1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazon Echo Dot in a car - best infotainment system

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by phrelin, Jul 13, 2017.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    In I installed an Amazon Echo Dot in a car and it was the best infotainment system I've ever used writer Cork Gaines tells us:

I ordered another Dot and installed it in my car. So far, it has turned out to be the best $35 I have spent in a long time.​

Of course, his vehicle "has several USB ports, a Bluetooth stereo, and built-in WiFi" and I'm not sure about his comment "it is easy to imagine this would also work with a lighter socket adapter, the Echo Dot's own speaker, and tethering to a phone as a hotspot." I have a feeling his vehicle WiFi in the Austin, Texas, area is more reliable than my phone is inside my car driving around in the mountains here.

Nevertheless, it's a neat idea.

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Makes me wonder how much broadband (BB) a "hotspot" will use up in a car. I guess if you have unlimited BB it would be worth using.

Rich

3. cpalmer2k

cpalmer2k New Member

May 24, 2010
    It's funny this came up, I actually have been contemplating the same thing for my wife's car. She just got a great deal on a new car, but she misses her satellite radio that the old one had built in. There isn't any convenient way to cleanly connect a satellite radio in the car because of the antenna and the way the console is made, and I don't really want her playing with apps going down the road. It has CarPlay, but they don't support SiriusXM as of now. It does however have a nice deep cell phone compartment that is plenty big enough for a Dot, complete with auxillary input and power source right underneath the radio. It also has built in Broadband ($20 a month for unlimited, up to 22gb). I told her it would be really simply to hook up a Dot, connect it via the AUX input and just use it to access the Sirius XM, iHeart Radio and TuneIn apps to find whatever music she wants to listen to.

4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I'm sure they'll go on sale again, but Prime Day had the dots at $35. I got another one. But I wasn't thinking about a car. Might be an interesting twist to our next road trip.

5. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I think I'd rather have your mountains than reliable cell service. ;)