth Amazing Race:
    [size=+2]You Just Made Me A Millionaire![/size]
    • The Final Four Teams enter the two final legs of the Race. Feeling the pressure, one Team lies to another Team and leads them astray in order to gain a crucial lead. Will it work? How will the last minute, cutthroat strategies affect the race to the finish?
    • Teams must push themselves through pain and exhaustion on a grueling 150-foot rope climb up a towering rock face that becomes one of the most intense Roadblocks in the history of THE AMAZING RACE.
    • One Racer has a severe emotional breakdown after a series of crashes during a final leg Detour.
    • After 72,000 miles of travel, Teams reach the end city. Every move, every minute, every decision can mean the difference between $1 million and second place during a very tight Race to the finish line. Find out who will with THE AMAZING RACE!
    The series premiere of the sixth Amazing Race is October 2nd. Catch it by setting up a wish list of Show Types/Game Show & "AMAZING RACE".

2. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    that becomes one of the most intense Roadblocks in the history of THE AMAZING RACE.

Just curious, but has there ever been a time when a contestant found themselves totally unable to complete a roadblock? I'm wondering what might happen. Can the other contestant choose to do it instead, or once you select your person, are you stuck, and if you dont finish you just don't finish and are eliminated -- as happened when the brothers couldn't finish the egyptian detour this season?

3. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Not yet. Marshall & Lance were the first to give up on a roadblock, but it's hard to tell. The roadblock was next to the pit stop.

4. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Well, I have to say that I'm very satisfied with the ending this time around. Finally, a team won that I really wanted to win this thing. And good for them for finding that flight from Calgary and getting on it the night before! Way to go!

Not to mention it was very cool to see the Denver airport there on the way! Now I want to know how long it took the teams to get through immigration - in Denver, it usually takes a fair amount of time to get through the lines. And, I thought it was really funny that the editing made it appear that Colin and Christie had to really rush to make that American flight in the next terminal, but they obviously stopped at the top of the escalators coming up from the train to pick up the McDonalds. That was priceless! For those of you that have never been in Denver, you have to travel by underground train between the terminals. Takes about 3 minutes to get between them once you're on the train, and trains run about every 3 minutes or so.

5. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Departure from pit stop 11:
    1. Chip & Kim (FP-1 7 11, LP-10, YU-11) - 3:46 AM
    2. Linda & Karen (LP-5 6) - 3:54 AM
    3. Brandon & Nicole (FP-2 11, LP-9) - 3:57 AM
    4. Colin & Christie (FP-3 5 6 8-10, LP-11, FF#1-5, YR-11) - 4:02 AM
    Time Differential: 16 Minutes
    Money given: $17

El Nido-10:45 AM: Chip & Kim, Brandon & Nicole
    El Nido-11:30 AM: Linda & Karen, Colin & Christie

Two try: Chip & Kim, Brandon & Nicole, Linda & Karen
    Third try: Colin & Christie

Departure from pit stop 12:
    1. Brandon & Nicole (FP-2 11 12, LP-9) - 3:16 AM
    2. Chip & Kim (FP-1 7 11, LP-10, YU-11) - 3:40 AM
    3. Colin & Christie (FP-3 5 6 8-10, LP-11 12, FF#1-5, YR-11) - 3:46 AM
    4. Linda & Karen (LP-5 6)
    Time Differential: 30 minutes
    Money Given: $630

Arrival at finish line:
    • Chip & Kim (FP-1 7 11, LP-10, YU-11)
    • Colin & Christie (FP-3 5 6 8-10, LP-11 12, FF#1-5, YR-11)
    • Brandon & Nicole (FP-2 11 12, LP-9)

6. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    I was rooting for the Bowling Moms and Chip & Kim to win the race.

Unfortunately, I have been through Denver only once, and it was at the old airport. It was a domestic flight too.

7. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Both my wife and I almost simultaneously thought out loud how great it would be for C/K to impersonate C/C and steal their taxi...then leave C/C wandering around looking for their "express" cab. As it ended up it wasn't needed, but I so despise C/C. I was also hoping that a cop would nail the taxi driver for his driving habits...or at least a flat tire.

