Amazing Race Talk-LEG 8 (8/24)

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Mark Holtz, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Some of the more recent bombings on Zanzibar have targeted establishments that may be perceived by certain fundamentalist elements to be ‘decadent.' Although to date the targets have been bars not generally frequented by Westerners, American travelers should be aware that such attacks have occurred and the possibility exists that future attacks may not be limited to establishments patronized exclusively by locals. In the past, there have also been published threats in some Zanzibar newspapers warning that women who dress immodestly may be subject to harassment. American citizens are advised to dress modestly and to refrain from intemperate public behavior.

On the next episode of The Amazing Race:
    [size=+2]I'm Going To Jail[/size]
    • The teams travel to Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
    • In a close race to the airport, car problems strand two Teams on the roadside. Will the other Teams stop to help?
    • After a fight with a cab driver, Colin is hauled off to the local police station for questioning, threatened with being thrown in jail.
    • The stress of travel leads one Team member to say to the other, "I want a different relationship."
    • Chip & Kim face a tricky situation when they realize they are short on money and can't pay their cab driver.
    • Adrenaline, speed and adventure await the Teams at a daring Detour in Dubai.

2. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Geezzzzzz....... any nominations for the ugly American team award? Chip and Kim certainly don't qualify, and the Bowling Moms probably come in close second.

3. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    I see Colin and Christie as having a great future together both later in the race and in life. Their relationship is built on a solid foundation of communication, understanding, and respect, and trust.

Hold on a second while I go yell at my wife then expect her to apologize to me...

Of the people who are left, I'm not sure who I want to win. I don't think any of them deserve to win any more. I would have loved to see Colin get tossed in jail. I'm sure that African safety regulations require that donuts not be used for tires on long trips. :nono2:

4. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    "Yeah, I'm wrong but you should completely support me even when I'm wrong! I think I want a different relationship..."

That pretty much sums it up. He was just a real ****head...

5. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    And the sad part was that after they finished the leg first, she DID apologize and blamed herself for being upset.

On the bright side, a hot former pageant queen babe is probably on the market now. ;-)

6. JBKing

JBKing Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    What actually happened? A storm caused a signal loss during this part. I saw up to where the Police Chief was 'inviting' Colin to step inside 'to talk'. Then blue screen, and Colin was back in second place.

7. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    The police chief (or at least highest ranking police officer there) kept saying come inside and sit down. Christie was outside begging Colin to just pay the $100 while Colin kept insisting that he shouldn't because it was unsafe and he had a verbal contract that he would pay $100 if the driver kept them in their current position (2nd I beleive). Since they had the blow out and lost their position, Colin was only offering half.

The chief asked for the written contract saying $100 would be paid if the position was held. Since Colin didn't have one, the chief said I have to beleive you (Colin) and I have to beleive the driver. He said the judge would have to sort it out. Proving once again a verbal agreement is worth the paper it's written on.

It got down to about 1.5 hours before their flight or there abouts and I think that Colin realized that if he kept going it was going to get a lot more serious so he just threw the money on the ground and walked out.

The best part of the whole thing was some type of a guard was leaning on a gate laughing as Colin walked past and Colin said something like "yeah go ahead and laugh".

Colin made all the jerks in the world look good in comparison to his attitude. I told my wife that he should have pulled that stunt in Dubai and seen how far it would have gotten him. I was suprised that Chip got away with what he did, but Chip was a lot more personable. Chip also isn't obviously a "rich white male in the middle of nowhere" so that might have helped.

Does anyone know if TAR film crew pays locals for "accidents" to happen like running out of gas (semi-understandable in the middle of Africa) or running out of oil (please). You think that if some American film crew paid you to be waiting to pick up there people that you would have a car in good running order, gas, etc.

8. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002

After this episode, the thought had crossed my mind that maybe the producers knew that some of the cabs had some problems and let it be luck of the draw as to who would pick which cab.

9. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Departure from pit stop:
    1. Chip & Kim (FP-1 7) - 2:42 AM
    2. Colin & Christie (FP-3 5 6, FF#1-5) - 3:00 AM
    3. Linda & Karen (LP-5 6) - 3:06 AM
    4. Brandon & Nicole (FP-2) - 3:10 AM
    5. Kimi & Karlie (LP-2 4 7) - 3:12 AM
    Time Differential: 30 Minutes
    Money given: $200

Charter #1 (8:00 AM): Chip & Kim, Brandon & Nicole
    Charter #2 (9:30 AM): Kimi & Karlie, Colin & Christie
    Charter #3 (10:30 AM): Linda & Karen

Arrival at pit stop:
    1. Colin & Christie (FP-3 5 6 8, FF#1-5)
    2. Brandon & Nicole (FP-2)
    3. Chip & Kim (FP-1 7)
    4. Linda & Karen (LP-5 6)
    5. Kimi & Karlie (LP-2 4 7 8) :shrug: