1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

American Idol (Top 11) 03/14/2012

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Doug Brott, Mar 14, 2012.

Who are your favorites?

1. colton Dixon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. DeAndre Brackensick

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  3. Elise Testone

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Erika Van Pelt

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. Heejun Han

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  6. Hollie Cavanagh

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Jessica Sanchez

14 vote(s)
    58.3%
  8. Joshua Ledet

10 vote(s)
    41.7%
  9. Phillip Phillips

13 vote(s)
    54.2%
  10. Shannon Magrane

14 vote(s)
    58.3%
  11. Skylar Laine

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Who brought it and who lost it? ...

2. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Tough season to pick. I think I'm ready to pick my too four though.

Colton, Hollie, Joshua and Phillip

Jessica could sneak in because she's really good, but I have a feeling she's gonna falter.

I think Colton's gonna win it all ...

3. EdJ

EdJ Legend

Jan 9, 2007
    Why isn't there a choice of "I Don't Care"? :lol:

4. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Yes...it's called don't respond and don't thread crap.

5. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Phillip: Among the people I know, one complaint about PPJ is that all his stuff sounds the same. Several people I talked to last night liked that his performance show a little variety compared to his usual stuff. I agree... I liked it a lot! :)

Jessica: Bad song choice! Granted, this girl can sing anything and it sound great, but still... it was an off week for her! I'm really ticked at Steven for telling her not to sing an up-tempo song. If she sings nothing but ballads, she's going to get a lot of criticism for it (ala Pia).

Heejun: I'm sorry Heejun... I like you, and I like your voice, but between the breathiness and the worse than usual pronunciation, it didn't work for me last night.

Elise: AWESOME!! One of my favorite performances of hers and one of my favorite performances of the night. Add in the fact that while I didn't originally think she was that attractive, I thought she came off very pretty last night.

DeAndre: Ehh... I like DeAndra, but he's done nothing to excite me yet, and last night was no exception. I'm not sure HIS song choice was a good fit for him, but I think the judges steered him wrong with THEIR song choice.

Shannon: Not my favorite performance by her, but I thought it was good. Not great, but good... certainly a step up from last week's performance. I hated the HTC plug, and I'm disappointed in the judges for not knowing about the breathing thing will.i.am told her about.

Colton: Ehh... I think I knew the song, but it did nothing for me. I went away from his performance thinking more about how ugly/uglier his hair was this week than usual... and more so about the fact that his Mom was hot... especially when he was born (as well as the fact that Skyler, who I am a fan of, will probably look like her mom did when Colton was born in a few years...).

Erika: Sounded better in the studio. She was good, but it needed... less.

Skyler: It was decent once she got going, but not that great when she started. I'm not really a fan of hers, but it was pretty good.

Joshua: SUH-WEET!! Nothing much more to say...

Hollie: Not quite as good as Joshua, but still extremely good. Best yet... we know why she has an accent... though I still think she talks with an Australian (hey... we have something in common) accent and her parents talk with a British accent, so I'd like to understand that better, but...

MY FAVORITES: Joshua, Hollie, Elise, Phillip.
    MY VOTES: Phillip, Jessica, Elise, Shannon, Joshua, Hollie

Who's Going Home?! (My Take): If I was going off performances, I'd say Heejun, but between the fact that his personality will get him some votes, and the fact that Randy stating he was in trouble will rally his fan base, he could very well be safe. Picking a virtually unknown song can hurt people, but I expect Colton to probably be safe this early on. Shannon COULD be in trouble, but I expect it to be one of the two Wild Cards... either Erika or DeAndre... probably the latter.

~Alan

6. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Here goes, in the order listed...

1. Joshua
    2. Jessica
    3. Phillip
    4. Skylar

Of course the order is subject to change. Joshua's "botton-three" placement last week was, IMHO, an aberration, but it brought Pia (Season 10) painfully to mind. I hope we're not in for another "teeny-bopper" season.

I agree with the judges that Jessica is much better suited to ballads because of her vibrato. If she has any more bad nights...

I also think the Joshua had the "moment" of the night.

7. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Replace Colton with Jessica, and you have my four favorites. :D

Talent wise, I'd say MY four will be the top four, but I think it's too early for me to predict. I could see Colton sneaking in, as well as Elise sneaking in if she manages to pick better song choices than she did last week... since she has a similar style as Haley R.

