Amazon: The best in the business?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Chris Blount, Mar 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Does anyone else here think that Amazon in the bomb as far as online retailing? I have been buying products from Amazon for several years now and most of the time they have delivered on time. When I had to return something, it was very easy.

Also, ever since I became a Amazon Prime member, shipping has been dirt cheap (and free in most cases). With products that I ordered, I'm positive my Prime membership fee has been retuned back many times over. Heck, I ordered an iMac a while back and overnight shipping was only $3.99!

There are other retailers that are good but in my book, Amazon is the best because they are consistent and their prices are very reasonable.

2. Button Pusher

Button Pusher Icon DBSTalk Club

Jan 19, 2007
    The...
    I agree! Unfortunately I have to pay taxes on all Amazon purchases so the deal isn't always as sweet.:(

3. miedwards72

miedwards72 AllStar

Feb 23, 2007
    I have been shopping amazon for years. Most of the times they are cheaper than if you buy it in the store. Plus, if you have problems they are very good about fixing it. The shipping is also pretty good especially compared to ebay.

4. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    I am one of Amazon's biggest advocates. I've been buying from them for years and one time had an issue that was resolved instantly. I always find great deals and their free supersaver shipping always gets to me in two business days and sometimes even overnight. I guess that's a function of where I am relative to their distribution center, but hey, I'm not complaining.

I had "Prime" a few years ago when they were offering a three month trial or something like that but it didn't speed up shipping (See above).

I was actually checking them out last night for DRM-free music downloads - I saw a lot of albums for $8.99 and it's compatible with my Linux distro...

5. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I love Amazon, been using it for many years now. Prices are usually decent, and not only can you find just about anything, but I've found stuff I didn't even know existed. I have these two items in my shopping cart, waiting to be checked out. No way in hell did I ever imagine I'd ever buy a tiffany lamp or a bed in a bag. I feel like so much less of a man.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I've really come to enjoy FansEdge, one of the many sports Amazon resellers. I've purchased a lot of authentic NFL and NHL RBK apparel, from there that's pretty tough to find at any normal store. No matter if I order form a reseller or Amazon directly, shipping is always fast, I don’t even both with tracking numbers after the first few purchases I learned it’s three days on the dot. Never had a problem with any Amazon order, Amazon is my first stop when I looking to buy just about anything. Maybe I won't buy it from Amazon, but I love the reviews. If I’m going to be making a decent sized purchase, I’d rather read reviews from real people and make a judgment for myself.

Oooooh I can't wait to get my new lamp :)

6. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    That lamp is grandfathered in under the "no weenie" clause of Man Code since it includes a pro sports team logo. Even though it's the wrong one. :lol:

What's with the new avatar?? Did I miss something in another thread...

7. SteveHas

SteveHas Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2007
    The team looks pretty sweet to me
    the providers in your avatar, not so much

8. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    :lol:

9. ibglowin

ibglowin Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 10, 2002
    Agreed 100%

We have Prime as well for the past year. I have been adding BD's and a few HD-DVDs the past year. All shipped free 2 day plus I got the 10% off all year and somehow still getting it even today. I am in the process of looking for a new TV to replace the 60" RPTV and will very likely be buying from Amazon. They are absolutley killing the B&M stores around here. They are evn now offering 12-18 mo free financing when you use the Amazon card. Add that in with no tax and free shipping and your looking at a savings of around $800 on the TV I am looking at.

10. Pinion413

Pinion413 Icon

Oct 20, 2007
    I would have to say that 95% of my online purchases are split pretty evenly between Amazon and NewEgg. 2 years ago it wasn't quite that even.

Especially within this past year, I have grown to like and use Amazon quite a bit. The best experience with a purchase from there was the 40" LCD set that's in our living room (Shipping was free);

Ordered Friday.
    Call from EGL on Monday to schedule the delivery.
    Tuesday, white glove delivery service. Let me open and inspect before I signed.

I would order anything from Amazon.

And, since you say it's totally worth it Chris, I'm going to have to sign up for Prime immediately. :grin:

11. dbconsultant

dbconsultant Hall Of Fame

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    We've been Amazon fans for years. Rarely have a problem and when we have - they fix it and prove that customer service isn't dead! I even order my electronics from them - a couple of years ago, I wanted to get my husband a widescreen lcd tv to take with us travelling. Primarily, I wanted it because we could never hear the usual, little tv's that people take travelling, even with speakers attached. So I did my homework, looked at Circuit City to decide what exactly I wanted and then ordered it from Amazon! Saved like $300 and no shipping/tax on top of that!

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I wish Amazon would have an estimator that would report the total $$$ purchased in the past year. I keep skipping signing up for Prime because "I don't buy that much". But perhaps I do?

Amazon is ocassionally beaten on the first few days of DVD release when stores put stuff out on sale through the Saturday/Sunday after release then jack up the prices. Of course a year later those movies are back on the $15 or $10 rack.

I'd like to see a eBay style site where people could "name their price" on stuff they wanted to buy and if anyone wanted to meet the price they would have a deal. For example, put the latest Harry Potter 2-disc set on the list for $15 firm. If anyone wanted to sell me that item for my price they could. Meanwhile they can continue to sell it to the "gotta have it now" people for $22. Eventually that title will be reduced to my price ... the website would simply notify me when the deal was available. (Eventually.)

The Amazon sellers thing is a good deal. Usually someone will come close or beat Amazon's price (including shipping) or Amazon's price will be so good that they get the direct sale. I've bought more third-party via Amazon than direct items ... an a lot more (item count) than via eBay.

13. photostudent

photostudent Godfather

Nov 8, 2007
    Amazon is great. Usually the best price around and cheap or free shipping. Their volume gets them massive discounts from shippers that they pass on. I am sure eBay could get the same discounts but let their sellers fend for themselves.

14. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I have only actually ever ordered one thing from Amazon.

I do just about all of my online shopping with newegg.com. I personally think they are a great.

15. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule!

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Looks like it's unanimous. Amazon and NewEgg Rock!:heybaby: :jumpingja

16. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Chris, you're 100% right. They're not perfect, they don't always have the right price, but they always seem to have great service and a great purchase experience.

They also have a huge number of affiliate stores and you would be surprised at the wide variety of merchandise. Personally I've bought cough syrup and power tools. (Not to mention a harmony remote).

17. sheureka

sheureka Legend

Dec 22, 2007
    I'm about 30 miles from any stores at all - and I shop Amazon at least a couple of times a week. Having Prime makes it super easy. I've bought everything from $4 cables that came with free delivery in two days to a 47-inch TV. I get coffee (and other stuff) delivered every month with free shipping and a 15% discount because of the monthly plan. And I have a Kindle, and the wireless instant delivery of books (and the Sunday NY Times!) is amazing. For me Prime is a no-brainer - especially with the cost of gas now. With a 60-mile round trip to even get to a BestBuy, Walmart, or RadioShack my annual Prime fee is easily paid in one month. - sheureka

18. ibglowin

ibglowin Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 10, 2002
    Folks,

Don't forget Prime can be shared among family and friends. Split the cost with them. All you have to do is invite them through Amazon to become Prime.

19. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I should do Prime. I buy a lot of CDs, and lately HD DVDs, from them. I just always get free shipping and accept getting things in a week or so.

But yes, I agree, Amazon is great. They aren't always the cheapest and they don't always have the widest or deepest stock, but I have never had one hint of problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.