Amazon's sneaky way to keep your money on Amazon.

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Rich, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Mar 3, 2016 #1 of 34
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    If you return an item, there is a place where, during the return process, you are asked which return of funds method you prefer. I got caught by this when returning a $200 item I had bought with my Amex bonus points. I had never seen the option for a "Gift Card" return of funds before and accidently hit it. Once you hit that box, you cannot change your mind and put that money where you really wanted it. Believe me, I tried and spent a lot of time on the phone trying to get it off that Gift Card and back on my bonus points and was promised several times that the switch would be made. Never happened. The real problem is you'll see two boxes side by side, one highlighted. Never dawned on me that the highlighted box might not send the bonus point payment back to where it originated. Apparently, Amazon wants to keep that return money on Amazon and not where it originated. Same thing happens with credit card returns. Nothing Amex could do about it, I tried calling them too.

Yet another bad experience with Amazon support and the Amazon CSRs who never seem to have American English as their first language.

Rich

2. Mar 3, 2016 #2 of 34
    billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Rich, just use the gift card to buy stuff from Amazon. They sell just about everything!

3. Mar 3, 2016 #3 of 34
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I've never had a problem returning anything and we've had a couple of complicated situations. I would never talk to anyone at Amazon, however. I prefer to go to this hard to find "contact us" page (sign into your account first). It does involve email interaction after you make the initial contact through the page.

With that said, I would admit that we usually do get a refund in those few cases we returned something over our 18 years as Amazon customers. But we have used the Gift Card option once because of how we paid for the item. Then again, as billsharpe indicates above, we used the gift card to buy stuff as we buy lots of stuff through Amazon.

4. Mar 3, 2016 #4 of 34
    dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Rich, not to be snarky, but you obviously never attempted to cancel AOL!

5. Mar 3, 2016 #5 of 34
    dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    While Amazon is certainly our first go-to to find something, don't forget eBay. Last week, we were looking for a crock pot (the kind to make kraut, not a cooker) and found it from a vendor on ebay at half the price. It did take 3 days instead of 2. Oh, the Horror!

However, selling something on eBay has become a big pain with their fees and postage costs (and whiney customers).

6. Mar 5, 2016 #6 of 34
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That's what Amazon wants, not what I want. I buy a whole lot on Amazon and it really surprises me that they do this.

Rich

7. Mar 5, 2016 #7 of 34
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Dennis, I haven't used AOL since...well, a long time ago and that was very briefly. Probably back in the early-mid '80s. I don't think I ever subscribed to them.

Rich

8. Mar 5, 2016 #8 of 34
    dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I also never subscribed but I helped a few people TRY to cancel their service. It was absolutely the biggest black hole of customer service I've ever experienced.

Signing up was easy!

9. Mar 5, 2016 #9 of 34
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    What was subscribing about? It's been so long that I really don't remember what they charged or what for. Was it Internet access?

Rich

10. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Yeah they used to be who you could buy your dial up and DSL Internet from just like EarthLink.

11. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    No kidding
    A family member passed away so I canceled their account.
    Though that was the end it.
    Three months later that person's checking account was being charged every month but the I confirmed the account was cancelled.

Turns out that the person had signed up for some type of tech support with AOL
    That required a separate cancellation.
    What a scam, they kept charging for services for an account that was cancelled.

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've used the phone option to get issues fixed for years and for the last year or so it has really become a hassle. The other day my son was waiting for an order to arrive after getting a notice that it had been delivered. I've had this happen a couple of times and the packages showed up a couple hours after I got the notice of delivery. After a day of waiting (last Sunday), he asked me what to do. My first suggestion was to call them and I explained how to do that. Then I remembered your posting about using email and told him to try that. He got a well written, easy to understand email back from Amazon and his package finally showed up on Tuesday. You're right, it is now easier to use email. He even got a $5 deposit on his gift card for the problem. I'll never call them up again, I'll use email from now on. Thanx for the suggestion. Worked much better than a phone call.

Rich

1 person likes this.
  13. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I ordered a package from Amazon last week with a promise of one-day delivery. The completed order said delivery would be after April 6. I suppose that's "one" day but it's not the day I was expecting.

At least it was easy to cancel the order immediately. That is the first problem I have ever had with Amazon. But it's good to hear about email contact if there is another problem that isn't so easy to resolve. Thanks!

14. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    I think the gift card is something new on returns, I just ran into it also. My next order automatically came out of the gift card so no biggie, but still don't like it. I am thankful for Amazon, it makes living in the tulies livable. I can have most anything a city offers within a couple days free shipping with prime.

1 person likes this.
  15. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Amazon should have a process to change where refunds go based on the customer's desire. And probably the box shouldn't be pre-checked when you're doing a return.

Another 'let the buyer beware' lesson.

1 person likes this.
  16. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    It seems that changing where refunds go could be creating opportunities for fraud. For instance, right now I have a credit card that is giving me a 5% cash back bonus for Amazon purchases. If I buy something worth $100 on that card, I get a $5 cash back bonus. If I return it, I lose that bonus. Unless, of course, the return goes to another credit card or a gift card.

I'm not sure what you mean by "pre-checked" unless you mean the returned item has to be returned to the Amazon premises before they'll send a replacement. That's like any store.

17. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    During the Refund process, you have two options: Amazon Gift Card or Refund Original Payment Method. The default selection is the Amazon Gift Card (what I termed pre-checked above). Maybe neither should be selected so you have to consciously make the selection.

Rich blew past that and selected the gift card option, which is not what he wanted.

Until Amazon receives the item back, you should be able to control where the Refund goes.

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    They get away with that by saying the "one (or two) day shipping is calculated from the date it's actually shipped". I've never quite understood that. It happens quite frequently.

Rich

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Here's a hypothetical worst case scenario: You don't have much disposable income. You hit a lottery ticket for $5,000. You immediately go out and buy the TV of your dreams, a 65" OLED 4K set from Amazon. It arrives and is set up and a couple days later fails. You fill out the RMA info and accidently hit the gift card box that is highlighted rather than the box that would put the money back in the account you originally used. A week goes by and the return is completed. You wreck your car and need $5,000 to get it fixed. Remember, you don't have much disposable income, no money laying around, no cushion. You need that 5 grand and you need it now. You're not gonna get it from Amazon. That money is gonna stay in that "gift card". That's why I started this thread. I'm not in that situation, I hope I never am, but I know people that are.

Rich

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That box definitely should not be highlighted. The box right next to it should be. That would return the money to the credit card or account that was originally used for the transaction. "Caveat Emptor", indeed.

Rich