As much as I hate to say it, with a predominantly white rural voter group, I'd see Joshua and Jessica both having an uphill battle.

Lauren Alaina made the same prediction... :rolleyes: Some people might have assumed she'd pick Phillip Phillip, Jr. given that they're both from Georgia (heck... Lauren's tour-mate Luke Bryan went to the same high school as PPJ), but Lauren grew up in North Georgia... far closer to where Colton lives than where PPJ does, not to mention that she and Colton probably knew each other from last season. Of course, she could simply think he's better... I'm just stating that I don't see why people assumed she'd pick PPJ.

Unlike your Scotty prediction last year (which I'm still mad at you about, regardless of the fact it turned out true), I'm not as offended by Colton, because at least his performances don't make me want to cringe, but aside from one performance by him prior to live voting, I simply haven't heard anything that spoke to me personally. :(

Not to mention that unlike last year where I (unfortunately) knew several people that liked Scotty, I don't really know any people who like Colton that much... heck, I know more Jermaine Jones fans than Colton Dixon fans.

If vocal talent doesn't win out (Joshua, Jessica, Hollie), I still see PPJ winning over Colton. Taking the WGWG thing out of the picture, PPJ seems to have a lot of the young girls votes... though it's possible Colton might have more. I don't know...

It's still too early for me to make any prediction I feel comfortable with. It's only the third week of live voting.

~Alan

8. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    My hope is that it was an aberration, but while he's my Mom's favorite so far, and one of my favorites, of the several people I've spoken to, he's not one of their favorites. Interestingly enough, I'm hearing from them similar reasons for why they didn't care that much for Pia :)eek2:).

I think she would have been fine if she had picked a better song for her. People were criticizing Pia last year for mostly singing ballads. She needs to mix it up...

Indeed...

~Alan

9. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I hope Heejun gets axed. I don't like him. Decent voice but ever since the attitude he showed during the auditions, I hope he goes home sooner rather than later.

10. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    WOW!!! :eek2:

~Alan

11. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    My favorites: I think Phillip is really talented, and Hollie really surprised me last night. I thought Jessica was great last week but not so good this week. I need to see them more to know for sure. Colton is my final pick for my current favorites. He's different and the show needs different.

12. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO

+1

13. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Phillip and Hollie were excellent. To a lesser degree, so was Jessica. But I think Joshua took the prize last night.

Colton, on the other hand seems to come from the rocker-dime-a-dozen club. IMHO he doesn't appear "different" to me. I think of Daughtry and Lambert and it sorta puts Colton into perspective... and neither one of them won either.

14. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia

If Daughtry had won over McPhee, or McPhee over Daughtry, I would have been happy either way. To me... Daughtry was one of the greatest contestants that AI has ever had.

Lambert was also something special...

Colton... well, I wouldn't consider him in the rocker dime-a-dozen club, but I don't consider him "special." I think he has the potential to be... I just don't think he's there yet.

~Alan

15. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO

Ok, I let my emotions get to me... of course Colton has the p o t e n t i a l. He just needs to work at it.

I don't think Daughtry deserves the compliment you pay him. As for me, I can't come up with a candidate for best-ever contestant until I recover from a mysterious relapse of McPheever. :D

16. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    I'd like to be truly impressed by him... I just haven't been. :(

I said "one of". I'm not going to pick a favorite.... I'm a fan of multiple ones with different styles, different strengths.

~Alan

17. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Assuming he works at it, he may very well impress you some day ... just not in time for this week's elimination.

Wow, sounds like a tag line for Marvel comic books. :lol:

18. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Finally watched it. My "top 3" this week turned out to actually be a "top 4"

Joshua (wow!)
    Hollie
    Phillip/Colton tied

Looks like Joshua had a week like Jessica had last week. I hope being so good so early doesn't disappoint voters who expect that from them each time out!

19. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Wow. Can't believe they didn't save

Shannon

I thought it was a great "sing for your life" performance, especially considering the pressure that must have been felt while singing it. Judges are tough this year!

Also, I thought America got the bottom 3 wrong. I personally would have put Heejun and DeAndre in there, instead of any 2 of the 3 that were there.

20. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    The person gone deserved the boot...they were bad.