American Horror Story Glitch in Recording

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by shendley, Oct 10, 2015.

1. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    So I know this is an old story with AMC, but once again, I was unable to finish watching my recording of the first episode of the new season of American Horror Story. Admittedly, I forgot to add a 15 minute pad to the recording which is what I typically do to avoid this problem with AMC recordings. But this time we were only able to get through 1 hour and 2-3 minutes of a 1 hour and 28 minute recording before we were given the option of keep or delete. Anyone else have this problem? I guess we need to increase the pad on the recording to a half hour now on AMC. Really annoying.

2. jceman

jceman Legend

Aug 20, 2007
    North of...
    What does AMC have to do with FX? ;)

Better be careful with this week's ep as it shows on my guide as running from 2200 to 2342.
    Seems like the times are as weird as the show.

3. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    I don't know why but I always get AMC and FX mixed up.

4. Hot Tub Johnny

Hot Tub Johnny Mentor

Feb 24, 2012
    Same issue here. The recording shows that it's an hour and a half but it just stopped well short of that. It's unreal how long they've had these issues with fx and haven't been able to solve them.
    I'll try padding the series going forward. I seem to remember that working for The Americans.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

5. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    Now, I'm confused. Is this historically an issue with FX or AMC or both? I noticed today that I have a 15 minute pad on The Walking Dead as well, but can't remember if it's for this issue.

6. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Mine showed a 1:30 recording but prompted a delete at 1hr into it.

I am set for another record on Tues 10/13 at 12:17am.
    I padded it one hour just in case.

7. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    My wife padded the show for 5 minutes extra and we just watch the show to its entirety. Weird show....

8. jerseynewyorker

jerseynewyorker New Member

Jun 20, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    The guide listed this past episode as 1hr 30min. I set it to record with no padding and had no problem watching it to the end. I don't remember ever having a problem during last season, as long as the length was correct in the guide.

9. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Had the same problem here. Recording showed 1:30 but it stopped at around 1:04. Discovered after reading this thread, yesterday. (Forgotten I'd recorded this one.) Single recording set from the guide, no series manager.

Good to know for sure, now, that this one (HR44/500) can't be trusted with FX. I'll be experimenting with Fargo, and have that one backed up by an old HR21.

I'd like to know: Is the easiest workaround simply to add padding an FX series manager setting?

(To add insult, FX or DirecTV(R) - or both - have decided that AHS will only be available On Demand for < 4 days [Also discovered too late.] Expiration times have been moved back from midnight to start of prime time times.)

I'll be attempting to pick up EP1 repeat (and probably the missing - or blocked-off) end of Fargo premiere with a manual recording Monday night.

10. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    FX and the Genie. No-one knows why, and DirecTv haven't fixed the problem.

11. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    It happened using my Genie HR34-700.
    If it is a Genie issue, then it might be all of them.

12. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    Genie HR 44 here. And we had this problem multiple times last season as well.

13. rmmccann

rmmccann AllStar

Apr 16, 2012
    ND, USA
    Same problem here.

Interestingly enough, tried the FXNow app on my Samsung TV. When I attempted to FF to the part where I got cut off, was greeted with a "Video not available at this time" error message in their App EVERY TIME. I finally FF to just before the cutoff (about 3 minutes before) and was able to watch the entire episode.

I'm hoping that was entirely coincidence, however it could indicate the problem goes deeper than just the Genie and might be some underlying bug with FX and DirecTV integration (via guide data maybe, however I think this is provided by a third party so I don't know). I was required to log in with DirecTV credentials to activate the FXNow app, which is the only reason I'm coming to this unlikely conclusion.

14. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    No problems with the rerun.

15. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Used manual recordings successfully to get first 2 eps of AHS (ep1 Monday repeat and ep2 first-run). May try week after next with conventional guide-set recording and see what happens.

I was pleasantly surprised to find first ep. of Fargo recorded and played back all the way through (1:09) and had been set with a series manager (1st-run) from the guide.

16. augisdad

augisdad AllStar

Sep 29, 2011
    KC area
    Was 31 minutes into AHS when I looked and saw it was 1hr 30min show. Oh cr@p - was Sunday already, and hadn't thought to check and see if it got the whole show. Sure enough, spaced to the end - and it jumps back to 1:05 min mark and asks if I want to delete. Found it showing again and re-recorded episode. Had not set it up on my HR20 yet to catch it. When I saw this weeks episode was over the 1hr :05 min mark I went ahead and cancelled the 1st showing and picked up the next one. It recorded fine.

Only with FX

Amazing that its has been a year and a half now that this has been happening.

17. rmmccann

rmmccann AllStar

Apr 16, 2012
    ND, USA
    I haven't checked mine, but I tried the padding method. In the past that has worked OK for me. Not 100%, but better than no padding. I'm sure I'll be either looking for a rerun or struggling with FXNow again.

Funny, the ONLY thing a DVR needs to do right is record shows and the Genie can't seem to hack it. I don't really care whose fault it is, it just needs to be fixed. As it stands right now, I'm blaming DirecTV.

18. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    And I'm not understanding why the on-demand gets yanked so soon. Do they just not want us to watch, or what (especially when they can "force" commercials!)?

Other channels will at least leave at least a few episodes worth of content up long enough to catch something missed.

19. rmmccann

rmmccann AllStar

Apr 16, 2012
    ND, USA
    I don't understand why content doesn't stay on-demand indefinitely. If you want to compete with cord-cutting services like Netflix and Hulu, this seems like a no-brainer.

Just think: if these channels started keeping every episode of every season available after it aired, they'd probably GAIN subscribers. They also (as you stated) solve the DVR problem of fast forwarding through commercials.

20. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    I was having this issue on FX with Bastard Executioner. But just watched the 10/6 episode that was recorded after I got the current 0xa72 software and my HR44 recorded the entire 1:22 of the show instead of stopping with delete/don't delete prompt at the 1:05 mark. I had no padding set up for the series link. A good sign hopefully.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

1 person likes this.