Amazon's Project Kuiper Now Hiring

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by phrelin, Jan 20, 2020.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    According to Cord Cutters News:

Last year Amazon announced plans to offer high speed home Internet using low earth orbit satellites. Now Amazon seems to be on a bit of a hiring spree to build up its team as it awaits FCC approval to start launching satellites.

Amazon has 154 job openings. It looks like Amazon is hoping to expand its team as it prepares to offer high speed Internet worldwide. The most recent job postings seem to have been made on January 9, 2020, and include System Engineer and a Design Verification Manager to name a few of the newly opened job posts.​

Since they are waiting for FCC approval to launch 3,236 Low Earth Orbit satellites for low-latency, high-speed broadband connectivity to unserved and underserved communities around the world, I'm not sure about job stability yet. But it is new much-needed technology.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Strange choice for the project name … it's already well known as "outer solar system belt" and now confusingly applied by Amazon to objects in near Earth area of space :confused:

3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    This should be really interesting. I've been waiting for Amazon to do this. I kinda doubt this will be a good thing for cable or sat providers.

Rich

4. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Yeah, I grimaced the first time I saw that. If they succeed, in the future kids will grow up confused between the near-earth Amazon "belt" and the Kuiper belt. I guess 3,236 Low Earth Orbit satellites surrounding the Earth could be compared to such a belt.

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The acronym for Low Earth Orbit might confuse some folks too. We know you were once a LEO.

Rich

phrelin likes this.
  6. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    One BIG problem with all these LEO satellites - they interfere with Astronomy.

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    and have a short of life

8. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    And LEO constellations are planned by OneWeb, SpaceX, Amazon Project Kuiper, Samsung, Boeing, and China, among others. I'm not sure how, say, 10,000 of these things spinning around up there is going to work out.