1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Annoying Phone Calls...Gone?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Rich, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I think I've found a way to get rid of unwanted phone calls. I only have a cell phone, no landline. My Samsung Note 4 (yeah, I know it's old) has a Do Not Disturb function and I dug into that function last week and modified the way my phone deals with calls. I went thru all me recent calls and made the callers I want to talk to Contacts. Then I set the phone so that only my Contact numbers can go thru. I figure anyone that really wants to talk to me that's not a Contact can always use my voicemail. Seems so simple and it works! I have not heard one quack (ringtone for all unknown callers) since I made the changes. I have received a lot of unwanted calls, my cell phone tracks all calls and not one voicemail...it works! I have the Do Not Disturb function set to Always On.

Rich

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    So you're blocking anyone who isn't a contact. I have another level of filtering. At 9pm, my phone goes to Do Not Disturb. But I have My Favorites set to ring through no matter what time. Currently my Favorites are only my immediate family members. So after 9pm, everyone goes to voice mail but My Favorites.

3. jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    This is a good idea. I am going to have to set something like this up.

4. Wolfmanjohn

Wolfmanjohn Cool Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Chico, CA
    If I'm near the office when an unfamiliar number shows on my landline caller ID, I go in there and hit the fax accept button on the all-in-one; the crackpot calls have decreased significantly since I started doing that.

Rich and jimmie57 like this.
  5. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    If you have an Android, a great app is SHOULD I ANSWER. It crowd sources good vs bad numbers. You can help by providing feedback on numbers. It's not perfect but yesterday blocked 4 SPAM CALLs. Phone never even rang. Its 4.8 stars. It's free but its so good I made a donation.

Sorry iOS users. Its not really free there. To work real time, you have to pay $1.99/month. Not sure why it's different there but you get one month free to try it. But it will renew if you don't cancel.

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That's what I used to do. The way I'm doing it now works similarly, just 24 hours a day.

Rich

7. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Took me about a half hour to set up the phone, haven't had a robocall get thru since.

Rich

8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    What I did might be simpler. Phone never rings when a call comes in from someone not a Contact. My phone, the Note 4, is getting close to four years old, I'd think every Android phone has the ability to do what I did.

Yeah, the IOS apps never seem to be without cost and I rarely pay for Android apps, never understood why.

Rich

9. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    What if somebody is legit calling you from a number you aren't expecting? Then you'll never get it.

No point in blocking #'s either because they just spoof the caller id. There is a way to block all the numbers that your phone lists as "Scam Likely". Dial #662#. That doesn't block all the calls, but it has reduced them by a lot for me.

jimmie57 likes this.
  10. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    I simply don't answer calls I don't want / can't take at the moment. My voicemail has a message to leave me name, Number, and purpose of call. If the caller can't do that - they're not worth my time.

On the spoof - in general - if the call has the same first 6 digits as mine - I don't answer. They have never left a voicemail....

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    They can leave a voicemail.

I'm not blocking any numbers. My phone doesn't let any numbers not listed as Contacts go thru.

Rich

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I started this method a week ago. Since then I have not had one quack on my phone. Not one. Tell me how this doesn't work.

Rich

13. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Just be sure you include in the "allowed" numbers the emergency services evacuation notification dialer numbers. These systems are evolving in California so you might want to check for changes monthly for a year or two.

In some areas, these used to be neighborhood "phone trees" and some might still exist.

Rich and trh like this.
  14. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I have had good luck with NoMoRobos. I also have an answering machine to pick up calls from unknown numbers. I set the machine to six rings; often unwanted callers give up after four rings. FiOS digital voice also lets me block up to 100 callers. I've done that for a few persistent numbers that NoMoRobos did not pick up.

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Well, it's been two weeks and no unwanted calls have come thru. Many attempts but none successful. This method appears to work...

Rich

16. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    I have started to answer calls from unknown numbers to my iPhone with “Thank you for choosing Dominos! May I start with you telephone number?”

jimmie57 likes this.
  17. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    There is a newer version of this called : Should I Answer Personal Edition - Android Apps on Google Play

Are you using it ? If no, why not ? I am looking at installing this on my Android phone.
    Thanks

18. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    I had two voice mails from the “update center” on my CenturyLink land line advertising a *98* service. The first was last November and one last month. I did a search but can’t find anything on it. CL claims it is supposed to stop all robocalls. *98 is used to retrieve voice mail.
    Edit: I listended to the voice mail again and it is called MAXCommand. It's a new service from CL.
    MAXcommand - Official Site - Home

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018