Amazon interest in direct tv

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Tritron, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Tritron

Tritron Member

Dec 7, 2019
    Do you guys think amazon will ever be interested in buying direct tv. It seems that would great if we had dvr build around amazon recast. Using firetv and firesticks as genes replacement. From technology perspective it could be used to deliver prime movies shows to population of people who dont have high speed internet.

2. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    ATT isn’t selling Directv so the point is mute

3. Tritron

Tritron Member

Dec 7, 2019
  4. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    [​IMG]

5. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Thats from September ATT has stated several times since then they arent selling

6. wmb

wmb Godfather

Dec 17, 2008
    What's in it for Amazon?

DVRs are obsolete. Firesticks and all external streaming devices for that matter are obsolete/redundant.

Amazon has AWS. They have server farms. They aren't in the business of the last mile.

7. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    AT&T won’t sell it, they’ll spin it off eventually. I can’t imagine Amazon wanting any part of a business that is dying a long slow death.

8. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Say what? On pretty much everything you said lol...

How do you watch tv without a DVR or streaming device?

Haven't you heard of Amazon Prime? And all of Amazons other consumer facing businesses?

AZ. likes this.
  9. wmb

wmb Godfather

Dec 17, 2008
    Today's smart TVs have streaming devices built in. You can install Netflix, Hulu, You Tube TV, etc. apps on them. No need for a Roku or other streaming device. Heck, you don't even need a DirecTV genie client with a lot of the new smart TVs. Older TVS (5 years old or so) may still need these appurtenances.

On demand content has made DVRs obsolete. Using a DVR is the equivalent of sending a fax. Most offices still have fax machines, and some may even use them, but they are outdated. DVDs and Blue Rays fall into the same category.

Who knows, though... Vinyl is making a comeback.

Maybe the word depricated is better than obsolete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Isn't Amazon do try expand own business by dish ? There is APV channel with "amzn" nick name ...

11. gvc

gvc New Member

Sep 13, 2012
    hopper 3 now has amazon prime baked in

https://www.multichannel.com/news/amazon-prime-integrated-into-dish-hopper-3

12. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Smart TVs definitely have those apps. And I definitely have no interest in using them. I thought we put this to rest some time ago.

Rich

the2130, mjwagner and Athlon646464 like this.
  13. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Yeah, they have them, and with luck might even keep the apps up to date.
    I don’t use them as I like the full audio experience which often includes Atmos and the TVs are hit or miss about Atmos sound support and the soundbars/avrs are sometimes hinky with doing Atmos via ARC.
    The best version of the apps and keeping them that way is to use a streaming device.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mjwagner, compnurd and SledgeHammer like this.
  14. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Others already commented on it, but I'll chime in as well. I have a high end 2016 LG 4K OLED. Already 3 or 4 providers have dropped support for it. Hello, its a 3 yr old TV. Also, the remote and interface isn't exactly conducive to making streaming a daily driver.

compnurd likes this.
  15. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Same - I never use the apps on my LG - love our ATV (family room w/LG) and Roku (in bedroom and guest room). I don't see them going away anytime soon.

mjwagner and compnurd like this.
  16. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Agree with others. The apps built into the TV are junk. Also most OnDemand content has ads you can't skip. No thanks.

sparky27, mjwagner and SledgeHammer like this.
  17. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    I read an article about a month back that AT&T is very much interested in possibly selling DIRECTV. My guess is they are tired of having to deal with people constantly calling in to ask for discounts & what not. Because our bills are becoming unaffordable.

dreadlk likes this.
  18. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Yeh. No

19. Brad_73

Brad_73 New Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Southeast, GA
    As you have seen from several others already, you are far removed from reality. But I just had to chime in as well, feeling so strongly about how insanely WRONG you are about everything you said. The problem is, you just have no clue about how things work and quality of service. It is fine if you sit at your basic TV, watching your few basic streaming services. You save a lot of money and complexity.
    A lot of people have higher standards than that. Many want the best picture quality, with the full audio experience, and a variety of content. All while being easy to use, thru a control system. I know you probably won't understand this but it's ok. What I speak of is a multi-billion dollar a year industry, than many others enjoy the fruits of.

sparky27, dreadlk, mjwagner and 3 others like this.
  20. Tritron

Tritron Member

Dec 7, 2019