Amazing Race Talk-LEG 9 (8/31)

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Mark Holtz, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Country-wide traffic laws (in the UAE) impose stringent penalties for certain violations, particularly driving under the influence of alcohol. Penalties may include hefty jail sentences and fines, and, for Muslims (even those holding U.S. citizenship), lashings. Persons involved in an accident in which another party is injured automatically go to jail until the injured person is released from the hospital. Should a person die in a traffic accident, the driver of the other car is liable for payment of compensation for the death (known as "dhiyya"), usually the equivalent of 41,000 U.S. dollars. Even relatively minor accidents may result in lengthy proceedings, during which both drivers may be prohibited from leaving the country.

On the next episode of The Amazing Race:
    [size=+2]If You're Gonna Whine, Just Shut Up![/size]
    • The teams travel to the Victoria Memorial Hall in Calcutta, India.
    • Halfway to the airport, two Teams realize they have made serious tactical errors that force them to retrace their steps. Will they be left in the dust?
    • Linda & Karen get into a dispute with a local cab driver, who gets the local police involved.
    • Infighting plagues a couple of Teams, who struggle to complete the Roadblock. Frustration with a partner's performance leads one Racer to exclaim, "You know, I could do that much better than you!"
    • One Team chooses to go for the Fast Forward but is shocked to learn they must shave their heads. Will they do it and take the Fast Forward?

2. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    I'm willing to bet it's the twins who are going to go for the fast forward. I doubt it would be Chip and Kim. After all, he doesn't need a haircut.

3. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    However, Chip and Kim are already 1/2 way there so don't count them out yet. I don't see Brandon, Nicole, or Christie shaving their heads. I think it will be either Chip and Kim or the twins leaning more towards Chip/Kim.

4. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Since spoiler warnings are no longer needed...

Well, the team who I thought might go for the fast forward decided not to. But, gee wiz, some of these challanges remind me of a ski event in the Winter Olympics where you are racing around a ski course, and, at several stops along the way, have to shoot at several targets. Each miss requires you to ski around a loop that takes up 20 seconds.

Of all the countries that the Amazing Race has gone to, India has to rank at the top of countries that I least likely want to visit.

5. BillRadio

BillRadio Legend

Aug 5, 2004
    I took a course on India in college, and the Number ONE rule you remember is don't offer your right hand to shake hands! In rural India the right hand is used for ...ahem.. sanitary purposes, and to offer yours is indeed offensive. Only one little kid accepted a handshake, eeew.

However, knowing basics like these, I think it would be fascinating to visit a culture so different. Of course, it's not where I would go to relax and kick back on the beach.

6. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Departure from pit stop:
    1. Colin & Christie (FP-3 5 6 8, FF#1-5) - 10:51 PM
    2. Brandon & Nicole (FP-2) - 11:27 PM - 11:27 PM
    3. Chip & Kim (FP-1 7) - 11:41 PM
    4. Linda & Karen (LP-5 6) - 11:42 PM
    5. Kimi & Karlie (LP-2 4 7 8) - 12:14 PN
    Time Differential: 1:23
    Money given: $55

Arrival at pit stop:
    1. Colin & Christie (FP-3 5 6 8 9, FF#1-5)
    2. Chip & Kim (FP-1 7)
    3. Linda & Karen (LP-5 6)
    4. Kimi & Karlie (LP-2 4 7 8)
    5. Brandon & Nicole (FP-2, LP-9) :contract: