1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Analog vs. Digital

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by igator99, Oct 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. igator99

igator99 Godfather

Jul 28, 2006
    When we get pounded by rain the OTA digital signal goes in and out like satellite. The old anaolg signal still works even in the worst weather. When every station goes digital, will the stations power up their signals?

2. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    If you are to far from the transmitter or your OTA is not pointed in the right dir then a weak sig will go blank. Anlog just gets snowy. Feb 2009 analog is gone so you should get a good outdoor OTA befour that. how far are you from the transmitter?

3. terryfoster

terryfoster Godfather

Nov 14, 2006
    Yes, there will be power increases and frequency changes, so I wouldn't recommend designing a solution until after the switchover.

4. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Many of the stations have mounted the antennas for their digital signals down on the sides of the towers (with the analog antennas remaining on top). Some of them will revert to the same frequencies now used for analog (using the higher antennas), while those who keep their digital frequencies will move the antennas to the top of the towers.

Also, analog will degrade slowly as the signal goes down, while the digital picture will remain good until it goes out altogether (with a small range of breaking up between the two states).

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    All other things being equal (previous posters have shown that they are not) a digital signal should have better propagation and therefore better picture quality than analog signals. That's part of the mandate of digital TV - to provide more signal to more homes.

6. igator99

igator99 Godfather

Jul 28, 2006
    So when the weather hits hard will the digital signal stay on like analog? It might be a bad picture but you still get one in the worst weather. Digital seems to go out like digital satellite.

7. drx792

drx792 Icon

Feb 27, 2007
    i never lost OTA even in hurricanes down here in FL. Maybe a small amount of pixeling but thats it.

8. igator99

igator99 Godfather

Jul 28, 2006
    I guess I'm to far from the transmitters which are about 40 -50 miles.

9. BK EH

BK EH Legend

Oct 3, 2005
    Digital will be there or it won't -- it will not degrade to snow like analog. It will macro-block and pixelate or go dark. It's 1's and 0's... it's there or it's not.

10. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Watch your analog picture when digital is going out. If you see lots of static bursts (from lightning, a bad ground on the antenna, or a bad connection) your digital will drop out. You can't fix lightning but you can fix the other items, or increase the signal with a bigger or more directional antenna. If its a VHF digital, you are just out of luck. Lightning will kill it everytime unless you have a very strong signal to begin with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.