Amazon makes drone delivery in England

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by phrelin, Dec 14, 2016.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Amazon Prime Air's delivery by drone just became a reality according to a headline that offers the kicker Amazon's delivery drones program fulfills its first order -- an Amazon Fire TV and a bag of popcorn -- in 13 minutes. My initial thought was "Why? Whats the hurry?" That order could have been delivered by a paid worker on a bicycle. But when I read the article I discovered it still is just a test.

Then I read "The autonomous drones can carry packages up to five pounds, and they're guided by GPS." What possibly could go wrong with hundreds of autonomous drones flying around a city? Of course, this test was entirely in the countryside as seen in the video:

If this technology works, it does look like another smart way to put many of those blue collar UPS, FedEx, et al. delivery workers and their regional and local warehouse sorting compatriots out of work over the long term.

Fortunately for us, there is still our U.S. Mail delivery person who even delivers our Amazon Fresh orders weighing 40+ pounds out here in the countryside - well, on the mountainside - from 160 miles away, among the trees and PG&E electric, AT&T phone, and Comcast TV/ISP cables.

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I wonder how they would navigate thru the tangle of overhead wires in our area. I guess each drone has a "driver"? I hope they're not relying on just GPS.

Rich

3. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    They use the word "autonomous" and in the second video you can get a feel for it:

4. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'll watch it later, the wife is "working from home" and I won't be able to listen to it.

Rich

5. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Just watched it. I don't see how they'd get around the wires. I get how the drone works and all that, but the overhead wires that are so prevalent in our area...

Rich

6. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    We have the same problem plus we're in a forest. Of course, we also don't have an Amazon warehouse of any kind that would be less than two hours flying time, so I'm not going to worry about it. [​IMG]

7. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I recently ordered a Fire HD8 but I dint got no dam popcorns wit it!

8. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    I am waiting to hear reports about they being use for target practice.

Rich likes this.
  9. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Of course, Amazon doesn't have the delivery fleet (yet), but I think FedEx / UPS should equip selected trucks to drive to a neighborhood and release a dozen or so drones for short delivery / return for recharging and next package.

10. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Or they could continue to hand the package to me at my door. [​IMG]

11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The current tech is limited ... rolling drones out of the warehouse into open fields, landing them in empty rural yards or driveways. Marked delivery locations that the camera can recognize as being the spot where it should land.

Technology will need to improve to deliver to people without wide open spaces where the drone can land. At my house the drone would need to avoid a roof overhang to reach my porch ... but the drone could be given a place on my larger back porch as a landing space. Which would probably be a better place (inside a fence) if the drone could get there without hitting a tree, power wire or telephone wire.

I don't see how drones will work in urban areas where a person cannot get to a delivery point without opening a door. Perhaps more porch and balcony deliveries? But that assumes that people have some place where a drone could land. Dropping a box from altitude (even 10ft) would not be good.

12. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I could see this being handy if I lived in the middle of nowhere. Very handy. In town not so much.

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    To further this Drone thing, if they deliver something by drone to your home and it's something you didn't order, you get to keep it! Yup, it's a law. Seems the folks such as Amazon are bound by law not to deliver something to a home that wasn't ordered, so that gets twisted around to "you get to keep the mistake". I order a lot from Amazon and a couple, two three times a year stuff gets delivered to the wrong place. I just read about the Federal law, don't have a link for it.

Rich

14. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    39 U.S. Code § 3009 - Mailing of unordered merchandise

(a) Except for (1) free samples clearly and conspicuously marked as such, and (2) merchandise mailed by a charitable organization soliciting contributions, the mailing of unordered merchandise or of communications prohibited by subsection (c) of this section constitutes an unfair method of competition and an unfair trade practice in violation of section 45(a)(1) of title 15.
    (b) Any merchandise mailed in violation of subsection (a) of this section, or within the exceptions contained therein, may be treated as a gift by the recipient, who shall have the right to retain, use, discard, or dispose of it in any manner he sees fit without any obligation whatsoever to the sender. All such merchandise shall have attached to it a clear and conspicuous statement informing the recipient that he may treat the merchandise as a gift to him and has the right to retain, use, discard, or dispose of it in any manner he sees fit without any obligation whatsoever to the sender.
    (c) No mailer of any merchandise mailed in violation of subsection (a) of this section, or within the exceptions contained therein, shall mail to any recipient of such merchandise a bill for such merchandise or any dunning communications.
    (d) For the purposes of this section, “unordered merchandise” means merchandise mailed without the prior expressed request or consent of the recipient.

That is open to some interpretation. It is a law that prohibits marketing by sending unsolicited merchandise and then charging for it. Would a solicited package delivered to the wrong address be in violation of this marketing law?

The FTC has a FAQ that explains more ...
    Unordered Merchandise | Consumer Information

15. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    This was very popular with Columbia House back in the day, they will send you a free music CD (without owners consent) with instructions on how to subscribe to the club and get more CD's for "free", if you did not want to subscribe there were instructions on how to send the CD back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    One has to be careful not to "join the club" by buying an unsolicited product or entering a sweepstakes or in any way giving consent for further shipments that could be considered solicited.

I'd like to see the law covering mis-delivered packages. A package with your name or address on it could be considered a gift under the law above unless there was some prior agreement. But a package addressed to a neighbor or mis-delivered to "north main" when addressed to "south main"?

I would not expect a recipient of a mis-delivered package to put a lot of effort or any cost into returning a mis-delivered package. But I'd probably make some effort to do what I would hope someone else would do with my package.

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Thanx, James. The way I read what I found on the Net led me to believe that any packages left on your doorstep (and sent by a retailer) that was not ordered becomes a "gift". I don't see anything on the above entry to make me believe otherwise.

Rich

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yeah, if the address was near me I'd deliver it. Nothing I've read would make me do anything different. Still seems like stealing to me.

Rich

19. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I think the law was made for this exact purpose. Columbia House made it seem that by keeping the CD you will be automatically joining the club. Under this law you could keep the CD for free and not be worry about having to pay for the club or for the CD itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk