1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

American Idol 2009

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Hutchinshouse, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    American Idol starts tonight. Set your DVRs.

Bring on the fun! This is one of the few shows that gets my whole family around the TV.

:icon_band

2. IndyMichael

IndyMichael Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2003
    Indiana
    Should be a great season. I read they're having many fewer rejects and many more contenders being shown early on.

3. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    First round has been expanded from 24 to 36

4. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    They're also bringing back "Wild Card Week".

12 performers each week, with 3 advancing to the finals. After that, the judges will pick who returns for the 4th week, with the final 3 advancing from that show to the top 12.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdai...es-2009-schedule-brings-back-wild-card-round/

I'll admit that I'll be somewhat disappointed if they move TOO far away from the bad singers in the audition shows. A good portion of those bad singers leave me in stitches! It will be nice to see more of the people moving on though - it's rough when you get to the final 24 and it's 'almost' the first time you've seen some of those people.

Hopefully they can find a good balance between showing the bad singers that I find so amusing and introducing us to more of the "contenders".

5. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    The commercials I've seen so far are pointing to this as well.

Too bad... that's the only part of Idol I watch. :sure: :D

6. jhollan2

jhollan2 Godfather

Aug 31, 2006
    I WANT A BLOOPERS SHOW!!! I have to listen to the good people for the rest of the season, its the "others" that are fun to watch! No fun...

7. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Watched it and I am happy to report that my expectations were met.

8. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    Anyone else notice a soft pixilation problem with last night's show? It was apparent at times, particular right after a scene change (camera change). Anyone else see this? It was almost as if my DVR could not process the image (scene change) quick enough.

Details in my setup (if needed)

9. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I saw that also - mostly in the lower 1/3 of the picture. Sort of a shimmer effect.

As for the show, they seem to show fewer auditions (good and bad) each year, but it wasn't bad. The new judge certainly livened up the panel.

10. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    I saw it, also. I'm glad others saw it, too. I thought it was just my setup.

11. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    So did the "bikini girl"

12. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    I can't believe they even bothered to put her through to hollywood. She was horrible.

And as good as she looked, it didn't overrule the fact that I wanted to reach into my TV screen and slap her upside the head!

The look on Ryan's face when she tried to make out with him by the pool was classic though.

13. davemayo

davemayo Hall Of Fame

Nov 17, 2005
    +1

Finally got around to watching the first two episodes last night and I thought it was me.

14. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    They shouldn't have put bikini girl through to Hollywood. Simon and Randy should have had better sense than that. It would have been different if the girl was hot and could sing.

15. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    It'll be interesting to see what happens with Jason Castro's brother. I enjoyed him much more than I ever liked Jason. Loved the brother (whose name I cannot recall) trying to explain to Jason what he "really" meant when he told the interviewer that Jason was "more femenine".

16. jadebox

jadebox Godfather

Dec 13, 2004
    I've never been a fan of "American Idol." I've never been a fan of reality shows in general.

But .... my wife's cousin, Jackie Tohn, was one of those shown auditioning for American Idol on last night's show. For those who saw the episode, she was the one auditioning in New York when the screen fell down on the judges.

Jackie started out by singing a song that just wasn't a good choice. Fortunately, the judges asked her to try something different and Jackie sang a bit of a song she had written and the performance was excellent. I guess it's not a spoiler for me to say that she was picked to be a contestant.

So, now, I have a reason to watch the show. :)

BTW, something similar happened a while back. My wife and I watched the series "On the Lot" because Jackie was one of the actresses appearing in the films the contestants directed.

-- Roger

17. jadebox

jadebox Godfather

Dec 13, 2004
    My wife's cousin, Jackie Tohn, is now one of the "Top 36" contestants!

She's one of the twelve singers competing tonight (2/17). So, as a favor to a fellow DbsTalker, I'm asking everyone to watch tonight then call in to vote for Jackie. The calls are toll-free and you can vote more than once! :)

-- Roger

18. Tele-TV

Tele-TV Godfather

Nov 26, 2003
    ^^ I just finished watching Hollywood Week 4 and I saw Jackie. I honestly can't say what I think od them right now because I was just skimming through on my DVR, only because I watched too much Idol in a row.