And what ever happened to the Tee Pee spoiler in Canada...

8. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Ditto. Usually it's like "Well, every team I was rooting for was eliminated before the final week. Guess I'll watch it anyway." This time -- all the way, baby!

Ditto again! It was nice to see the local airport be part of this. We played along, finishing the train's "This is Councourse..." recording, trying to guess which councourses they were headed for, and looking to see if I recognized anyone in the backgrounds.

Now, how about the stupidity of checking bags? I mean, c'mon, how often is it "quickest out of the airport wins", why would anyone in their right mind check a bag on the final leg of the race? Ditch your stuff, carry it, or ship it to your house. Don't friggin' check it!

Good move on Colin's part, getting that cab driver. If they had gotten there at the same time as Chip/Kim, they probably would've won. And to get there at the same time -- they shouldn't have checked their bags. It all comes down to that one decision.

Gotta get some sleep. Talk to you all tomorrow!

9. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    I wanted them to win as well. I love Chip and Kim and think they're the best. (Well, I love them as much as one can having only seen them on TV--just saying I think they're fantastic.)

Also, I called it from Episode One that they would win--I knew it--two smart, older people who ran their own business? I figured a shoe in.

10. invaliduser88

invaliduser88 Welcome to Torchwood DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Next Race Starts October 2nd!

11. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Actually, it doesn't. It's been pushed back to the end of October/beginning of November. Exact date hasn't been published yet.

12. invaliduser88

invaliduser88 Welcome to Torchwood DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    That sucks....

13. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    My first preference would have been to ship it home if you really want to keep the stuff, but Colin and Christie likely didn't have enough money, especially for an international delivery. Checking might not have been a bad idea if you knew you weren't going to be switching flights as you wouldn't have to pick up the luggage immediately. Just leave it on the carousel and try to get it later from the lost&found department. You might loose it by theft, but you would be no worse off then just throwing the stuff away.

With as big as some of the back packs were, I was suprised that they were able to carry them all on at all on the commercial flights.

I think it would be interesting to see how much stuff goes on in the background that gets edited out. Spoiler sights had at least 2 detours or roadblocks that weren't shown.

Do the non-winning contestants get any type of consolation prizes or smaller amounts of money? ...Other then a free trip around the world.

14. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    The Amazing Schedule Shuffle. Comsidering that it won it's second Emmy (over Survivor, no less) and was a summer hit, CBS may want to put it on a better night should a hour-long series fail.

Now, for a cable channel to show the older Survivors and Amazing Races.

15. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Since I don't watch or look for any spoilers (and not a bad performance for someone who doesn't do that, huh? Picked the final 3 at week 7 and the correct placement of the final 4 teams), could you describe these? I'm really surprised they don't show those. Or point me to the spoiler sites, if they don't have spoilers for anything other than the show that just concluded?

16. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Here is the biggest one and would have fallen into last night's last leg that was cut. The photos were posted last week but a written account of their activities was posted here back in early July back when things were just beginning.

Some of the spoiler sites are interesting to read as they break down every episode into the littlest of details. Even before the episode aired, it was known what flights most likely everyone had, just from time tables and delayed flights on that day.

17. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Really interesting. Thanks for sharing that.

18. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    I suspect that the roadblock was cut because the setup for the checked baggage had to be shown, otherwise once they got to Denver and ran into the FAA problems, it would have made no sense. So, cut the roadblock segment that really didn't change anything in the race anyways (ie no positions changed) and show the baggage setup instead.

From the positions that the teams entered and exited the roadblock, it must have happened before the snowshoe hike up to the contenintal divide.

cdru - what sites do you read? I'd love to go back and read them now that I've seen the episodes to "read the details"...

19. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    I check out Reality TV World and Survivor Sucks. Both sites I think are well run and easy to use. They don't have nearly as much noise as what some of other sites do. If there is something that "breaks" on another forum, it gets posted quickly on these two as well.

20. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    The CBS web site says "Thursday, October 2nd". Something not right since Survivor and CSI are both top 10 shows for CBS. They would be putting it against ER.